Catalina RAAF Black Cat repaint

Thread: Catalina RAAF Black Cat repaint

Catalina RAAF Black Cat repaint

Is there a RAAF black cat repaint available, and if so where? I've been through the first 20 pages of FSX repaints here, but didn't see one. I thought a skin was being done, but I haven't been able to get into the Aerosoft forum today to check.

thanks in advance
    MC

Isn't there one that comes with the package? VH-PBZ, A24-362 . It's in the screenshots from aerosoft.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I did a Black Cat paint for Mike Stones Cat some time ago. You will find it in the FS9 library under my name.

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

I believe there's even two in the package, here's one:

I can always make a few more if you want, I just bought a book on Ozzie Cats..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I am such a goose :redf:, but not a Grumman Goose. The RAAF Aerosoft Catalina was in my FSX all the time. Thanks (and apologies) Jankees.

RAAF Catalina - A24-60 - Crash Cairns Harbour WW2 - 1943

Hello

I am new to FSX and need some assistance please.

First things first- I know how to use Photoshop CS6 fairly well and want to repaint a Catalina PBY5 that my grandfather flew in WW2 in Cairns Australia in 1943.

His RAAF serial number was A24-60 which crashed in Cairns harbour during a night time takeoff. He lost his port side airscrew at 60-65 knots on the water, which caused a sharp turn port side and then hitting an unlit beacon which tore off the right wing.

A museum in Cairns Australia had a artistic painting/interpretation of the crash and it was discovered back in the 1990s from the artwork by my Aunt that my Grandfather was the pilot (which was unknown until then).

I have the RAAF crash report and photos of the crashed plane in the water after the accident that I have attached to this thread.

I am hoping to repaint a PBY5 in his RAAF livery based on the photos.

Is the 'Aerosoft Catalina PBY - The Black Cat' a good start??? http://www.aerosoft.com/en/fsxp3d/fl...the-flying-cat

Or should I use another download of a Catalina instead on X Plane 11?

Also, I am hoping to recreate the accident on FSX or X PLane 11, based on the RAAF crash report along with my Aunts recollection of the incident from my Grandfathers stories.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A24-60 Acc P1 1.jpg   3954230.JPG   A24-60 Black and White Port Side Photo Restored.jpg   A24-60 Moored in Cairns Harbour After Crash Original of Jason Lunnon Grandson of Arthur George L.jpg  

I know the incident, & know the memorial across the road from the RSL in Cairns

ADF Serials doesnt have much info or images regarding the airframe

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a24.htm

I would dare say Aerosoft PBY would be the best choice as it has the frame type the RAAF used

I'll check my late Father's logbooks (might be a couple of days) as he was stationed at Cairns at the same time.
    A24-60 was a PBY-5, so I'd be using the Aerosoft 'PBY-5 Mil Vingtor' model for starters, and based on what I have learned over time she appears to be wearing the Norman Lindsay designed all Black with Sea Grey disruptive pattern scheme.
    While this was usually soft edged, A64-20 appears to have been painted using masks resulting in the hard edged finish, including the upper surface of the mainplane.
    I have a decent collection of RAAF Cat photos which I'll have a look for, again, time needed.
    She also seems to have retained the original flat top nose turret, something of an anachronism but not that unusual.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    A search of the Arosoft site should turn up a paint kit for the Catalina.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Members who have read this thread: 0