new paint strip project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new paint strip project

new paint strip project

I thought I'd try my hand at paintstripping for once:

still some way to go, but getting there..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Looking forward to some bare metal versions, thanks Jankees!:ernae:

BananaBob
    Cool, looks sweet already. :ernae:

a bit more progress:

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Winjeel View Post
    Looking forward to some bare metal versions, thanks Jankees!:ernae:

mmm, the problem is that I have found veryvery few pics of bare metal P-40B's (5 pics in total, and only two good enough for a repaint..) so there's not going to be a lot of them...
    Anybody else have any pics?

Looks good Jankees!

This is the only pic I could find in my references. You may already have this one though. They are rare for sure.

You might try (of course it is an E, but the idea is there)

http://www.p40warhawk.com/P-40sToday...-40E/P-40E.htm

As there are six colour photos there, add your five - you should now have 11
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Well, I have plans for 3 bare metal paintjobs, as for the "E", maybe...

meanwhile, I'm still working on my bare metal, what do you guys think of this?
    Be critical, please! Not too shiny? Do we want panels with slightly different color/reflectivity? Things like that...

I suppose I'd like it slightly more reflective, Jan but there I again I do like shiny
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Hi Jan, my personal taste would be for more shine and reflectivity (I like the polished aluminium look), and the Curtiss pre production examples are very shiny. They called it a 'natural metal finish', but aluminium alloys aren't "naturally" that shiny Of course the few MPH speed increase with the "natural" finish didn't hurt their cause of selling a few airplanes...

I have found veryvery few pics of bare metal P-40B's
    LOL, I know what you mean, I've been searching for pictures of US P-40Ds that might have actually served with an operational unit; with only 23 made, I don't like my chances!
    Anyway, I've been trying to capture a 'natural' look on my version, I like this level of reflectivity (on the fuse, not the wings).

Winjeel

I like em like this...

I know, it's a Mustang...

Very nice going Jankees! It looks as if you've taken your cue from the flecked metalling layers on the A2A Mustang. Personally I prefer a much larger more open patterning layer for metal.

From the pictures from CBris the exhaust cover panels are slightly darker like on the Mustang and it might be worth adding a heat burnish layer. Also, were the control surfaces fabric-covered? If so they would be pale but dull (silver paint). Like others I think a tad more shine as well.

I'm almost tempted to get the P-40 seeing these!!

Best wishes

DaveQ (fellow painter of Ponies!)
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful, Jan! I looked through all of my material on the P-40, but could not find even a single photo of a bare metal finish.. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post

I'm almost tempted to get the P-40 seeing these!!
    you don't have it yet??? But it's great!

OK, I've removed the mottled effect and added a bit more shine, how's this?

I tried shinier, but it looked too plastic I thought. Is this shiny enough?
    I'm not sure if the control surfaces were fabric covered, I still have to look at that. Does anybody here know?
    It sure looks like it in this pic:

I've also found a pic of a P-40B in bare metal, slightly the worse for wear, so you can expect a weathered version as well.

BananaBob
    Wow! I'm glad I got this one now!! Much better looking!

Yep, looking good!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

BananaBob
    Hey Jan, have you used my globalenvironment texture? Download this if you haven't and take the texture, GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome and place that in the folder of your paint and it will overwrite the default, just take it out if you don't like it. http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/banana/files/GlobalEnv_Texturesv1.zip

Curious to see if it does anything as the default has too much cyan I think in it.

no, but I'll give it a go!

Great, Jankees - much better IMHO!!

"I'm not sure if the control surfaces were fabric covered, I still have to look at that. Does anybody here know?
    It sure looks like it in this pic:"

Jankees, if it's of any help I managed to get these shots of a razorback P-47D under restoration at Duxford the other weekend. They give a good idea of bare metal; also notice that the control surfaces are silver-doped fabric so it's very likely that the earlier P-40 had them too.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Jan Kees, that looks absolutely gorgeous. All the control surfaces were fabric covered; I don't think metal ailerons arrived until the very end of P-40N production, and even then the rest stayed fabric.

All three control surfaces were fabric. Ailerons, elevators and rudder.
    Being lighter the controls were less subjected to flutter.

Erik Shilling
    --
    Erik Shilling Author; Destiny: A Flying Tiger's
    Flight Leader Rendezvous With Fate.
    3rd Squadron AVG
    Flying Tigers

</pre>

here's two shots with Bob's globalenv textures:

I'm not sure, it feels like it's become darker now...but I'm doing all of this on a laptop, so it may look different on my normal rig. And please remember that I'm colorblind...

and two shots of the next one in the paintshop:

now for those control surfaces...and why do the wheels insist on remaining shiny?

BananaBob
    Yeah, it did look darker, might try darkening the alpha with that texture so it picks up more of global texture, just an idea, looks awesome though and definitely will be flying this one! :ernae:

I agree that the control surfaces are fabric covered. Your model is looking great, one of my favorite aircraft.
    Paul, not Phil... :mixedsmi:

My blog

Jug 47
    Man, those are some AWSOMW paints there my man ! ! !

BTW, where can this P-40 be gotten at ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jug 47 View Post
    Man, those are some AWSOMW paints there my man
    why, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jug 47 View Post
    BTW, where can this P-40 be gotten at ?
    you can find it here:
    http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/wop2_p40/

stupid of me, this aircraft didn't have a anti-glare shield:

Close up:

I hope that this is shiny enough?
    On to the next paints...