I need to get more hard drive space...

Thread: I need to get more hard drive space...

Question I need to get more hard drive space...

My 160Gb hard drive is nearly full...I've been chewing on this for a while wondering what I could do to get more HD space. I save a lot of download FS files and other stuff. I really want to know if another 160Gb hard drive can be clipped onto my existing 160Gb HD and used for storage, etc, freeing up HD space for FS2004 and the many aircraft, AI and sceneries in it, (and FSX if space allows) rather than buy a new 500gb HD to replace the one HD. That would come in a new PC one day. Is that possible?
    If so does the new HD have to be the same brand and specs as the main one? And could it just be put in straight away and up and running, can it be assigned something like Drive 'D' for example while the existing one is Drive 'C'? Does it need Windows in it to run?
    Does anyone have suggestions that I could consider?
    Mark

Charter Member 2011
    Mark: Short answer is "Yes".
    Consider getting a 10,000rpm drive and putting your operating system and FS on that, using the other drive for data and other apps.
    The type of drive is determined by your motherboard HD controller, get one that's the same type as the existing.
    If you're not confident about the install yourself, it's worth a visit to your friendly local computer dealer to install as he will not charge you an arm + leg.
    Or, you could get an external drive for all those files, and they are quite cheap.
    I have a 320GB one which just plugs 'n plays into a USB port.

I ended up getting an external HD that had almost twice the memory for under $100. I then moved all kinds of things over to it and away I went. It was easy to set up, just plug it in, run any SW it came with and you are done. I now have a mobile back-up with all those FS files.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Good suggestions Charl and Aeromed. An external Hd could be used to store all these saved FS files and other stuff which could then be plugged onto my new PC one day.
    Good idea Charl, about that 10,000rpm HD, worth considering checking that one out. What about some of those FS apps on my C drive that depend on a C drive assignment to run?
    Mark

Hi Mark,

Very few applications "require" being installed to C:\ - this is just the default destination as most installers "assume" that your PC has a single drive (again, by default, C:\) and that you want all programs installed into C:\Program Files.

This isn't necessary for most packages, so if you want MS Office installed to your external USB F:\ drive just specify the desired destination (if possible) when the installation starts. The "link" to the location will be written to the Registry.

About the only packages I can think of that need to be put in the "default" location are the Ultimate Terrain packages that need to be put in the main FS2004 location as they selectively disable default files. And even here FS2004 can be installed wherever you want. The key is that the Registry "knows" where FS2004 is .....

Alastair

One observation I made on my own systems: windows loves to have lots and lots of free space available regardless of needs, so I generally recommend you aim large when it comes to capacity. With HD prices these days, you can probably afford it. Also, consider something like Norton Ghost to clone your drive when you upgrade, it really speeds things up not having to reconfigure/reinstall everything, esp. w/ FS. I personally use Acronis True Image as I don't like Norton products much.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    A secondary external drive is the best decision (in my humble opinion).

This way your OS runs on the primary internal drive, and the second drive acts similar to a RAID where it can dance and skip through files seperately on its own drive for FS. It enhances performance. I think (think) Phil even talked on this once. (I am old, I cant remember when or if he really did, but that comes to mind).

Sales on HD's are now so low on 1TB drives, that they are now only about $30 to $40 more then 260 / 320 Gig drives. My opinion is to have a 320 as a primary (actually for me, a 1TB, but for normal people, a 320 or 500 is good), and then have a 1TB (definately a 1TB) and install all FS installations, scenery, etc, in that external drive.

Then, when you get some extra funds, get another 1TB drive and back that first 1TB external up to that, so you have a switch out backup.

You can get cases that hold internal drives and use them as your external. Internal drives can be very inexpensive, but do not always look good. There are some awesome looking external drives at NewEgg.com.

My humble 2 cents.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I also have this small program that I could never get to work. It would create virtual drives which you could then fill with any start-up disc. This would eliminate the need to physically insert the FS disc 1 to play the game. It would be nice to get it to work. I also forgot to say, like some already did, you want at least a comfortable 25% free space on any drive to allow for defragging and good reading speeds.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

I agree with Bill on the use of external drives. You can have any number/size/brand that is available. I have a 320Gb internal (factory partitioned with the software backup on D:/, not useable for storage,) and, presently eight externals. Windows has no problems using them.

My HP Media center unit only has room for one internal HDD, plus one HP "portable" which comes with connections to use externally, or can be slid into a special "tray" to look like an internal, but still operates as an external. Operationally, tho, there is no difference that the human senses can see.

One of the 1TB drives is my next purchase.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    I also have this small program that I could never get to work. It would create virtual drives which you could then fill with any start-up disc. This would eliminate the need to physically insert the FS disc 1 to play the game. It would be nice to get it to work. I also forgot to say, like some already did, you want at least a comfortable 25% free space on any drive to allow for defragging and good reading speeds.

The FS EXE contains a lot of programming, other than simply "start game now", and it includes the requirement for the disk. There was a hack that worked before the update to FS9.1, but MS fixed it so those didn't work anymore in the update. They were technically illegal, also.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Okay. Confession time.

I have an older Dell system. My main HD is only 60 Gb. I have a secondary, external HD at 85 Gb.

FS9 runs quite well on my machine. I have gone through all the directories and cleaned up unneeded files. For example, all my manuals ore on a thumb drive for easy access.

My external drive has a folder for storing FS9 files for immediate access, such as aircraft folders of aircraft I like to fly. I just swap them in and out of the main FS9 folder.

