....More Stuff down @ the Paintshop ....

Thread: ....More Stuff down @ the Paintshop ....

....More Stuff down @ the Paintshop ....

..........thanks to Thicko :ernae:

..........Stirlings Galore

http://sopwithc.wetpaint.com/page/Downloads+Page+3

Sopwith, you never cease to amaze. Bravo! :ernae:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thanks SC. That looks so atmospheric! I take it that the Horsa is an ordnance load. I probably have it tucked away somewhere. Have you repainted it or is that the original?

hewman100
    A new Stirling!!!!! Blimey you lads kept that one 'hush hush'

Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith Chameleon View Post
    ..........thanks to Thicko :ernae:

..........Stirlings Galore

http://sopwithc.wetpaint.com/page/Downloads+Page+3
    Can you make a skin for short stirling MKI?, because there are only for MkIV AND MK III!.Pleace! Or rework the skin of MKIII to change for MkI squad or unite.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxstuka View Post
    Can you make a skin for short stirling MKI?, because there are only for MkIV AND MK III!.Pleace! Or rework the skin of MKIII to change for MkI squad or unite.

:mixedsmi: .............its in the works ..........

hewman100
    I thought the 149 Sqn skin was a Mark I?

Quote Originally Posted by hewman100 View Post
    I thought the 149 Sqn skin was a Mark I?

..........possibly - anyhoo - this one is, in interim colours when still on the costly daylight "Beehive" missions over the Channel & the Low Countries - 7 SQN, mid '41 - WIP

How nice is that? Perhaps you might consider doing a "MacRobert's Reply" skin?

Yours longingly,

PomBee.:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by PomBee View Post
    How nice is that? Perhaps you might consider doing a "MacRobert's Reply" skin?

Yours longingly,

:isadizzy:........you have any references ? I know it was coded LS-F S/N N6086(15 SQN)

- I found this :

The patriarch of the family was Alexander MacRobert, who was created First Baronet of Crawnmore and Cromar. He had founded the British India Corporation and made a fortune. He married the daughter of an American physician and she became Lady Rachael Macrobert. They had three sons, Alisdair, Roderick and Iain.

Sir Alexander died in 1922 and the eldest son became Sir Alisdair MacRobert, Second Baronet of Crawnmore and Cromar. He also became the Chairman of the BIC. All three brothers were enthusiastic aviators and each qualified as a pilot as soon as he was old enough. Unfortunately Sir Alisdair was killed in a flying accident in 1938 and so Roderick became the Third Baronet.

When the Second World War broke out Sir Roderick joined the Royal Air Force and became a fighter pilot. Shortly after, the third brother, Iain, also joined the RAF and began flying Wellington Bombers. In 1941 Sir Roderick was killed while leading a squadron of Hurricane fighters in an attack on a Luftwaffe air base, and Iain became the Fourth Baronet. Unfortunately, Sir Iain didn't get to keep his title for long as he too was killed in action less than a month after his brother, earning his place on the war memorial, just below his brother.

Lady MacRobert had lost her sons and had no heir to inherit her fortune, so what did she do? She bought a bomber aircraft and gave it to the RAF! More precisely she donated the funds required to build a bomber and asked that it be named for her family. This is what she wrote to the Air Ministry:

Quote:
    It is my wish, as a mother, to reply in a way my sons would applaud - attack with great fire power, head on and hard. The amount of £25,000 is to buy a bomber aircraft to continue my son's work in the most effective way. This expresses my feelings on receiving notice about my sons ?
    They would be happy that their mother would avenge them and help to attack the enemy. I, therefore, feel that an appropriate name for the bomber would be the MacRobert's Reply. The aircraft should also bear the MacRobert's coat of arms the family crest, a crossed fern leaf and an Indian rose. Let the bomber serve where there is the most need of her and may luck be with those who fly her. If I had 10 sons, I know they all would have done service for their country.
    MacRobert's Reply was a Stirling Bomber, commissioned in October of 1941. After flying missions to Nuremberg, Cologne and Bremen the bomber was badly damaged by flak and was sent to RAF Lossiemouth for repair. Unfortunately MacRobert's Reply crashed into a Spitfire on the runway at Lossiemouth (killing the Spitfire pilot) and was damaged beyond repair.

The name was transferred to a new Stirling Bomber which continued to "attack with great fire power, head on and hard" as Lady MacRobert had wished. The second MacRobert's Reply was shot down on a mission to Middelfart in Denmark, killing all on board save the radio operator.

Not one to give up easily, the redoubtable Lady MacRobert donated the funds to buy four Hurricane Fighters, which were named The MacRobert's fighter Sir Iain HL735, The MacRobert's fighter Sir Alisdair HL844, The MacRobert's fighter Sir Roderic HL851, The MacRobert's salute to Russia the Lady HL775.

After the war was over Lady MacRobert build a substantial nursing home which she donated to the RAF Benevolent Fund for the care of retired servicemen. The home is named Alastrean House after her three sons.

Meanwhile the RAF continued to transfer the name MacRobert's Reply to new bombers as required, and the tradition has carried on to this day. The eighth MacRobert's Reply is a Tornado Bomber based at RAF Lossiemouth.

MacRoberts Reply.

Hi SC,

Here's a link to a great website that hewman100 sent me when I was looking for info on the Hurricanes. The site relates mainly to the Stirlings...

http://www.macrobertsreply.com/

Hope that this is useful.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith Chameleon View Post
    ..........possibly - anyhoo - this one is, in interim colours when still on the costly daylight "Beehive" missions over the Channel & the Low Countries - 7 SQN, mid '41 - WIP

..........posted http://sopwithc.wetpaint.com/page/Downloads+Page+3

enjoy,

Jim

thanks Jim!

hewman100
    Another masterpiece!

egypt23spitfire
    .................:ernae:..WOOOHOOO SC:ernae:

.............more beautiful pixel pushin

.........thanks Guys, we aim to please ..a little positive feedback is always welcome - I've promised the fellah's down at the shop Sundays off in future (if they keep up the good work ............ )

Thanks SC! The skins dress the old bird quite well.
    Cheers Thicko