Semi OT - RAM Problems

Thread: Semi OT - RAM Problems

Semi OT - RAM Problems

I have been quietly smug that PC problems always seem to happen to other people, but I got my come-uppance when Vista recently ‘shut down to prevent damage to my computer’ and refused to boot. System diagnostics showed faulty RAM, a little trial and error (and some major dust removal) identified the faulty stick, but Vista still wouldn’t start. System Restore failed to work the one time I’ve ever needed it, and after a week of fiddling I decided that as I had backups of everything important I would risk a full system recovery.

I decided to replace the 4x1Gb sticks with 2x2Gb of faster RAM from Crucial, chosen with their site's memory tool to match my system. Two days later it's installed, checked out with system diagnostics, great. Reinstalling everything and restoring all the backups took two long evenings, followed by Vista's orgy of downloading all the updates it needed. Finally, nearly two weeks after it went down, I was ready to reinstall FSX with the help of Nick N and friends.

Another long evening, but finally it’s time for a test flight. Halfway round the circuit FSX crashes with a fatal error - crap! Windows offers to find a solution, I wait and wait but it’s an empty promise. Reboot, try again, different aeroplane, different flight, same error. I try another game, Half Life 2....stutter, freeze, BSOD. Well, that proves it's not just FSX.

I check that Crucial sent me the correct RAM, I check it’s properly seated, I run the diagnostics again – all green. I check that the GeForce is seated properly and the fan is running, and I check its core temperature, a homely 61 degrees. I update the video driver to the latest WQHL version and run the windows system file checker, 100% OK. There’s nothing obviously wrong, but FSX and Half Life 2 still fall over.

On a whim, I whip out the new RAM and put the three remaining 1Gb DIMMs back in......and it's been perfect ever since. Did the faster DIMMs generate more heat than my stock cooler could handle? Crucial say not, and suggest that I should experiment with virtual memory settings and (the last resort of the baffled) update my MoBo BIOS. Um.... no thanks. Anyway, a new 1GB stick the same speed & spec as the other three has produced the required happy ending. Learning points for me? All very obvious..

1. Don't be smug, it will nearly always come back to bite you on the arse.

2. Occasionally, blow the dust out of your PC's case - and remember to do this outdoors.

3. Remember to create those bootable system recovery discs, you never know when you might need them.

4. Only swap like-for-like unless you're really sure you know what you're doing.

5. Direct quote from Nick N, pretty much proved I think, "FSX runs fine... the problem is you or your system.." In my case, me AND my system.

harleyman
    A bios update would have probably allowed you to run that faster speed set of 2X2 ram...if you have never updated the bios thats a major reason that faster ram will not function at times...

But glad to see its sorted now....

Always one to cringe at the thought of flashing the bios I decided to use a new tool from Asus. The bios is flashed from a memory stick in a USB port. you boot to bios and in the drop down menu select flash bios...and it just does it!
    No more fears for me, updating bios!
    One thing to watch I'd guess is that USB power is always on (often a mobo jumper setting) otherwise it may not work.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

harleyman
    PLUS...

When flashing the bios...

AIWAYS kill your AntiVirus / spyware......(uninstall it if you have to to be sure)

NEVER touch the mouse or keyboard when its running...NEVER....

Well, thanks both for that. You make it sound a bit less scary than I thought, so maybe I shall do a bit more research and think again.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    Well, thanks both for that. You make it sound a bit less scary than I thought, so maybe I shall do a bit more research and think again.

Tell me your make and model number of your mobo and I will provide a link for the windows based flashing tool for you..From there its all but automatic

Charter Member 2015
    As far as overclocking is concerned, having the latest bios file is a necessity imho. Flashing the Bios is not a black art...it's extremely easy on modern syatems. Only thing to watch out for when flashing is that the system is connected to a reliable power supply (especially so with notebooks...never flash the bios on battery power). Many new bios files come as downloadable .iso files which can be burnt to cd using the appropriate software. Just reboot the system with the disk in the drive and ,if necessary, make sure the cd is set to boot from the Optical Drive. It's then just a matter of following the on screen prompts.

PS. It's also possible to flash the bios of your graphics card....or even to edit the bios, for example to have the fan running a little faster etc. This is a little more complicated, however, and not really necessary nor recommended for 99% of end users.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Flashing the BIOS can also be done via floppy disk (the reason I still have a drive) or flash drive.

With my mainboard, I put the BIOS file (*.rom) on my USB stick, restart the system and select the BIOS flashing utility from the BIOS menu or POST screen. Then it's just a matter of choosing the BIOS file on the drive, saying "yes" and waiting.

And after that, it's mostly restoring all my custom BIOS settings. *Grr*

Members who have read this thread: 0