Truly Amazing Freeware Scenery!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truly Amazing Freeware Scenery!

Charter Member 2016

Truly Amazing Freeware Scenery!

This scenery is a couple of years old already, but I have encountered no airfield, freeware OR payware that has bettered this addon scenery for quality. Several have matched, none bettered!

Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Scenery Pellston Regional Airport Images related to this file:

File Description:
    Highly realistic rendition of Pellston Regional Airport in Northern Michigan. This scenery features full seasonal textures, night lighting, animated road traffic and comes complete with a landclass-scenery for the entire northern tip of the Lower Michigan peninsula. It is optimized for high frame rates through extensive use of libraries containing custom objects made in Gmax.

Filename: kpln_fs2004.zip License: Freeware, limited distribution Added: 17th May 2007 Downloads: 6243 Author: Matthias Rauh Size: 37181kb
    Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - AFCAD Files Pellston Regional Airport File Description:
    Updated AFCAD for Pellston Regional Airport. Commuter planes now park at the gates as they should. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Filename: kpln_afcad.zip License: Freeware Added: 23rd May 2007 Downloads: 1156 Author: Matthias Rauh Size: 3kb
    Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Scenery Pellston Regional Airport - Patch
    File Description:
    This patch for Pellston Regional Airport eliminates the random building crashes some users experienced. Furthermore, the height of the trees in the approach paths for RWYs 14 and 23 was reduced.

Filename: kpln_fs2004_patch.zip License: Freeware Added: 29th May 2007 Downloads: 1659 Author: Matthias Rauh Size: 49kb
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Wow !! Your aren't kidding. This is very good. Moving road traffic and all. ( how'd he do that??) Fabulous. Thanks for the HU.

Yes very nice sceneries. And it raises a point which maybe we should explore more. There are many older files both freeware and payware which are above and beyond but never or rarely get a mention. Any new simmer would be unaware unless the files got specifically referred to. I was only yesterday flying south from Van to Seattle and Portland in FS9 and those sceneries of KSEA (FlyTampa) and KPDX (FlightZone) are fantastic (both payware) and as good if not better than anything in FSX. Should we have a running sticky in each forum for such suggestions?

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    I like to find a freeware developer that would give Yellowknife, Canada a make over. Thunder Bay to Yellowknife is a beautiful flight.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Yes very nice sceneries. And it raises a point which maybe we should explore more. There are many older files both freeware and payware which are above and beyond but never or rarely get a mention. Any new simmer would be unaware unless the files got specifically referred to. I was only yesterday flying south from Van to Seattle and Portland in FS9 and those sceneries of KSEA (FlyTampa) and KPDX (FlightZone) are fantastic (both payware) and as good if not better than anything in FSX. Should we have a running sticky in each forum for such suggestions?
    Good idea...
    I started an Austrian Scenery thread with this idea in mind, because there are two excellent payware sceneries at each end of the country, bracketing some equally good freeware offerings.
    I've managed only to produce the map so far, but hope to do the flights showing some of the sceneries. Having too much fun elsewhere, unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Should we have a running sticky in each forum for such suggestions?
    That's actually not a bad idea. Let me do some head scratching - I don't want to have something that just gets out of control and uninformative.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

In the meantime, there's another way to find some of the better files from "back when." Go to Flightsim's Advanced Search, Select FS2004 Scenery at the top, and sort by Date aat the bottom, then click the Search button. You're likely to come across some forgotten "gems" from the past!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Well, this out does Pattonville.

I have to almost say the car traffic outdoes FSX, lolol.... I cannot believe this.

I also downloaded the Mackinag (however its spelled) Island VFR scenery packs that he recommends in the ReadMe.

Goodness... Definately worth being a sticky. This is A1 man!

How on earth does he have so much car traffic in FS9 in one small area???? How???

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

While a sticky would be good in the long run, especially for those areas that a few hold dear, in the meantime this is a good resource for scenery.

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

It not only covers FS2004 but 2002 and FSX also.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

and its' worth mentioning (again) that many,many fine FS2002 and CFS2 sceneries work well in FS2004

(and even some fs2000 ones can work , with a bit of experimentation vis-a-vie
    layers and excludes!)

ttfn

Pete

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Trans_1007 View Post
    I like to find a freeware developer that would give Yellowknife, Canada a make over. Thunder Bay to Yellowknife is a beautiful flight.
    search 'Sidney Schwartz' at Avsim

ttfn

Pete

Yes, I've had this scenery for a little while now, very well done. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    Wow !! Your aren't kidding. This is very good. Moving road traffic and all. ( how'd he do that??) Fabulous. Thanks for the HU.

In the Pelston scenery directory you will find a file named "anim_lib.bgl".
    This is the animated traffic. You can add this to any scenery you want with Instant Scenery for certain, and probably with other scenery creators.

There is another in the Bueckeburg scenery named "ETHB_roadtraffic_lib.bgl".

SOH-CM-2014
    Thanks Terry for the heads up.

Would one simply copy/paste those files into a scenery folder of another scenery package and they would simply show up?

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Thanks Terry for the heads up.

Would one simply copy/paste those files into a scenery folder of another scenery package and they would simply show up?

Bill
    No, it must be installed with a scenery placement program. Runway 12 is free, Instant Scenery is payware.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    search 'Sidney Schwartz' at Avsim

ttfn

Pete
    What im saying is Yellowknife needs some new life breathed into it. It is a major Bush area and cargo hub with some of what i think is breath taking scenery in Canada.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by EMatheson View Post
    This scenery is a couple of years old already, but I have encountered no airfield, freeware OR payware that has bettered this addon scenery for quality. Several have matched, none bettered!
    Concerning the automated traffic in this great scenery, the vehicles are half submerged in the road. Is there an elevation I can adjust by a degree or is it accomplished in the source .mdl?

Charter Member 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    Concerning the automated traffic in this great scenery, the vehicles are half submerged in the road. Is there an elevation I can adjust by a degree or is it accomplished in the source .mdl?
    You did apply the flattens mentioned in the readme, correct? If so, I don't know what is going on for you - if not, well, then I guess you have some work to do!
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Strangely against my own norms, I should have ****. Thanks.:ernae:

SOH-CM-2014
    I just did another excursion in that area. I am loving this... Even a little neighborhood at the end of the airport that looks like something from that area of Michigan. Unreal, lol.....

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EMatheson View Post
    You did apply the flattens mentioned in the readme, correct? If so, I don't know what is going on for you - if not, well, then I guess you have some work to do!
    I couldnt figure this out. My FS9 is on an exterior drive, and the scenery.cfg file didnt show my new KPLN files. But I found in the FS9 folder another scenery cfg file and found the KPLN sections and was able to install the flattening section and the +1 layer. Looks brilliant now. I figured it was something I had added to FS causing the cars to submerge a bit.

Bill

Brilliant scenery. Yes, I had to add the flattens as provided in the readme, after I found the road traffic half submerged into the road. All is good now. It really is a neat scenery with the road traffic moving along and has lots of detail. Perhaps I might be able to use the road traffic in other scenery with EZ scenery maker?
    Mark

Thanks for the HU...I had the installed in my old system but I had FPS issues ..must try it in my newer setup..

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Naki View Post
    Thanks for the HU...I had the installed in my old system but I had FPS issues ..must try it in my newer setup..
    Mine gets a frame rate hit. Especially over that town North of there on the shore by Mackinaw Island where the wind generators are. They take up alot of computer memory...

Bill

Great find. :ernae: Got to like the moving vehicle traffic.
    Additionally I found a great freeware scenery list here - http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Members who have read this thread: 4