Aviation Books - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Aviation Books

My take on the Putnams is this: I treasure the information and not worry about their worth. It is a bit depressing to stumble across copies that have been scanned in though. I had a lot of fun tracking down my set over the last few years.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Another visit to my favourite store with my birthday money and a discount coupon (Even my family knows where I like to do my shopping!) and came home with three books:

Two more volumes of the 'Dutch profiles' series, both dealing with the history of the P-40 in Dutch service. A lesser known aircraft here, but mainly because it only served in the Dutch East-Indies. Testing the FsX Flight Replicas P-40N got me interested in this aircraft. Great photos, almost all new to me and story in both English and Dutch.

Attachment 93189Attachment 93190

This one's called 'Fighter pilots during the cold war: Flirting with death?' and is a collection of 160 stories of our pilots that served with the RNLAF since WW2. Been reading the first few chapters and there are some great stories in there.

Attachment 93188

I also found this book, but it will have to wait until next month as it was becoming a bit expensive:

Attachment 93187
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Made another trip to my favourite store yesterday, and came back with some more books including the one on top of my list:

The development of this extremely advanced airplane with many novel features was started in 1937, for which Ettore Bugatti had hired the Belgian Louis de Monge as chief engineer. The first version of the airplane was planned as a speed-record airplane, a military version was to follow later. Tragically the Bugatti 100P airplane never flew, the Germans invaded Paris where it was being built before it was 100% ready. The airplane surprisingly survived the war, and still exists in the EAA museum in Oshkosh, USA. Both engines exist, and were built into Bugatti race-cars. Currently a flying replica is being constructed in the USA, built in such a way, that it will be aerodynamically the same as the original.

This book for the first time describes the complete history of this wonderfully beautiful streamlined airplane, as well as all of it’s novel systems. Also, the histories of both the plane’s creators are followed, from the early years of aviation.

Ettore Bugatti is of course well-known through his race- and sportscars from the years in between both worldwars, but he was also interested in many other technical devices. During the first world war airplane-engines were designed and built, the book describes these engines and derivatives in detail, showing also all the airplanes which used these engines, including the world’s first fully functional “modern” helicopter.

Louis de Monge built his first airplanes before WWI, during WWI he designed and produced modern propellers, sold under the name Lumière. After WWI many, often technically advanced, designs were made. The complete history of his many interesting inventions and lack of commercial success is published here for the first time.
    Great book at first glance, which starts with a detailed desciption of the construction, history and restoration of the 100P. There's a short chapter on Ettore Bugatti and his car designs, and a longer story on the use of his engines in aircraft. Intersting how his famous stright-eight was developed into a 'U-16', a 'Double U-16' and even a 1000 hp 'H-32'!

Next is the story of Louis de Monge, his designs, patents and aircraft (Including those made for other firms like Dyle et Bacalan) and the last chapter shows the build of a replica that should fly in the near future.
    The book is filled with interesting drawings and photos, and highly recommended for anyone with an interest in these two men and their work! It is written in English, even though the author is a Dutch Bugatti expert.

The second book I bought is this Haynes Spitfire manual; not that I'll ever own one, but nevertheless it looks like a good read, being a lot more than just a 'workshop manual'.

And of course the annual 'Luchtvaart' (Aviation) edition had to join the collection, giving a nice review of events in aviation during the last year.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Great stuff, Ferry - I've been thinking about that Bugatti book for a while, but it's going to have to wait until I start selling some of my surplus books to (a) raise some cash and (b) make some room on the shelves !

I'm in need for more shelve space too Mike, guess my next purchase will be a second bookcase!

Well there's another New Year resolution gone ! Anyone who knows my predilection for flying boats will surely excuse this purchase. Nothing spectacularly new, but some great photographs, 3-views, and in-depth stuff about those fascinating French floaters..

