Possible new build

Thread: Possible new build

Possible new build

I'm comfortable with AMD and Nvidia and was looking at hardware, mostly at Newegg, to see what's available. Up to now I've been going dual core but have been thinking about quad core, except I don't any new SLI quad core AM3 mobos to speak of. I usually go for ASUS. So I was looking at tri core which can support SLI and 3 PCI-E GPUs and wonder if three of them would function in SLI. The accessories in the retail box show a SLI bridge but only with two connectors. So what's deal here on SLI and 3 gpu slots?

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    So I was looking at tri core which can support SLI and 3 PCI-E GPUs and wonder if three of them would function in SLI.
    A word to the wiser: Tri core processors are quad cores with a bad processor. AMD decided to pass these off as "tri-cores" in an attempt to sell their bad cpu's. I can't say for sure if the bad cpu will effect anything, but why take any chances

Don't get me wrong, I love AMD but I personally would go with a dual core or a quad core.

Thanx for the info, tobob. Now the scarcity of mobos makes sense.

Any time Waco. :ernae:
    I really like newegg and tigerdirect, I visit those sites very often and daydream about building a super computer. There is so much stuff out there, a little researching never hurt anybody. Good luck on your new build. Let us know how it goes.

Tobob

Retired SOH Administrator
    I think you will really like the new Intel processors that have come out. They run really cool. They are suppose to release a new wave of processors soon that is suppose to be one step better than the 45's.Also the DDR3 memory has really come down in prices along with the video cards. It all depends on how fast ya wanna go as to how much money you can spend. Have ya talked to Ted on the subject...he seems to have help other members build nice stable system....then if it don't work right you can fuss at him...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro