The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 848

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thanks Robert.
    Here's a neat parasol (only just !)...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paranet.jpg  

Gipsy-engined variant of something more usually radial - European.

I'd suggest one of the Morane-Saulnier MS.340 series if not for the fact that the tail, wing, undercarriage and wing strut arrangement doesn't seem to match. In fact, as I've amended this post I've convinced myself that I'm not even warm!

We'll not keep this lingering on too long - it's not French. Close, though...

Mike, is it possible that the radial engined variants had a different tail?

Indeed, Robert - I think you have picked up the right scent !

Right, Robert has given this a miss, surprising as I was sure he was on the right track. It has been over 24hrs so time to move on.

This is yet another effort from Stampe/Vertongen/Renard - it's the SV18M, redesigned powerplant and tail unit amongst other things. Later altered yet again to a single-seater.

OH, please, but a glass of beer for anyone who can tell me how on earth anyone accessed the front cockpit of this machine !

Sorry, Mike.

I had the idea that you posted just another Stampe and thought about the SV/RSV.18, however I didn't want to "play ping-pong" and hoped that somebody else could solve the mystery.

Concerning the forward access, maybe there is a hatch on the right site of the aircraft?

Since it is OH and to put things right I'll take the baton and post the next challenge.

No need to look at aerofiles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-244.jpg  

This one-off had its first flight in 1930 but crashed two years later.

Think this is the Jones Wonga. Also have a photo labeled "Jack Jones" that looks just like it (attached).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jack Jones 1930.jpg  

Congrats, Kevin, it is indeed the Jones Wonga VH-ULZ, the first Australian monoplane motorized by the first Australian manufactured engine (Harkness Hornet).

Thought that this bird would last longer.

Here is another view of the Wonga and some more information about it at pprune:

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-hist...aeroplane.html

Over to Texas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-244-b.jpg  

Thanks Robert.

Something a little easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x3g6k.jpg  

Qantas Hanger Longreach Queensland
    MB Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master CPU i7 12700K @4.6 GHz GPU Gigabyte RTX 3080ti Cooler Noctua NH-U15 with 2 fans RAM 32MB Corsair DDR5 Vengeance 5200MHz Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Watt Case Thermaltake level 20 xt Windows 11 64 bit Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog stick and throttle Thrustmaster TPR pendular rudder pedals

Location is correct musterpilot! Now can you or anyone else name the aeroplane?

If you mean Southern Cloud, then that is correct as the photo is an Avro 618 X.

No I meant Cross so Open House I guess

Chris

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    This one-off first flew 50+ years before the NXcub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quiz 50+atccnxcub.jpg  

Could this be the Welsh Rabbit B?

I think Robert has nailed it here, but may I suggest that it is the A model - that looks awfully like a single-seater to me !

That's why I put the question mark.

Quite mysterious this mystery.
    The Rabbit A is a single seater but has a conventional gear and the Rabbit B has a tricycle gear like the mystery but is (at least according to aerofiles) a twin seater. And I can't imagine where this tiny machine could have enough room for a passenger.

Except for the gear the mystery doesn't look very different to the Welsh Rabbit A which I found here

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1110305

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the delay in replying. Had some problems entering the site.

I have her as the Rabbit B two-seater with Continental )-200-A engine. The earlier Rabbit A was indeed a single-seater, but with a conventional (tailwheel) undercarriage and 65hp Continent al A65 engine (reportedly later replaced by a Continenat A80).
    Both A and B model had the same N3599G registration. The A was (AFAIK) later donated to the EAA Museum, so it seems the B was not a rebuilt, but new-built. From NTSB records I noted the B was damaged beyond reoair after a landing accident in November 1965.
    Attached a pic of the Rabbbit A.

The baton is placed in the very capable hands of fabulousfour
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N3599G Rabbit A.jpg  

Thanks, Walter.

How about this twin?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-245.jpg  

Several hundred of this type were built - but only 2 in this version.

Yes, last seen rounding the turn over Damascus...

Members who have read this thread: 95