New, for fling-wing lovers

the definitive book on the history of the model, “The Bell 47 Helicopter Story.” It’s available for sale at www.helicopterheritagecana<wbr>da.com

guess I should let you in on the Vertical Mag contest too...
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Jane's

A 1935 original Jane's just went on EBay UK - sold for £212 ($350) I put in a bid, but was some way off. Just as well - I would have been murdered by the Boss......

Or maybe she would have helped you with your shelf space & cash problem by putting the rest of your collection on ebay, Mike..

Slightly off-topic (Even though I see big engines, wings and long strips of tarmac..) but I did buy my most expensive book yet:

http://www.zandvoortgrandprix.com/en/

Not cheap, but it also comes with a 77-minute long documentary on DVD.

Difficult to believe it is nearly 30 years since there was a Dutch G.P., Ferry.

Ah, the shark-nose Ferrari - and proper racing not decided by tyres and electronics.........but that's for another forum, eh ? Looks like a nice purchase !

I can't even remember the Dutch GP, Mike... And until last August, I had never been to Zandvoort! But the Historic GP won me over, I will definitely be going back there this year!

Watched the DVD last night, and read the chapters until the 1960's just now. The writer also publishes a magazine (RTL GP Magazine) that is focussed completely on historic racing.

Bought this book because it looked interesting. It was. The author, Greg Fletcher, is the son of the central figure of the book, Will Fletcher, who was a TBM Avenger pilot in WW-II, flying from the USS Intrepid (CV-11). In the battle of Leyte Gulf, in October 1944, Will Fletcher participated in one of many attacks against the Japaneses Center Force, consisting of the bulk of the IJN battleship fleet. Young Fletcher was shot down making a torpedo run on Musashi, and his story of survival from that moment is exciting and inspiring. Still, what I found most fascinating was his account of his training as a naval aviator, and of flight operations around US carriers in 1944. I spoke briefly with the author via e-mail after reading the book, and he was very tolerant and polite of my unsolicited praise of his work.

Last edited by PRB; February 9th, 2014 at 14:20.

Been on a sabbatical from the aviation page for the last few months trying to catch up on some other interests. Namely the Spanish Conquistador explorations into 16th & 17th century North America and early Native American culture.

Anyways, today I picked up Frozen In Time by M. Zuckoff. Looks to be a good read. Sort of a Glacier Girl type story.

http://www.mitchellzuckoff.com/latestbook/

Interesting book. Billy Bush was an SB2C Helldiver pilot in WW-II. He was among that second generation of pilots and aircrew, who joined after Pearl
    Harbor. While all the epic carrier battles on 1942 were being fought by men who were already in the navy on Dec 7 1941, Bush, and the rest of the
    young pilots who would serve in 1943-44, was in training. He would fly with VB-2, attached to the USS Hornet (CV-12). He was among the many crews
    who would ditch their planes in the sea, at night, upon returning from the long range attack on the Japanese fleet in the Battle of the Philippine
    Sea, in June 1944.

Bush's squadron conducted dive bombing training in the states using the Douglas Dauntless SBD. When deployed to the Pacific with VB-2, they flew the
    Curtiss Helldiver. In light of the on-going debate (of sorts) with our SOH member "Helldiver", who was a rear seat man in SB2Cs towards the end of
    the war, Bush's opinion of the SB2C was interesting to me. He, and his squadron mates, did refer to the plane as "The Beast". After flying the SB2C,
    he compared it to his training experience with the SBD and concluded that the SBD could be "flown" all the way down through the dive, and easily
    aimed and re-aimed at any point in the dive. The SB2C, by contrast, was very difficult. You had to get the plane trimmed perfectly before you
    started the dive, or the whole thing would be a bust. And while the SBD was stable in the dive, the SB2C would accelerate like mad, even with the
    dive flaps deployed, contributing to the overall difficulty in aiming the plane. Still the big beaste did get him home, and he acknowledged that,
    even after ditching in the dark sea in June 1944. A good read...

