Gauge Makers

Thread: Gauge Makers

Gauge Makers

Are there any developers besides Reality XP that make gauges for FSX. I like what I see at the RXP site, but I want to see all available before I buy something. I just want to dress up a few a/c in my hangar.
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Theres nothing out there that compares to the RXP GNS430 or 530 WAAS, IMHO. They are in a league of their own. I don't know what I'd do without my beloved 430.

I've seen many people use the friendly panels radio stacks too.

The only other options I know of are Simflyer and Friendly Panels. Neither is in the same class as RXP, but they don't carry the overhead, or the price, either. I've used both. They are based on the Default GPS but look and function much better. For example, the Simflyer GNS480 and I think GNS530 has TIS displays.

You make your choices and pay your bills.

Glenn

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Also, are the gauges in XML FSX format, and does that really matter from a performance perspective?

SimFlyer, if I am correct, make their gauges with XML code. XP make theirs in GAU format, which is a sealed/encoded/encrypted format. Personally, I like gauges in XML format. The textures seem more pure. But thats just me. With digital avionics, you have alot of font and not alot of graphics, so it wouldnt matter between XML and GAU formats.

With XML coding, FSX introduced a different code. I dont know why... I really dont. XML is XML, but if you change the XML, then FSX gauges will not work in FS9, and perhaps thats why they did it. I dont know. Thus, you have two versions of XML now out there. Now, if the FSX XML runs faster, then thats a plus. But if its the exact same 'speed' or performance, then why? Thats a different story altogether though.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

All my gauges are basically descendants of the default FS9 XML gauges. I just keep changing the tex's. The coding stays pretty much the same, why reinvent the wheel? Like LH says, reinventing the XML for FSX, seemed so uhh... useless?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    All my gauges are basically descendants of the default FS9 XML gauges. I just keep changing the tex's. The coding stays pretty much the same, why reinvent the wheel? Like LH says, reinventing the XML for FSX, seemed so uhh... useless?
    Note useless by any means! FSX XML has a ton of new features, mostly dealing with vector drawing...

For example, you can have a true dynamic ARC, as well as dynamic rectangles, i.e., objects that change their size, height or width in response to an input variable.

However, do not mistake me for an FSX XML fanboy, 'cause I simply won't use it except in very, very special circumstances! :ernae:

As for RXP, Jean Luc wrote a very clever interface to allow the Garmin Trainer to run in the background... He did NOT write the actual GNS code at all. Mind you, it's an excellent bit of work, but give the credit for the actual GNS to Garmin, not RXP.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    As for RXP, Jean Luc wrote a very clever interface to allow the Garmin Trainer to run in the background... He did NOT write the actual GNS code at all. Mind you, it's an excellent bit of work, but give the credit for the actual GNS to Garmin, not RXP.
    You made this point on AVSIM and it turned into a fight...

Regardless of what RXP DID do, there is nothing out there that compares to the 430 or 530, IMHO. However, they do come at a price. I believe they were 50 USD each last time I checked.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Note useless by any means! FSX XML has a ton of new features, mostly dealing with vector drawing...

For example, you can have a true dynamic ARC, as well as dynamic rectangles, i.e., objects that change their size, height or width in response to an input variable.

However, do not mistake me for an FSX XML fanboy, 'cause I simply won't use it except in very, very special circumstances! :ernae:

Thanks Bill for bringing me up to speed on that with vectored drawing and scale in FSX XML. I wasnt aware of that. Very good to know.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Thanks for the info fellas. Very informative read.
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Blog Entries
    There is a French company called Skyware which has a gauge program called FSXPand http://cockpitsolutions.com/

They allow you to run either on the same computer or a second using a LAN. The PSXPand gauges are modifiable by the user and there is even a guage making program.

There are a wide mix of GA and airliner gauges already in the database. Not many military gauges, unfortunately.

also another set of free gauges is made by JeeHell. They can be found here: http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16313

Lastly, Sim Avionics makes a complete set of airliner gauges. http://www.sim-avionics.com/
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

www.flightdecksoft.com has gauges for download. Memory serves right they can be run on a second PC also.