FSX Auster Autocat uploaded - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: FSX Auster Autocat uploaded

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Some very brilliant repaints guys! Keep up the excellent work. Thanks for sharing.

:ernae: :ernae:

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    I couldn't care less whether a repaint is accurate, or fictional, as long as it's well done and looks good

Here's to all the painters who've taken the time to repaint my Auster
    Thank you for that comment Dave, there are some lovely repaints out there and I've got most of them.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

All I know is this is a beautiful model, with some beautiful repaints (ta for all the Aussie ones, Jankees - they are great!).
    Dave - I really love the handles that swing in the VC (only noticed that last night!). This is one awesome little plane!
    "What do you hear?" "Nothing but the rain!" "Then grab your gun and bring the cat in!" "Boom, boom, boom!"

Jankees, that last screen shot of the VH-KBA paint (very Nice colors) the scenry in the back ground, If I may, where is it? looks like a great place to fly this wonderful bird.

This is a great plane!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Probably the most infamous Autocrat was G-AGXT. First registered in June 1946 this was owned by the Elstree Flying Club and was hired by a Donald Hulme who disposed of the body of his secretary over the Thames marshes - not all at once, but in rather small pieces. Not very nice at all.

For more information on this, please read:
    http://www.austerclub.org/magazine/murder.pdf

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by calypsos View Post
    I think I must be mellowing...:isadizzy:

If you owned a real one, you could paint how you wanted it!
    My thoughts entirely. We've taken Beagle Terriers (ex Auster AOP.6s) to airshows and 'anoraks - i.e. spotters' have come up to us and said you cant have that aeroplane in those colours as its a civilian Terrier and not a 6. B*llo*ks......if they want to spend the time and the money on the rebuild as we have, then they can have it in any colour they like, but as it was originally to that airframe, then it is within every right to have it in its original colours.

If they dont like it tough!!

I would rather see something in an original scheme relevant to that particular model, than something a little out of the ordinary, but as you say, each to their own. Where I fly from, we like to get things correct (sometimes we're wrong - you cant be perfect everytime), but when possible we rectify the error to represent the real aeroplane. I've even seen serials change from white to black when new evidence has emerged. Its just nice to fly something that is true to life and not the figment of someone's imagination. This of course goes back to the original quote, but these aeroplanes are our part of our heritage and so making them that little bit more authentic, makes it all worthwhile.

Martin

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    Jankees, that last screen shot of the VH-KBA paint (very Nice colors) the scenry in the back ground, If I may, where is it? looks like a great place to fly this wonderful bird.

Yes.. Jankees, what airport is that? I am guessing its part of OzX.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Liking your BDX repaint Jankees! :ernae:

I agree with the above posts. As I alluded to above not only the paint schemes change over time many Austers have been converted inot diffrent models over time as well so it gets confusing..plus the model designation system for Austers is also a bit confsuing..a bit like Waco.

In any case I dont mind ficticious repaints at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post

I agree with the above posts. As I alluded to above not only the paint schemes change over time many Austers have been converted inot diffrent models over time as well so it gets confusing..plus the model designation system for Austers is also a bit confsuing..a bit like Waco.

In any case I dont mind ficticious repaints at all.
    I've flown/in numerous types of Auster and for a company that was so prolific, there were so many variations, that at times I myself cant keep up with this or that version. As to people that are new to this aeroplane since Dave's creation then at times I can understand the confusion with different marques and versions, but an Autocrat is that and nothing else, not an Alpha, an Alpine or an Aiglet, but just an Autocrat. The classification of these could have been made a little easier, but nope it wasnt and so confusion reigns, not just for sim pilots but for real ones too!!

One of my latest additions to my logbook has changed its identity 3 times, so what is that? The first or last marque - its all so confusing!

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by doublecool View Post
    The airfield in that shot, and in fact all my shots in this thread, is YHBA, Hervey Bay, the latest airfield by Orbx, with AU gold in the background.
    If you haven't tried their sceneries, you're missing out on something!

I hope to finish VH-KBA today, I will upload it here and at OZx.

edit: and uploaded, happy flying!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Oh dear, I seemed to have stirred up a hornet's nest.
    Roger, you are quite right, sometimes I do tend to lose sight of the 'fun factor'! Perhaps this is because there are so many 'real' paint schemes I want to do that I have little or no time to do any fictional ones.
    I would like to apologise to Banana Bob, Jeansy and Jankees if it appeared I was rubbishing their painting skills - I was not, just the application against wrong types of Auster. I must confess that you all have a far superior grasp of Paint Shop Pro / Photoshop techniques than I have!
    Jankees - I was amused by your last post inviting me to criticize the paints are excellent, however(you knew that was coming didn't you!) ZK-BDX is an Aiglet and VH-KBA is a J5 Adventurer(this is however externally identical to the Autocrat, fin and all). I have to say that the HB-EOF, EI-AUM,PH-NFH, F-PAGD and G-AJRC are 100% accurate and If I had not recently deleted FSX I would be using them.

Banana Bob - G-AHSS is a superb paint but as Martin pointed out it is a J1N Alpha (you have painted this on the fin!).