Just finished this most interesting book. It's about two brothers, 17 and 15 years old, who in 1966 flew their Piper Cub, which they restored themselves in a barn, across the country from New Jersey to Los Angeles and back again. I started it a few months ago and set it aside as a boring story about the authors trials and troubles with his father, and old barn storming pilot, and his brother. I picked it back up after going through my stack of reading stuff. In fact it's a great read. In the author's own words, the book is "about life, not about flying". There is a lot of flying in it however, and it's a great story about all the interesting people they met along the way. The author was the 15 year old. His brother did the trip as a way to get some cross country hours towards a commercial license. Both of them could fly and they each still do. On this trip the author rode in the back seat most of the way doing the navigation.

I like books that cover a particular aircraft and variants. Added "Junkers Ju 90" by Karl-Heinz Regnat. It's my first Black Cross series purchase and is a good one. Plenty of never seen before photos of the giant airliner.

http://misc.kitreview.com/bookreview...reviewse_1.htm

Just finished this book by James Greiner. It's a biography of a man named Don Sheldon, who started a company called Talkeetna Air Service, in Alaska. He did a lot of flying around the Mountains of Alaska, dropping off climbers, and sometimes rescuing them. A very interesting read.

Talkeetna Air Service

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Just finished this one. What a great read. North Star Over My Shoulder, by Robert Buck. This guy flew for TWA, from DC-2s to 747s, so you can imagine he has a lot of stories to tell. During WW-II, in addition to flying for the Air Transport Command, he was given a B-17, picked his own crew, and spent the next year investigating weather. In particular, they were looking to solve the "p-static" problem, which was (is) static charge build-up on antennas when flying through snow and rain. During such conditions, you couldn't hear the radio range signal, or low frequency comms. After the war, Howard Hughes, owner of TWA, called on him for "special missions", such as when, in 1947, he was pilot for actor Tyrone Power and friends, as they flew on a tour of Africa and Europe, covering Puerto Rico, Liberia, S.W. Africa, Italy, British Guyana, Gold Coast, South Africa, Ethiopia, Brazil, Belgian Congo, Portugal, Sudan, Ireland, Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada, Kenya, Greenland, England, Iceland, France, and Greece. Hmm, Flight-19 material, mayhap? Movie Stars and DC-3s...? Good stuff!

Oh, here's a good one. While doing the B-17 weather research, they flew the B-17 from Adak to Midway. They didn't have an official navigator, but they did have an extra pilot, so Buck decided his self taught skills with the sextant and other matters would suffice to get them there. They also had an experimental "high altitude radar altimeter" which he used to tell if he was moving toward a low pressure or a high pressure system. Like this: Since they're flying over ocean, the radal altimeter Will indicate "true ASL". He compares that with what the pressure altimeter indicates. 30 minutes later, he does it again. The difference between the error tells him if he's flying towards a low or a high pressure region, and that tells him what the prevailing winds should be, since low pressure systems rotate in a CCW direction. This was used an a "confidence checker" to backup drift calculations made by other means, including sextant readings. That's pretty cool.

Vietnam Book

the book "ChickenHawk",by a man named Robert Mason.true story of his time in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot,and what happened to him after "his war"...very good,holds your attention.

Found a hardcover copy of Bower's Wings of Stearman for $12.00 at the local used book store. Could not believe my luck as most copies start at $45.00 and up.

Usually they pick the collector books out and put them in the higher priced section.

This is interesting. At the same place I got the Stearman book, I found a copy of Images of America: Sikorsky. It's a handy guide to all the aircraft that Igor designed both fixed wing and rotor.

The neat part is that Sergei Sikorsky had autographed the first page. Sergei is Igor's oldest son. Kind of a bonus bit there.

Good finds, Moses! I found this today at the local used book store:

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

You lucky fellows - our local bookshops are devoid of aviation interest !

Larkins' book is indispensable, Paul - nice one !

Missed the opportunity today to buy a 1904 first edition of a book written by Albert Santos-Dumont......... Also a 1969 reprint of the Jane's all the world's aircraft 1913.... Should have brought more cash.. Oh well..