Video Tutorials by Finn Neuik

Thread: Video Tutorials by Finn Neuik

Video Tutorials by Finn Neuik

Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 17th, 2013 at 06:30.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    Oh wow! Thought these were lost! Thank you sir!!
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

I'm sure they are wonderful. Unfortunately, none of my available players will display the video, so all I get is the audio track...
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Acelp codec for Windows Media Player 9

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Acelp_net_Codec.htm
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

GSpot is an excellent application to use to identify required Codecs.

You just point it at the file and it tells you what is required, whether or not is is already installed, and where to get it if you don't.

Google it or Go Here
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

For the one multismooth.wmv tutorial I had to install a new codec. Here are my comments on this one:

1. Finn was using GMax v1.1 so the Material Editor is totally different from the one used in GMax v1.2. It may be a bit confusing to the viewer since it is totally different from what they will be using...

2. Finn's use of the Gizmo to move the UVW Map around is IMHO not the best method. Better would be to add a UVW Unwrap modifier and the UVW Editor directly. It is much more precise.

The other two (.avi) require the tssc (TechSmithCodec). Both are quite well done and illustrate edge turning nicely.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post

2. Finn's use of the Gizmo to move the UVW Map around is IMHO not the best method. Better would be to add a UVW Unwrap modifier and the UVW Editor directly. It is much more precise.
    The reason he did it that way was to have an easy method to get a basic lineup of multiple parts in one go, something you can't do as easily with an unwrap modifier unless you merge parts. Back in the old days (2002) it was good enough since detail wasn't as good as with today's meshes.

BTW, that He115 is by yours truly. I was quite happy that Finn did the unwrapping for me.
    Mathias

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Milton, just letting you know that none of the links in your original post work.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Ah, thanks. Those tutes are now in the SOH Library. Will find the links and correct.

EDIT: Links are now corrected
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; November 17th, 2013 at 06:31.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Thanks mate.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Another nice program that can play these videos without messing with codecs is MPC-HC: https://mpc-hc.org/
    Barry

I am unsticking this thread due to the use of older technology for the videos, old techniques, and dated content.

The videos are still available in the library.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here