Urbana Treats

Thread: Urbana Treats

Urbana Treats

I remember, before the crash, Witpilot was doing a series on the B-17 in Urbana.. I flew a Warrior there today (for a GREAT burger), and to check on the B-17. A nice treat was that there was also DC-3, and an A-26 parked near the B-17 hangar. It's been about a year since I looked in on the B-17 project...she's starting to take shape :mixedsmi:

Attachment 58127

Attachment 58123

Attachment 58124

Attachment 58125

Attachment 58126

Cool, I've missed Witt's updates.

Brett , some very nice pics . I was at Wright-Pat for sixteen years in the Reserves and never made it over there(Urbanna) which is a fairly short drive . It's probably 1 1/2 hours away from where I live . I'm going to have to make it a point to get over there before the weather gets bad . It looks like an excellent place to take a camera .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Brett , some very nice pics . I was at Wright-Pat for sixteen years in the Reserves and never made it over there(Urbanna) which is a fairly short drive . It's probably 1 1/2 hours away from where I live . I'm going to have to make it a point to get over there before the weather gets bad . It looks like an excellent place to take a camera .

Rich
    With enough notice.. and good timing (if I'm Columbus).. just drive as far as the Ohio State Airport (KOSU), and hop in plane .. we'll fly there

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_Henderson View Post
    With enough notice.. and good timing (if I'm Columbus).. just drive as far as the Ohio State Airport (KOSU), and hop in plane .. we'll fly there
    I am going to take you up on this some day . That's a promise !

Hey guys....

I have been meaning to start up a new thread here pretty soon... Life has been quite hectic around here though with a 2 month old daughter, and a 14 month old vying for my attention, plus my new job which keeps me away from 4:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm... plus saturdays. So, I haven't done any work at the airport. I stop in a couple times a week to talk to my dad who is there 7 days a week... but as for work, maybe this coming week I can start again.

Brett, what time were you there yesterday?? Was your Warrior there around 3:30ish??? If so, I saw her sitting on the ramp.... If you missed the last thread, I had posted on that A-26 & C-47.... both belong to the B-17 group.... & that DC-3 has B-17 props on it.

ALso, Did you notice the hanger being built on the north side of the field? That will be the futur home for all the planes....

I promise to have some updates soon....!!!

-Witt
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    Hey guys....

I have been meaning to start up a new thread here pretty soon... Life has been quite hectic around here though with a 2 month old daughter, and a 14 month old vying for my attention, plus my new job which keeps me away from 4:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm... plus saturdays. So, I haven't done any work at the airport. I stop in a couple times a week to talk to my dad who is there 7 days a week... but as for work, maybe this coming week I can start again.

Brett, what time were you there yesterday?? Was your Warrior there around 3:30ish??? If so, I saw her sitting on the ramp.... If you missed the last thread, I had posted on that A-26 & C-47.... both belong to the B-17 group.... & that DC-3 has B-17 props on it.

ALso, Did you notice the hanger being built on the north side of the field? That will be the futur home for all the planes....

I promise to have some updates soon....!!!

-Witt
    I was in a white Warrior, with orange and brown trim. I landed at about 11:45.. ate.. walked down by the B-17 Hangar..spent about 20 minutes there. We were airborne by 1:15.

They're always so friendly. One guy was explaining that DC-3 (it's gotta be in military paint before I'll call it a C-47 ..LOL) was there for some work.. something about hoses, and lines and yeah.. he mentioned the props. The A-26 had a more dire explanation.. It was a spraying plane.. I guess they took the tank out ?.. and it aint particularly airworthy. He offered to drive us down to the new hangar in a golf-cart.. but I told him we saw it taxiing in (got a good video from my co-pilot on the taxiing in part.. even my surprise to see the DC-3).

Maybe we'll cross paths one of these days.. I'm in Columbus about 10 times a year.. and have access to rental aicraft. I've photographed that B-17 about 6 times now, over the last three years.

Must not have been you then Brett.... I was driving by on the way home from work and noticed 2 or 3 planes on the ramp around 3:30ish... Have you ever seen the Grimes Flying Lab on any of your trips down??? Its also worth a good look. It is in the main hanger there... Says "Grimes" on the roof. I spent a lot of time on that one too... & my dad's hanger/classroom ( he teaches an Aviation Careers class) is the smaller of the three hangers that all look alike there.... Oh, and one more thing, have you ever seen the B-25 or T-6 there?? Hopefully everything will be inside before winter is out....

-witt
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.