anti-virus/firewall

Thread: anti-virus/firewall

anti-virus/firewall

recently my isp cancelled the norton anti virus and firewall service i had through them and forced me to get their own software or have nothing.
    i am using their software for right now, but i want to rid myself of it asap.
    can someone reccomend a good anti-virus and firewall package?
    it's not a matter of cost, i just want good software.

Trend Micro Internet Security works well I have used it on a couple of computers in the last few years.

Norton Internet Security works well but I abandonded them because I got tired of paying them every year. They still have a good product.

Now lately I have been using Avast Free addition on Windows 7 and XP coupled with the built in Windows Firewall which for me works fine. I am going to do the same thing with my wife's Vista laptop also.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I use Avast and have been very satisfied with it. I used to use a freeware firewall but when it went payware, I started using the Windows firewall.

So far, so good. No problems at all. I'm also careful about what I click on and have no kids using my computer to download everything under the sun.

Jim

Blog Entries
    I have a premium copy of AVG on my main and business computers.

I use the free version on my wife's and FSX computers. Never had any problems *knock on wood*
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Free Avast anti-virus on three computers for the past year with no problems.

What M$ could have done
    AVG -- free
    Zone Alarm -- free
    Asquared -- free

Retired SOH Administrator
    AVAST for my laptop and my Dell desktop and the other half of apple... Dont have any problems for three years now.... Thank God!

Eli

Chacha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use Avast! and AVG, and other than that I'm careful about where I visit/download from. AVG tends to give me more false positives on trojans and the like, but i prefer that to a false negative...:mixedsmi:

Hi,
    I like PC Tools internet security package. It may seem a bit dear but you get a licence to put it on 3 machines. Also if you are short of money they release most of it free. The anti virus, the firewall and the threatfire programs free.The free stuff does not have the Spyware Dr program that you get in the full package. http://www.pctools.com/
    For spyware I would recommend the program Superantispware. http://www.superantispyware.com/
    I would also recommend IObits Security 360 program to run along side these.It is in Beta 2.2 at the moment,but I have had no problems.
    Also IObit's Advanced System Care free edition and Smart Defrag. Both are free. http://www.iobit.com/

If you want the full PCTools Internet Security program free and live in the UK buy a copy of PC Advisor. It is regularly given away by this magazine.

Buddha13
    Who is the bigger fool,The fool or the man who listens to the fool.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Cheezy, check this thread out. Might be what you're looking for and it's free.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ad.php?t=20302
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

I've used Trend Micro's Internet Security package for 5 years and never had a worry. License for 3 machines with network control, all the programmable scans you want and the least intrusive updates I've seen. Not the highest ranked but usually in the top 3 and a reasonable price

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

I stick with Norton mostly out of brand loyalty. Been using it since the DOS days and it's always done a great job. Some years they have good versions in the system overhead department and then some years they aren't so good. The last couple of versions and now this new NIS 2010 version that I'm using have definitly been on the upside of things.

When ever I'm wondering about security software and how they are stacking up these days, I always head over to "AV Comparatives".
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

The one thing I noticed is that Microsoft's One Care seems like it might be turning into the real deal. Earlier in the year it was ranked in the 1 Star group with Norton up top in the 3 Star group.

During this last test round the Microsoft product jumped up to the 3 Star ranking while Norton slipped to a 2 Star.

FAC

Best antivirus is ESET Nod32. Even Microsoft uses it in their release labs.

I use currently Comodo firewall and it seems to be doing it's job.

My vote is for AVAST. It's very good, AND free!

NC

harleyman
    I am a Reseller for PC Tools Spyware Doctor and Anti Virus......

I can get you a year at $29.95.... That key will do three home computers..

I love it and have it on 6 rigs here at the house...

It never phases FSX at all or anything else I'm doing on the computers..both Quad and Dual core machines...

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyflier View Post
    recently my isp cancelled the norton anti virus and firewall service i had through them and forced me to get their own software or have nothing.
    i am using their software for right now, but i want to rid myself of it asap.
    can someone reccomend a good anti-virus and firewall package?
    it's not a matter of cost, i just want good software.

Absoutley AVAST!!!
    Does not interfere with anything FSX
    And Free
    And works

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Charter Member 2015
    Kaspersky Internet Security suite....I've been running it for 3/4 years and no problems whatsoever on any of my systems (XP Pro SP3 + Vista Ultimate 64bit). I've tried every other AV on the market and found KIS to be the best for me.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry