Critics be damned !, blatant WIP progress (F-100D)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critics be damned !, blatant WIP progress (F-100D)

Critics be damned !, blatant WIP progress (F-100D)

They exist, always have, always will, time to move on.

Some renders of current F-100D progress, hopefully finish off the gear detail and animations this week. Last image is a wire frame for the technophobes.

Enjoy

Michael

Looks great! (and sorely needed)

No criticism from me, except for Whats Taking You So Long.

SA-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! this is going to be fun!:ernae:
    "If three-holers are gas guzzlers, why are there four-holers now???"
    "But what do i know? I'm just the 800 pound guerrilla in the room."

Fire! Fire! Your pants better not be on fire....

harleyman
    Bi Ut Ti FUL.........................

Beautifully smooth modeling
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thanks, and only 48,000 polys thus far LOL. Sadly the term 'low poly' seems synonymous with 2nd rate these days, shame, its a skill set that could enhance a lot of game play if used astutely.

Best

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Beautifully smooth modeling

BananaBob
    I can hear the thunder now, sweet!

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It does not have a prop!
    grumble grumble
    LOL
    H

tigisfat
    OH YEAH?! I flew F-100s in the war of 1884 against the then township of Utah. I also crew chiefed them for 40 years before retiring as a adjudant ensign lieutenant's mate fifth class to the third power. I'm saying this doesn't look anything like an F-100. First off, you got the flapper doors all wrong. Also, your screenshots look horrible. Couldn't you have picked better scenery? Whoever did your repaints doesn't know what they're doing. Look, I don't mean to insult anybody, but this is the worst iteration of anything I've ever seen; take it from me because I know everything.

WOW!!!!!!
    I want one!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks Great
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    Thanks, and only 48,000 polys thus far LOL. Sadly the term 'low poly' seems synonymous with 2nd rate these days, shame, its a skill set that could enhance a lot of game play if used astutely.

Best

Michael
    The term "low poly" is constantly being re-defined as technology progresses. When I first started modeling, low poly was in the hundreds, and high poly was in the tens of thousands. The FSX engine is amazingly robust when it comes to polygon crunching, so now we have aircraft in the range of hundreds of thousands of polygons with very little hit on frame rate. But I think it truly takes skill to make a low poly aircraft LOOK like a high poly aircraft. Great work!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post
    OH YEAH?! I flew F-100s in the war of 1884 against the then township of Utah. I also crew chiefed them for 40 years before retiring as a adjudant ensign lieutenant's mate fifth class to the third power. I'm saying this doesn't look anything like an F-100. First off, you got the flapper doors all wrong. Also, your screenshots look horrible. Couldn't you have picked better scenery? Whoever did your repaints doesn't know what they're doing. Look, I don't mean to insult anybody, but this is the worst iteration of anything I've ever seen; take it from me because I know everything.

Well I guess you don't know EVERYTHING. If you did, you would know that is one of the Misty birds in camo, so the Gommers wouldn't recognize them. LOL

Michael, I can pretty much guarantee you one sale for the F-100.

I still remember T-38 X-country into St. Louis to tour the F-15 factory. I had landed and was taxing in when a ANG F-100 took off. I remember NOISE and the longest takeoff run I had ever seen. It was impressive, however.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

John, they say...those that say these things...that only one plane takes longer to take off than the F-100, thats the F-84F ...yes, yes, yes, dont all shout at once LOL, I do aim to get back up to speed on that one once the raw mesh of the F-100 is complete.

Was it the F-100 or F-105 that was called the 'Lead Sled' ?.

Best

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by tigisfat View Post

HAHAHA! You forgot to tell us that you were conceived on the horizontal stab of an F-100 while it was in burner on a runup test.

Looking GREAT Michael!

Fantastic model Michael!
    Barry

Ok, last one for tonight, I know many dont feel renders represent the model correctly, sleigh of hand or something so I threw it in FSx, mildly impressed with how smooth it looks there as well.

Gibbage, I agree, the 'low poly' limit is rising all the time, like you I was brought up on a poly limit of just 1200, I still get the shakes when I get near to 60,000 LOL, I think the extra fidelity in the VC is a very good use of extra polys, but a lot of an aircraft exterior can be accomplished with much lower poly counts especially with good textures and now good bump maps.

I spared no polys for the base fuselage and major components, resorting to a massive Nurbs mesh for the fuselage to get all the compound curves to flow, yet it still came out very low to my mind.

Best

Michael

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    John, they say...those that say these things...that only one plane takes longer to take off than the F-100, thats the F-84F ...yes, yes, yes, dont all shout at once LOL, I do aim to get back up to speed on that one once the raw mesh of the F-100 is complete.

Was it the F-100 or F-105 that was called the 'Lead Sled' ?.

Best

Michael
    I seem to recall it was the F-100, Michael.

I also recall that a fully loaded B-52 or KC-135 taking off on Guam took every inch of the runway and maybe a bit more. However, that was after I saw the F-100 takeoff.

I can only imagine the time between V1 & V2 speeds in that thing. You could say a decade of the rosary, in hopes you wouldn't lose the engine, between them.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Goodness Michael!

Outdoing yourself again.

Awesome work man! That is one beauty of a fuselage. The lines look right on. It had a very different scoop, none like it.

:ernae: :ernae:

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Charter Member 2011
    Does look very good, and thanks for showing it bare-*ssed, so to speak.

I have a question if I may, since polys have been discussed.
    As a user, I find the VC canopy frame to be one of the most important items, visually, especially in a fighter.
    It's in your face most of the time!

Would it be possible to redirect some polys to make it look more like the first picture below?
    Often, they end up looking like the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    It does not have a prop!
    grumble grumble
    LOL
    H

HEAR, HEAR!

Also, Henry, no struts!!! What holds it together?
    Felix/FFDS

48,000 Polys! I guess I gotta up my poly counts. My largest plane has only about 26,000 polys. VC's about 15,000 polys.
    I like the rib work on that Hun's rudder, and the cannon ports. Gun ports are always tricky on models.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    48,000 Polys! I guess I gotta up my poly counts. My largest plane has only about 26,000 polys. VC's about 15,000 polys.
    I like the rib work on that Hun's rudder, and the cannon ports. Gun ports are always tricky on models.
    My SU P-38 for FS2004 years ago was around 60,000. Needless to say, my recent FSD/Milvis P-38 is considerably more. And yes, making small cuts in a curved surface is a big PITA.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Like I said elsewhere, when I first made planes with BAO FlightShop, the poly limit was 800 polys! 800! Max fuselage sides was 8, then 10, then 12 with AF99.
    How many polys in 10 years?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.