Is Windows 7 any good for Gaming? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Windows 7 any good for Gaming?

Retired SOH Administrator
    W7 to me plays better than Vista64/32. For one W7 doesn't use nowhere near the resources that Vista does and the video drivers so far have been better to me...but that's me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JT8D-9A View Post
    Regarding "WinXP mode".. you can download Virtualbox for free and you will have your WinXP mode (WinXP mode= virtual machine + WinXP license).
    I'm already using a virtual machine under Linux but it's not very fast, so it's not really fun...
    Have been using Virtualbox already back in my XP x64, Vista x64 and Server '08 x64 testing phase.
    It's okay to use, but well...it's nothing but a second PC running on your PC, whioch has to be started and shut down seperately. I hope the "XP mode" is quicker to respond and well integrated into the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by robrealair View Post
    Of course you can download software which obliterates some of it when running FSX, but this barely scratches the surface.
    Why using software if you can just take a wrench and fix it yourself?
    Been doing that to XP ever since and would do it to 7 as well.

You're basically right though. Windows has lots of unnecessary features, but then again it's "Average Joe/Jane"'s OS which has to run well straight out of the box, no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by some1 View Post
    Actually, the benchmarks that can be found over the net like: http://www.pcformat.co.uk/article/xp...-vs-7-02-07-09 (just google for "vista versus 7" to find more) say that there's not much really difference between vista and 7, sometimes one system wins, sometimes other. Given the fact that they are both very simillar systems that use the same driver model (7 can even use the same graphics drivers than vista), I wouldn't expect 7 to be the ultimate cure for FSX problems with performance Some time ago I made a FSX test run using the standard benchmark from avism (FSXmark07) and the performance was almost identical that on Vista, with difference less than 2%.
    I´ve read something similar than this.
    I run Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2 and never had any trouble with this OS.
    Why spend money for a new OS that`s not faster,or only marginally?
    Making a fresh installation of Vista,i also mean it`s faster now and i think,the same is with W7.So i`ve not tried it.
    Maybe it`s only the hype about something new.
    Michael

I like the fact that the desktop icon in Win7 is of a Vista desktop and not Win7.... Wonder if that one gets fixed!

CFS1 - crashes on opening screen
    CFS2 - no mods, the 2D panels flash on and off
    CFS3 - don't know cant be bothered with it
    Lock On Flaming Cliffs - Win7 does not like starforce, wont run
    FSX - fine slightly faster, micro stutters seem reduced
    FS9 - ditto
    IL2 1946 - yet to try it.

Members who have read this thread: 0