Fairey Firefly
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fairey Firefly

Fairey Firefly

Ever since seeing a Firefly at the Reno Air Races, I always wanted one for my FS hangar.

This afternoon I downloaded and installed the freeware Aeroplane Heaven Firefly. Although made for FS 2002, it does work in FS 2004 with one exception - no prop.

Anyways, I'm going to try to do some tweaking. I've already aliased the sounds and reset the parking radius. Now I need to tweak the flight dynamics. The cockpit is a little crude, but I might try to do some updates on that as well using gauges from other AH a/c.

Has anyone else tried to adopt this to FS9? If so, is it possible to get the prop visible? Or perhaps you might have some additional tweaks or repaints?

According to the readme.txt file written by Aeroplane Heaven Team, there were plans to rebuild it for CFS3 and FS2004. What ever happened to that idea? :isadizzy:

Also, one last question (Baz, are you here? ). The model folder contains about four different mdl files along with other miscellaneous backup files. Anybody have an idea what the differences are? Miight one of these mdl files allow me to see a prop?

Thanks,

--WH

Edit: Oops! My bad, it was an Albacore I was on about........

thedude247
    Like to see a Firefly for FS9 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude247 View Post
    Like to see a Firefly for FS9 myself.
    Well....okay.

As I mentoned, no prop. There is only one model and one texture. Only the tailhook, gear and flaps are automated. The cockpit opens with the flaps. Only a VC light, and landing light so the other lights need to be added. No radio, throttle or navigation gauges so they will need to be added as well. The cockpit shot is from the VC.

Ah well, something different for my stable.

--WH

A.F. Scrub did one that works in FS2004 but no VC
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

This is Bazzar's Firefly. He helped me to get the props and the landing gear visible, I don't remember how though. It was lost in one of the many reinstalls long ago. It would be great to have it back in my sim, I loved that livery. I'll check my backup files to see if I kept the fix. Otherwise, does anyone know how to find him?

I know Stiz was workking on this one but he broke it off. Barry had sent him the source files. What I know of it he didn't succeed in getting it done.
    Barry himself is far too busy in other projects to do something on the Firefly.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    I'll check my backup files to see if I kept the fix.
    Thanks. Send me a PM if you find them.

The closer I look at the Firefly, the more I notice that it is a WIP. There are a lot of unfinished details, even for FS 2002. Shame. This has so much potential.

--WH

Sorry guys, I went through all my cd's and I can't find the fix. I would love a Firefly for FS9. It's amazing all the aircraft we do have, rarities and all, and not a Firefly. Um..perhaps someone proficient in Gmax aircraft modeling will take up the project..any of you guys know anyone like that?
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ne_drawing.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usvJNuoxiRQ

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/other_c...y_firefly.html

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Thanks. Send me a PM if you find them.

The closer I look at the Firefly, the more I notice that it is a WIP. There are a lot of unfinished details, even for FS 2002. Shame. This has so much potential.

--WH
    This was the first plane Bazzar made. I don't think it is a WIP, the standard was somewhat less high in those days and this was considered a fine model!

Cees

I think Tom Wood had some connection to the AH one, he did bring it up a while ago, mentioned bringing it up to FS9 before someone pointed the AH Beta out to him, maybe if we petition Tom he would be kind enough to finish her? I sure as heck would pay (maybe even twice) for a Firefly.

Correct me if I got the wrong end of the stick.....

But if it was your originaly Tom, I'd happily give you a big kiss and then pay you for the pleasure for a up-to-date Fly.

Jamie

After reading Cees' post I think I remember a bit more, I think Tom mentioned that Baz used to work for Simtech or something like that and that technically Simtech held the rights to the model or something. It should be here in the posts somewhere.

Jamie

Interesting. An old freeware AH a/c with a history. It is too bad that nobody seems to have any recommended tweaks.

The install has several mdl files which I tested. One has a full propeller, but is missing the starboard landing strut and crew, and the flaps are not as they should.

--WH

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I know Stiz was workking on this one but he broke it off. Barry had sent him the source files. What I know of it he didn't succeed in getting it done.
    yea i did start work on it, but after hard thinking (and moveing away from FSDS!) decided to drop it. Still got the source files though .....
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

All I want is a prop. That's not much to ask, is it?? :ernae:

--WH

Charter Member 2011
    well considering i'd have to re buy fsds then learn it again, then rebuy and install fs9 ... it might be considered a tad bit much :ernae:
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    well considering i'd have to re buy fsds then learn it again, then rebuy and install fs9 ... it might be considered a tad bit much :ernae:
    If I might add my two cents comments and since all that is needed (or is it ?) is just a propeller:

"All I want is a prop. That's not much to ask, is it?? "

... and since I work with FSDS v.3.5, perhaps I could give it a try...

If Stiz will send me the source files...

Cheers,

Fleurdelys

Charter Member 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurdelys View Post
    If I might add my two cents comments and since all that is needed (or is it ?) is just a propeller:
    well depends on what you want to do with it ... i thought it needed a lot of work but i was planning on updateing it.

And you'd have to ask bazzar, its still his plane and his source files

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    All I want is a prop. That's not much to ask, is it?? :ernae:

--WH

Considering it is A FS2002 aircraft, and FS2002 was released pretty much the same time as CFS2, perhaps you can find a CFS2 prop somewhere that looks the part, rename it, and drop it into the texture file?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by stiz View Post
    well depends on what you want to do with it ... i thought it needed a lot of work but i was planning on updateing it.

And you'd have to ask bazzar, its still his plane and his source files
    Just trying to get Warhorse47 a propeller for a FS2002 plane which has already been heavily modified from its original version to fly in FS2004...

Your previous post stated that you didn't wan't to go buy FSDS and learn it again but this last seems to suggest that you might...

Perhaps Warhorse47 could go through the red tape since it is his wish to have a Firefly and you could share the source files with me as a temporary solution; I'll make a prop for the plane and you can update the VC eventually...

I will return the source files + a brand new propeller when done...

I'm a prop man myself and no good whatsoever at VCs...

Fleurdelys

It is more likely a model problem and no amount of texture changing will fix it some ex 2002 will work ok but very few

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post
    Considering it is A FS2002 aircraft, and FS2002 was released pretty much the same time as CFS2, perhaps you can find a CFS2 prop somewhere that looks the part, rename it, and drop it into the texture file?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy208 View Post

Mike
    Well, this is what I know...

The AH Firefly is for FS 2002 and the textures have 3 prop files, but the prop does not show in FS9 with the standard mk5.mdl model.

The 3 prop files are prop3.bmp, prop.bmp and prop_L.bmp. And I have a variety of other prop files that are identical and can possibly be used to replace them, but I don't think that is the issue.

The aircraft comes with several other *.mdl files. The firetest.mdl does enable the prop to display, but it appearently is a test mdl as there are problems with the other parts of the aircraft.

There is no text file that gives any clue as to the purpose of any of the other model files, or if one works better than the other.

So... back to the drawing board.

If we can ever find Baz, maybe he can shed some light and possibly a solution.

Thanks

--WH

Gentlemen,

Was able to download the freeware AH fs2002 Fairy Firefly model from the following link:

http://www.heavenlyhangars.com/ahmem...cials_OLD3.htm

Boz

Retired SOH Administrator Henry's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    actually the firefly was not Baz's first
    it was the DH Hornet, i worked on both
    with others
    that was a while and many moons ago
    but it was a great one
    and still is but time goes on
    H