Any Ultralight Pilots Around?

Thread: Any Ultralight Pilots Around?

Question Any Ultralight Pilots Around?

Always wondered about learning how to fly one.

This design looked interesting. (Actually it looks like something Lionheart would model).

Moses

it's just like flying a regular aircraft, just slower.... my advice is to try it, it's good fun.

Smile

FORMER UL pilot, yes. Maybe you need a stronger stomach for flying an ultralight than a regular aircraft... they bounce up and down a bit more when hitting spots of sunshine and shadow

You also need to be aware of the limitations of the aircraft..... too much wind and there's no flying.

Other than that, it's easier than a Cessna, less instruments !
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Happiness Consultant
    I've always wanted too but never went through with it ...

What a great looking aircraft!
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Blog Entries
    My home field was Kittyhawk just a couple of miles outside of San Antonio in a town called Garden Ridge up until 2000. It is TS67 in MSFS. I used to fly a Quicksilver Sprint. It had a Rotax 447 engine and was a blast to fly. I only paid $5000 for it and it had 10 hours of use...it was a steal! The intended pilot got scared and put a quick sale on it.

The group I would fly with used to have paintball wars with each other above 1500 AGL(don't try that at home kiddies-bank too sharp and you won't recover). However, as much fun as it was, it was also as much terror if you got caught in a sudden wind shear. Kittyhawk was close to some high tension lines that made the 32 approach a little risky if you were coming in from NW San Antonio. Also Randolph AFB restricted airspace was just an thought away if you dumb enough not to pay attention to what you were doing.

There is a lot to be aware of. In many ways it is more dangerous than flying GA, but it is also a lot of fun if you remember the rules. Take the ten hour course offered to Ultralight pilots! It could save your life. I may do it again some day. Francois is right-hope ya got a strong stomach!

Here are the rules:
    RULES OF THE AIR

1. Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.
    2. Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.
    3. It's always better to be down on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.
    4. The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
    5. When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.
    6. A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again.
    7. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
    8. Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps taking about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction.
    9. Always try to keep the number of landings you make equal to the number of take offs you've made.
    10. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no-one knows what they are.
    11. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
    12. Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.
    13. It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as possible.
    14. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.
    15. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are, however, no old bold pilots.
    16. Remember-- the sky above you, the runway behind you and the gas in the hanger won't help you once airborne.

Happy Landings
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam