A new Zlin paint

Thread: A new Zlin paint

A new Zlin paint

I just finished up a paint for Piglet's Zlin.

Heres a side view....

...and one from above showing the treatment I did on the wings.....

The fuselage has my 'metallic' paint on it and I tried a new effect on the wings to make it appear like the 'colour shifting paint' seen on some cars these days. As the light reflects of it so the paint changes colour but you have to get the light just right to see the effect and unfortunately it is very hard to capture in a screenshot.

Next up are a couple of shots of the UC detail and again the screenshots do not do it justice but I have been able to get a very realistic polished metal look to the UC and spinner.

Finally here is a shot while I was playing over a small airfield with smoke on....

...and no the blue smoke is NOT a stock FSX item. I had to create it myself but it looks pretty good IMHO.

I will get it packaged up and uploaded shortly.

I think for my next one I will have a go at an all metal skin, well apart from the nose as I think that is a composite molding of some sort.
    Larry

Excellent work, but I have one question. I've just downloaded it and installed it, except the dash behind the instrument panel is now shiny metallic and appears to show a nice reflection of the desert no matter where I'm flying. Was this intentional or has something gone amiss when it was being packaged up?
    Swa se ðeodkyning þeawum lyfde

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    Excellent work, but I have one question. I've just downloaded it and installed it, except the dash behind the instrument panel is now shiny metallic and appears to show a nice reflection of the desert no matter where I'm flying. Was this intentional or has something gone amiss when it was being packaged up?
    OOPS!

It appears I missed a key file from the package. In order to reduce file size and to better conform to the FSX SDK I only included the specific files required for that paint and there should have been a 'texture.cfg' file which pointed to all the common texture files required.

I have attached the file for you, just save it, unpack and place the file in the 'FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Z-50L\texture.G-TAKO' folder and that should fix it.

Could you please let me know if that works and sorry for the problems.

I will also package it up with a 'read me' and get it uploaded to the library.
    Larry

Tako,
    The Z-50 is all metal structure, with fabric upper fin, rudder, tail planes, and elevators. The cowl looks to be fiberglass. The rest is riveted stressed skin, with corrugated ailerons. All the control tabs are metal.
    BTW, Nice schemes!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Piglet Conrad
    Piglet's Peculiar Planes
    "Ahhh... the freedom of freeware!"
    First Rule of Aviation:
    Don't piss off your mechanic.

I am really glad you posted in this thread Tim as I thought I had my bare metal scheme done tonight but it appears I need to make some changes from what you just said! :isadizzy:

I had read that some parts of the Zlin were fabric but I wasn't able to fully deduce just what those were. I currently have the rudder, elevators, ailerons and trim tabs as fabric. So from what you are saying I need to make the trim tabs and ailerons metal and the upper fin and tail planes fabric.

Do you have any idea where the demarcation line is for the fabric on the upper fin? I have searched for info and images but have not found anything decisive yet.

EDIT:

I just found this pic that seems to show the demarcation line running at about 45° down from the fin LE toward the tailplane and then running parallel to it until it meets the rudder. I think I will go with that unless I hear something different.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviatio.../3/1094356.jpg
    Larry

dhazelgrove
    Put this scheme on an F-4 or F-16 and you're golden.....

Dave

hy Tako Kichi

what I need to do to have this smoke in my aircraft?

and for other colors?

To create the blue smoke you need a good understanding of the FSX (or FS9 for that matter) effects system and how it works. The effects files are very complex and it requires a lot of reading of the SDK documents to understand how they work and which parameter produces which results in game. Even with the knowledge it sometimes requires a lot of trial and error to get the effect you want as it is hard to visualize how the effect will change when you are looking at a string of numbers and changing numeric values while trying to imagine how that will alter the effect in game. Very often the only way of telling what changed is to make an adjustment, fire up the sim and see what changed then go back and repeat the process. It can become very time consuming but often the results are worth the effort.

I have some other ideas for the smoke effect that I am currently thinking about and if they work I may offer them as a 'pack' of effects but I guess if people really wanted the blue smoke for now I could attach the effect to a post for them to use.
    Larry

I've also uploaded some smoke effects to Sim-Outhouse a while ago with White, Blue, Red and Green base colours fading over time. They come with a readme to set the coordinates for various aerobatic models for either single or dual exhaust outlets points rather than some vague distance behind the aircraft . I made these after I bought the excellent Sukhoi 26 model. I'll try and find some pics of them to post again.

If you use these, the coordinates I'm using for the Zlin work out as

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0=5.2, 0, -3.7, fx_jetsky_dual_smoke_w change the last w for r, g or b for red, green or blue colour

OK Here's the excellent Zlin with White smoke and optional Green, Red and Blue depending on which light is turned on.

[SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0=5.2, 0, -3.7, fx_jetsky_dual_smoke_w

[LIGHTS]
    // use ctrl L to get red, shift L to get green, just O to get Blue
    light.0 = 4, 13, 0, -3.7, fx_jetsky_dual_smoke_g
    light.1 = 5, 13, 0, -3.7, fx_jetsky_dual_smoke_r
    light.2 = 2, 13, 0, -3.7, fx_jetsky_dual_smoke_b

What happened to my Road Angel paint?

I like the coloured smokes - very interesting. That is one thing you can do in sim, that you can't manage in real... (yet?)
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

i dunno CBris, all you'd have to do is delay or even lower the 'burn' temperature, remember the smoke is diesel.... in theory it could be done even if it was a smaller plume of smoke inside the main plume of a higher grade diesel....

if i remember right mr.Clayton did a set of smoke for FS9, included a 'radioactive' one..........

Quote Originally Posted by CBris View Post
    What happened to my Road Angel paint?

I like the coloured smokes - very interesting. That is one thing you can do in sim, that you can't manage in real... (yet?)
    Woops, Old pic, I must've squashed it down too much so it's all pixelated.

I'm sure The Red Arrows have changed colour in flight at one show I was at, must be separate source tanks with different die in the diesel.

it is.... if you look on the back of the reds aircraft theres 3 tubes that protrude into the jetstream, these spray a mine mist of dyed diesel which when heated produces the coloured smoke....

Jetstream, i cannot find it in the library, is there another way i can grab it?

Nice smoke Jetstreamsky.

I just spent the afternoon messing with a 'colour change' smoke of my own for my next repaint and then popped in here and saw you had already discovered how to do it (I wasn't even sure it was possible until I started messing)....unless you had just switched colours using the 'light' function! I wouldn't mind getting hold of your effects for reference as it looks like your transition between the colours is much smoother than mine and it would save me a whole lot of trial and error time if I could see where your file differs from mine.

Thanks for the info on using the light section to switch colours on/off too...that is a really neat idea and I WILL be using that. :ernae:
    Larry

Here's the link http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&FileType=fsx&page=download s&Category=effects#download

Just don't turn all the lights on at once

The actual smoke command 'I' gives a more consistent smoke effect than the lights do, so use that one for your colour of choice.

Of course you could use the lights to add smoke at wing tips etc.

Sukhoi Su-26 and Zlin Z-50L

thanks Jetstream, will be handy for my paint of the Zlin...

Great smoke enhancement well done

I know the topic is quite old!
    but I have a question are there coordinates for your great Smoke System lets say for the Payware Realair SF260, Alabeo Su26+Pitts or the Great Freeware Edge 540 and ARX-5X Coyote Concept Aircraft?

thanks in advance,
    Thomas