Eduardo Fadul's PT-19 Cornell - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eduardo Fadul's PT-19 Cornell

Obio,
    So based on your Chrome Yellow research, I figure the lemon yellow tail color here is incorrect, right?

Actually, the lemon yellow tail...which is actually Chrome Yellow..is correct. The orangy yellow wings are incorrect. The Chrome Yellow is a bit bright for my tastes....so, knowing that Chrome Yellow had a fairly high lead content and tended to darken a bit due to the lead oxidizing when exposed to air and sunlight, I might tweak the color a bit to take some of the radioactivity out of it. Or I might just leave the wings the orangy yellow and paint the tail to match...I like the wing color better than the tail color. My moto is: Never let history stand in the way of painting planes to look their best.

According to the color chart thingie I downloaded from Simmerspaintshop.com, the wing color is correct for USAAC flight surfaces on planes from 1924 to 1943. How accurate is the information in that color and usage chart? No idea...but it is the color chart I have been using since my first days as a skinner and no one has come hunting me down for using the wrong colors on the planes I have painted.

Of course, all this paint color conjecture could easily be cleared up if one of you gents would just invent a time machine and travel back through aviation history with a colorspectrograph and get RGB readings on all the paints used on the aircraft that we so love to paint today.

Just looking through the color chart thingie, and I might go with ID Yellow (RGB code 255, 183, 0). That yellow is not as day glow as the Chrome Yellow nor as orange as the current wing color. A nice compromise between the two. A darker yellow, but not overly dark or overly orange.

OBIO

Okay...this just struck me and it is not intended to be an insult to those who fly FS2004 or CFS2...just a thought that popped into my big lumpy head.

When doing paints for FS2004, I feel the need to be more accurate in color selection, insignia placement, etc. Civil simmers seem to take those things more seriously...more like aviation historians.

When doing paints for CFS2, I didn't feel the need to be as accurate in color, insignia placement, etc. Those combat fliers really didn't seem to care what color the plane was, just as long as they could shoot it down. A pink Me109, bring it on! Makes it easier to spot and send to the dirt in flames. A periwinkle and mauve B-24....I'll laugh while I fill it with lead.

This, my friends, is the clearest case for "gun control" I have ever come across...and the only one that actually has any merit to it.

OBIO

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Actually, the lemon yellow tail...which is actually Chrome Yellow..is correct... The orangy yellow wings are incorrect. The Chrome Yellow is a bit bright for my tastes...
    OBIO
    I don't know if you built and painted plastic models before you got into virtual planes, so you may not be familiar with the raging controversies about historical colors and how they should look on models.

A big one has to do with "scale color," which expresses the idea that actual colors applied to a little model will look darker than they looked on a full sized plane. So an adjustment must be made, and just what degree of adjustment will probably never be resolved.

In virtual modeling we have other variables, like different video cards and enviro bitmaps and monitor settings. It's worse than plastic. At least when you paint a plastic model, correctly or not, it will look the same to each person who sees it. Not so in virtual modeling! You can do everything to come up with the proper shade of a color, and the people who download your paint may or may not see it the way you saw it on your system.

With that in mind, my thought on the Fairchild is that the wings and tail should be the same yellow, but you have a lot of leeway in deciding what shade of yellow looks good to you. And whatever shade you choose, it may not look the same to the rest of us.

Personally, I prefer your wing yellow to your tail yellow - but they might not look the same to me as they do to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    It is for rollover protection, you are correct sir.

caz
    I'm really not sure I'd fancy trying it out though, we have ploughed fields all around the strip!
    PJ
    www.uk-warbirds.net Historic flying in the UK

Mick,

You are totally correct on the variables between each persons installations and systems. With CFS2, these variables are limited to mainly the hard ware being used, but in FS2004 the degree of difference between each persons install are astronomical. So many different things to add to the sim that influence the appearance of planes, scenery, effects.

I decided to go with ID Yellow on the wings and tail. ID Yellow is some place between the Chrome Yellow on the original tail and the orangy yellow on the wings. More subdued than the Chrome Yellow but not as laid back as the orangy yellow. I think it works quite well for this application. ID Yellow, according to the color chart I use, is RGB code 255, 183, 0.

The paint in the attached screen shot is of the PT-19 owned and flown by the Classic Flight Machines Collection in the UK and is the plane in the pics that planejunky posted earlier in this thread. This particular PT-19 is the only airworthy PT-19 in the UK and possibly in all of Europe.

OBIO

Obio,
    Your RGB values for ID Yellow look good for wing and tail color. I lightened the shade by 10% just because it looked better to me, but I do that all the time. I've always liked the USN wing color on Mick's pre-war paint jobs, although like he said in his post I'm not seeing the same color as other people.
    Thank God this is not one of those "history's mysteries" issues like what color were the Zeros at Pearl Harbor. Anybody remember this old Aurora kit???

doesn't bother me much when modelling what the base colour is anymore, used to really annoy me, but now i discovered the joy of body filler and sanding its a quick blast all over with the matte white or a neutral grey as a primer, then the colour and finally if its an airliner add a clear coat... but that kit of the Zero is out of whack... how did they end up with that colour? its as though the note-taker heard "yellowish cream" and just noted down yellow... anyways back to PT-19, OBIO i think you did well on taking a median colour and applying it something catches my eye though.... the shadows/highlights from the underlying framework... they just look a bit Darth Vader to me..(on the Dark Side)... just finalising my paintkit for this beauty, shame it won't take an alpha channel... could make that scheme really pop...