Naki - I also use Ed Coates site extensively - I paint a lot of Aussie vintage aircraft as it is of particular interest to me(35 so far). To answer your question 'how do you tell the difference' between Autocrat and Aiglet, it is simple, just look at the tail fin and rudder. The Aiglet/Alpha are much larger and do not have the 'rod and counterweight' at the top.

Aussieman - Pat, you are correct in your assumption, I am based at Luton in the UK. Many thanks for the link to the excellent Oz Auster site. Your statement 'every VH-*** repaint is dead accurate' is, to use your phrase 'UTTER RUBBISH'. Please revisit the site you mentioned and look again, checcking the fin and rudder and even the description given of the mark of Auster.

regards to all and apologies for any offence taken from my original post. Incidentally my paints are only on www.classicbritishfiles.com if anyone wishes to fire back regarding my ability! Incidentally I confess I made a mistake with one Autocrat Oz paint - see if you can see which one.

Peter Watkins

Quote Originally Posted by Techy111 View Post
    Cup of tea anyone....?
    don't mind if I do....

no wait, I smell a challenge

according to this page, ZK-BDX is an autocrat: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/ZK-BDX.html ( I wondered about the tail though)

VH-KBA is an J5 adventurer, which is externally identical??
    so what are we worrying about?

and these weren't even painted at the time of your original post?

as for my paints, I can tell you that most are not 100% accurate (I doubt that that is possible anyway), but that I do take shortcuts here and there, with fonts, thickness of lines etc.

But since you claim to be 100% accurate, I can tell you I found a mistake in F-PAGD (you knew this was coming right? Look behind the registration on the fuselage). Funnily enough, I made a different mistake in exactly the same location, so now neither one is right. Phew!
    I can't say anything about the rest, I haven't researched them.

One thing I can say is that the Autocrat looks much better in FSX than in FS9, I'm glad I deleted that!

Oh well, as long as we all enjoy ourselves.

Anyone with more Austers (of every kind) on their wish-list?

Now where is that cup of tea?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

I can see people liking authenticity and all but being polite is always in style.

Me I like the realism and follow Jankees paints as I find they are pretty on the mark on the whole and I've seen him offer constructive advice to other painters to help them get their paints "right".

BUT, I like the fun factor and freedom of ficticious paints too. I tool around in this

all the time.

Before anyone asks for it I never finished it because I suck at painting and was never happy enough with it to inflict it on others.

Cheers all and I'll take a double double coffee if it's not too much trouble thank you.

Cool Jug!!

I'll have a kiwi milk shake please:

Thanks jankees, it's my hot rod that is never finished. Just like many real hot rods, gets tinkered with but never finnished.

I like South Wind, I'll have to get that when it's up. Man I've got a lot of your paints, thanks for doin' 'm.

Hey...what do you mean...? Kiwi Milk Shake....I was just bringing you a cuppa tea....Sugar..?

Tony

Thanks Tony!

But by now, it's getting time for a beer, preferably a Belgian beer:

This aircraft is part of the Belgian Army Museum collection, but it's in storage, and in parts...so this paintjob is probably not 100% accurate.

Hic....go on then...I'll have what he's having....:ernae:

Nice fella....

Tony

SOH-CM-2024
    Gents, I am drooling. I have not downloaded this yet, haven't seen it until I ventured into this sticky. Please provide a link. If CBFS is "Classic British Flight Sim", I cannot find it. Need it, all repaints awaiting. Does a Paint kit come with the install?

Caz

The aircraft here at the Outhouse, or on Classic British Files
    The paint kit is only available on the CBFSim forum at the moment, in the new releases area. You need to be a member there to see that section.

SOH-CM-2024
    Thanks Dave, found it here at SOH near the bottom of Latest Uploads. I just registered at CBFS, will head that way for the Paint Kit. Then I'm gonna sit back in my A/C and have a nice slow flight, you're a bloody genius.

Caz

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Thanks Dave, found it here at SOH near the bottom of Latest Uploads. I just registered at CBFS, will head that way for the Paint Kit. Then I'm gonna sit back in my A/C and have a nice slow flight, you're a bloody genius.

Caz
    yup well worth registering at cbfs
    lots of good stuff and good folks
    H

It should never be down just to how an aeroplane looks - being a simulator, I would have thought that it would be better to feel how the aeroplane handles in the air - i.e. to make a true replica of the real thing. Trying something new every now and again, educates me on how different aeroplanes feel and I'm then lucky enough to be in the position to try something perhaps that I couldn't fly in real life.

We can all see these nice colourful colours and schemes, but deep down FSX is a simulator and the challenge is to get into something new and take it up in the wild blue and achieve something - landing is good for a start. I like to fly cross countries without the aid of GPS, just using a map and a compass (like it should be done?), but then again, sometimes I'm 'unsure of position'

Otherwise if everything was the same, it will just be akin to riding a train along a track, with every aeroplane having the same performance and characteristics. Its the flying of these aeroplanes that counts more than anything, not just the colours that it is wearing.

Martin

Members who have read this thread: 2