All my downloads are burned onto CD's. I create two per burning, so there is always a backup disk.

Lately, if I haven't flown a specific aircraft for months, I may have its entire folder burned onto a CD as well.

Another thing I've done is to swap out addon scenery folders. Again, those I don't immediately need are on the external drive or burned to a CD.

Another space saver is converting individual aircraft texture files to DXT3 format. You would be amazed at how much disk space you can save.

When my Windows XP crashed over a year ago, I purchased one of those external laptop drives that uses the USB port. It can hold 120 Gb. I use that for a full backup of my primary FS9 install and the entire backup folder on my external drive. That has saved my butt a couple of times when I modified or deleted something, and wanted a full restore. It does take awhile to update the backup copies, however.

I guess the message I learned is "redundancy is your friend." You can never have too many backups.

I defrag almost daily, and run some other programs that cleans my HD of unneeded files.

This system has worked pretty well since I bought my computer five plus years ago.

--WH

A very good system, WH. I'm really getting to like those thumb drives. And price is going thru the floor for the big ones, too! I'm beginning to think they are better then CDs for saving backups, as I am constantly finding my CDs bad after a few years. I wish we could burn them on our home machines to last like the pro ones do. I;ve lost Gigs of backups from bad CDs. Some personal stuff not replaceable.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

SOH-CM-2024
    Agree with all the others on the external HD. That's what I use for all screenshots, photos, downloads, repaints, paint kits, music, videos anything that is not an application program I use. It will also help to speed up defragmentation on both drives.

Caz

Excellent suggestions and advice guys. Thanks all. Lots there for me to chew on and make a informed decision. Sounds like an external HD is the way to go, freeing up space for the main HDD.
    Mark

I am under the impression that an external usb hard drive will not run as fast a drive connected to the motherboard (even if both are rated at the same speed). You can also get a PCI card to connect a hard drive too. With "Junction Link Magic" (small free program), You can put just about anything any where. My "C" drive partition on my primary hard drive holds just the basic program files. Any addons such as Active Sky, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain, etc..., are located on another hard drive. However, FS9 thinks they are all on the primry "C" drive partition. As for type of secondary drive, just be sure it runs at the same speed as the primary drive. Seems to create a smoother running system (from my experience). Drive size, model, or manufacturer is less important. But then again, consider the source of this info, me. Life does not have to be that complicated.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

SOH-CM-2014
    Good point.

You do not neccessarily need to go 'external' if you have an open slot in your computer box. Usually computers have a secondary slot, link, powersupply for a secondary HD. When you install it (if you go that route) the OS will automatically assign it a new drive letter designation designation such as E drive, etc. (Windows Backup drive is usually D drive already).

Reasons, for my suggesting such a huge HD as a 1TB drive for a secondary, is that if you install, FSX, FS9, Golden Wings, Silver Wings, and other sims, like X-Plane9 (60 gigs at least), Rise of Flight, and other such sims, and then you purchase addons from groups like Mega Scenery and Aerosoft that have huge scenery product lines, then that 1TB will start to fill up fast.

And backing that up onto a secondary 'emergency' drive will require a drive of the same size, of course.

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

SOH-CM-2014
    Also, on using USB as the link, and that it is not very high performance. This is true, but to a degree.

I have several external HD's on my new iMac, and all USB. They didnt have FireWire or other higher performance external links for this computer, so I had to go with USB. At first, I thought it would be a horrible drop in performance, but it ended up being danged fast. (Fastest computer I have owned so far, and its not a full fledged gaming computer).

So, as a USB external drive 'member', I can say they arent slow either. Not the fastest, but not slow either.

Bill

I will definately agree on size. The bigger the better (based on budget). The "Its's not the size of the pen, but how you sign your name" DOES NOT apply to hard drive size. I also like partitions. Makes for a quicker search by the OS or program. Plus, having mutiple partitions go out out at the same time is fairly uncommon.
    Dandog

Just This Guy!

Very good points. I had read somewhere (not in this forum) about using USBs slowing down your PC. It seemed to say that the more USB ports you use, the more your PC works harder, but I'm not feeling sure if this would be really an issue.
    I've 6 USBs and one Firewire port, on my PC. Of the 6 USB ports, 2 are available, plus the Firewire port. There's a spare open slot also, so there's room to drop in another HD.
    The primary HD is 7200rpm, so whatever size secondary internal HD I might get would have to be 7200rpm as well, I guess.
    The external HD still sounds good to me though. Might end up getting both.
    Mark

By having a second addon scenery folder located on an external drive you can save a huge amount of space. For example I have FSGlobal 2008 installed on an external 2.5 250GB drive, which saves me a substantial 12GB on the laptop itself. If you have things like MegaScenery, they can also be placed on an external drive.

One thing to bare in mind is that smaller external 2.5 drives are actually powered by the PC itself which causes an additional, though minor, drain on the PC's resources. A 3.5 drive avoids this, by being main's powered. I however still prefer to go with USB powered drives as it saves the hassle of constantly having to switch an external drive on and off.

My recommendation to you would be to go out and buy a small 320GB/400GB 2.5 drive as they can be picked up for quite reasonable prices and take up hardly any desktop space., being not much larger in size than a pack of cards.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

Well, my solution for redundancy has always been 2 or even 3 internal HD (depending on finances) and as big as I can afford them. Also, if your mobo support it try to go for SATA disks, as they are pretty fast, but unlike dandog I do not like too much partitions, in my experience, when a HD goes, partitions don't help much.

Just my two pennies

Saludos