Found this in my mailbox

Thread: Found this in my mailbox

Found this in my mailbox

Found this in my mailbox this weekend: a Fokker D21 for W40v2. Exterior model designed by Thicko, virtual cockpit under construction by Steve Seybolt. Looks very good don't you think???? I cannot tell you how excited I am

Still in beta stage, I've testflown it a few times and had great fun shooting down some Messerschmitt's

visit my blog for the latest updates

groet
    There's only one Foute Man........

I have to say that's one model I'm very interested in!

My hat's off to all you developers out there! This CFS will keep expanding as CFS2 did. I've used Thicko's work in CFS2 and I'm glad to see he's developing for CFS3! Keep it up everyone!

great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Yahoo!!!!!!

RemcoC

great! hope it comes soon!
    Gianluca

SOH-CM-2014
    Blog Entries

lets get her tested

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

sir grizz ....where art t hou

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    Yes but you need a different version, let me see what I can do in the next few days. In the interim, PM me your e-mail address. I should be able to import the skis from my CFS2 Model.
    Cheers Thicko

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    Didn't this bird make a rather amazing showing considering the fixed undercarriage?

Willem Bever
    Wow, it always happens when I have some days off. Great work Thicko!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thicko View Post
    Yes but you need a different version, let me see what I can do in the next few days. In the interim, PM me your e-mail address. I should be able to import the skis from my CFS2 Model.
    Cheers Thicko
    Be aware, there's 3 versions for Finnish D21's:

D21v2, as flown by the LVA, also 7 delivered to Finland. This aircraft had the Bristol Mercury Mk VIII engine. 43 built

D21v3, as built under license by Valtion Lentokonetehadas with a Mercury VII engine. 38 built

D21v4, as built under license by Valtion Lentokonetehadas with a Pratt & Whitney R-1535-SB4C-G Twin Wasp Junior. Different weapons, modified cockpit and larger tailfin. 50 built

Wikipedia does not tell which one had ski's......

Quote Originally Posted by popsaka View Post
    Didn't this bird make a rather amazing showing considering the fixed undercarriage?
    Test were done with an aircraft fitted with retractable gear, but little gain in performance due to increase of weight. At least in the Netherlands the Fokker D21 did not look that bizar, as the rest of the aircraft were biplanes (with exception of the Fokker G1)

Willem

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Bever View Post
    Be aware, there's 3 versions for Finnish D21's:

D21v2, as flown by the LVA, also 7 delivered to Finland. This aircraft had the Bristol Mercury Mk VIII engine. 43 built

D21v3, as built under license by Valtion Lentokonetehadas with a Mercury VII engine. 38 built

D21v4, as built under license by Valtion Lentokonetehadas with a Pratt & Whitney R-1535-SB4C-G Twin Wasp Junior. Different weapons, modified cockpit and larger tailfin. 50 built

Wikipedia does not tell which one had ski's......
    No need to tell. They all did, at least to my knowledge. The ones with Mercury engines for sure and I remember seeing pictures of Wasp models with skis too.

About the different weapons, something doesn't match here. The Mercury models had two wing guns and two fuselage guns (according to ltn Sarvanto, 2000 rounds in all, fewer rounds in the wing guns than in the fuselage guns), the Wasp models had four wing guns. Still I'm seeing pictures of Dutch aircraft with four wing guns. Makes me wonder, as the original aircraft were shipped to Finland in crates and assembled here, if the fuselage guns were a Finnish speciality?

It looks great!

Willem Bever
    About the different weapons, something doesn't match here. The Mercury models had two wing guns and two fuselage guns (according to ltn Sarvanto, 2000 rounds in all, fewer rounds in the wing guns than in the fuselage guns), the Wasp models had four wing guns. Still I'm seeing pictures of Dutch aircraft with four wing guns. Makes me wonder, as the original aircraft were shipped to Finland in crates and assembled here, if the fuselage guns were a Finnish speciality?
    Good questions, can't find exclusive answer right away. So far I found this on a Dutch WW2 site http://www.go2war2.nl/artikel/189/1 :

D21v1: prototype with 2 FN-Browning M36 7,92 mm machineguns in the wings
    2 aircraft built in licence with Madsen 7,92 mm machineguns in the wings and optional 2 Madsen 20mm cannons in gondolas under the wings (2 Danish type built

D21v2 + 3: 4 FN-Browning M36 7,92 mm machineguns in the wings, 2 in each wing.

According to the same source the D21v4 + 5 were fitted with 4 machineguns as well

According to an English Wikipedia article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fokker_D.XXI one Finnish Fokker D21 was fitted with 20mm cannons, but plans to fit all aircraft with cannons were dropped. The one aircraft had 2 x 7,92 mm and 2 x 20 mm. Wiki does not mention if the cannons were placed in the fuselage or in the wing.

Although some more reading has to be done to make final conclusions, but the Dutch D21's never had cannons, the Danish D21's could carry cannons in gondolas under the wings, and at least one Finnish D21 was fitted with 20 mm cannons.

Willem

Lionus
    you took the words from my mouth :ernae:

Thicko sent me his template for the Fokker D-21, some results can be viewed on my website

groeten!!!!!!

hey, looking good!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi Guys,

Thats a great looking model, looking forward to giving her a spin.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Another one on display at www.fouteman-goes-cfs3.tk!!!!!! 33 to go......