Model painting-exhaust smudge.

Thread: Model painting-exhaust smudge.

Model painting-exhaust smudge.

I have a number of other WW2 plastic models like the Typhoon in my other post. I'd like to make them more realistic looking by hand painting on some exhaust and gun smudges onto the fuselage and wings. The attached photo of the P51 and yours truely taken some years ago gives an idea what I'm trying to achieve. Also like to give them some paint chips hear and there, to show a bit of wear and tear.
    Anybody know of a good techique to do this, I thought maybe spot a little paint and drag it along with my finger...not sure.

Use pastel chalk to do it. Seal with a dull coat.

Don

denisch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Use pastel chalk to do it. Seal with a dull coat.

Don
    Pencil dust works well too. Just take a soft lead pencil (or pastel chalk) and scratch it on some sandpaper, take the resulting dust and apply it with a small brush or Q-tip. Apply it wide and thick near the exhaust or gun port and feather it out as you move down the surface. Once applied don't touch the stain with your fingers until you seal the surface with clear dull coat, the griphite (or pastel chalk) picks up finger prints REAL easy. Once sealed its o.k. Practice on some scrap and see how it works out.

Hmmm...didn't think of those things, I'll give both a test. The pencil dust sounds like it might be a little easier to control the quanity on the surface (maybe). Looks like I came to the right place again...thank people.:mixedsmi:

Pencil dust and chalks are great and if you mess it up, simply wipe it off and start over. Once sealed with DullCoat, it's on permanently. As for paint chips, there are a couple of techniques.

One technique is to paint the aircraft in aluminum silver, then apply a thin dab of wax over the spots you want to chip. Apply your color coats, then remove the wax, revealing the aluminum beneath.

Another technique is to use a small brush and a tiny bit of silver paint to simulate paint chips.

denisch
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    As for paint chips, there are a couple of techniques.

One technique is to paint the aircraft in aluminum silver, then apply a thin dab of wax over the spots you want to chip. Apply your color coats, then remove the wax, revealing the aluminum beneath.

Another way to show heavy paint chipping, such as on WWII Japanese aircraft, is to use salt!! As above paint the aircraft aluminum silver, once the paint has dried use a brush to dab water over the area you want to show paint chips then put salt on the wetted area. When the water dries the salt remains stuck to the surface of the model. Now paint your aircraft its camouflage calors. After this paint has dried completely simply rub off the painted salt with a soft cloth exposing the aluminum paint underneath. I haven't tried this method yet, but I've seen it done and it looks good.

And then there's good ol' Micro Mask, a liquid masking agent available at any good hobby store. Its much like the wax method above. First paint your aircraft aluminum silver, dab the liquid mask where you want to show chipping, let the liquid mask dry and then paint it over. Once you camouflage paint coat has dried use masking tape to pull the dried liquid mask off your model's surface exposing the aluminum silver. Micro Mask is pretty thin out of the bottle and can dry almost flat to your model's surface so keep track of where you applied it!

Foxhound
    Very interesting ideas folks