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    ... Anybody remember this old Aurora kit???
    Yep, I had that kit!

I also had the companion kit, a RED Messerschmitt 109.

Quote Originally Posted by OBIO View Post
    Mick,

.. I decided to go with ID Yellow on the wings and tail.

OBIO

Looks great! (On my system anyway...)

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    ... I've always liked the USN wing color on Mick's pre-war paint jobs...
    Thank you!

I wonder if the color you like is similar to the one I selected...???

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Thank you!
    I wonder if the color you like is similar to the one I selected...???
    I've never tweaked colors in any of your paints so the wing color I like is probably very close to your original - just a tad lighter because that's how I have my video set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    something catches my eye though.... the shadows/highlights from the underlying framework... they just look a bit Darth Vader to me..(on the Dark Side)... just finalising my paintkit for this beauty, shame it won't take an alpha channel... could make that scheme really pop...
    Yeah, the fuselage shadows do appear a bit dark...still tweaking things to the final form on all fronts on this plane...flight dynamics, panel, skins, sound pack....basically a total update of the plane.

OBIO

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    ... shame it won't take an alpha channel...
    Well, you can make it take an alpha channel.

If you're looking for reflectivity, Jeff's "Shiny" (Ivan Hsu's Shine with a Windows interface) will enable reflectivity with a mouse click. You can get "Shiny" here in the SOH library.

I recently saw how drastically reflective textures are affected by different enviro bitmaps, and it discouraged me so much that I've virtually stopped using reflections in my painting. The stock enviro bitmap stinks to high heaven, and there are so many different replacements available that I don't think reflections look the same on any two confuters anymore.

Anyhoo, if you go that route, and want to release your paints, you can either package a reflective model with your repaints (with the modeler's permission, I'd presume) or include instructions in your ReadMe telling where to get Shiny and what to do with it.

Berserk
    OBIO as i had told you by mail, you are doing a great job so far

Best Regards

Eduardo Fadul

Thanks Eduardo

Feels good getting compliments on one's work, but more so when the person who made the plane originally gives you a thumbs up.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And a big thank you to Eduardo for creating the PT-19 in the first instance. :ernae:
    Here's a picture of our PT-19 flying a very nice display with a Stearman on Sunday afternoon.

PJ

guys i'm almost done making my paintkit for this bird, if anyone would like the paintkit just let me know also going to makie a kit for the PT-26 (canopy variant) Cornell II

Berserk
    planejunky, wow really have some great planes there, Do you have vacant for a Colombian aeronautic engineer/aeronautical technical (i have the course but lack the technical licence, however i have experience in metal sheet works)??????

I want to make a second version of almost all my planes, i dont know if you have pics with the missing details to improve the plane

BEst Regards

Eduardo Fadul

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
    planejunky, wow really have some great planes there, Do you have vacant for a Colombian aeronautic engineer/aeronautical technical (i have the course but lack the technical licence, however i have experience in metal sheet works)??????

I want to make a second version of almost all my planes, i dont know if you have pics with the missing details to improve the plane

BEst Regards

Eduardo Fadul

Sure Eduardo, we have some good all round pictures of the PT, and if there's anything specific you need pictures of, I can take them next time I'm in the hangar.

The Stearman is not CFMC's, its owned by someone else and flown from another strip nearby. Personally I think it's the nicest Stearman flying in the UK, and John Terrell did a really nice skin for David Eckert's Stearman for me too!

PJ

Berserk
    planejunky, i want to ask you pics of the cockpit (pilot and copilot), like a 360° in order to know how is the internal structure, the panel, instruments, pedals, stick.

The engine, how you see it through the hole, the exhaust, thing like that

And the details in general, fuel caps, antennas, lights, horns, thing like that.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk View Post
    planejunky, i want to ask you pics of the cockpit (pilot and copilot), like a 360° in order to know how is the internal structure, the panel, instruments, pedals, stick.

The engine, how you see it through the hole, the exhaust, thing like that

And the details in general, fuel caps, antennas, lights, horns, thing like that.

Regards
    OK, there may be a small wait as I'm not sure when I'll be down the hangar.

I'll take a look at what I have in my current photos and see if there's anything useful in the current archive, but my photos are general pictures of the aircraft, so I reckon I'll have to take some specific pictures for you.

Cheers
    PJ

yes Eduardo, thanks for creating such a classic (and beautiful) aircraft :ernae:

Question

I was searching for some repaints on the PT-19 and came across this thread.

OBIO, have you made your repaints avialable somewhere?

--WH

Still have a few tweaks to do..very minor stuff actually...before the package is ready to upload. I was THIS CLOSE to having it done, then my Adult Attention Deficient Disorder kicked in and I wondered off to start nearly a dozen other projects. Happens all the time. My wife says I need pills, lots and lots of pills. Will get back to the Eduardo's PT-19 and RanchoJen's PT-26 and get them both done and uploaded....along with dedicated sound packs for both planes...based on actual recordings of a PT-19.

OBIO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 1