The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 719

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

OK-???
    Where are the experts for "After-Woodstock Mystery Aircraft"?
    _
    gX

We must presume Walter is otherwise engaged, Uli.....

I did actually have a go at this one, and dug out my only post-millennium Jane's (2002-3). It contains a couple of dozen very similar white plastic creations, but nothing which fits exactly.....

Curious to know how you expected us to recognise it as East European - the neo-Brutalist hangar architecture in the background, perhaps ?

I must admit that these “modern Piper Cubs” all look alike. Does this mean that history repeats?
    My picture shows OK-NUU 03 an Aerosette MH-46 Eclipse, cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosette_MH-46_Eclipse

Open House then
    _
    gX

Thanks, Uli -maybe someone can tell us the definition of an ultralight, as this looks like a normal aeroplane to me!

Here's something definitely not white, and grainy almost to Mose standards.

Hint - I bought a book of old photographs on my holiday - this is described as 'a seaplane found floating in the Atlantic and towed in by a fishing boat.'

I've managed to deduce what it was - anyone else ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mysteryfloater.jpg  

I guess the picture is taken in the bay of Funchal.
    _
    gX

Have some ...... m'dear!

Whether an aeroplane is an ultralight depends, mainly, on its seating capacity and all up weight - and this differs from country to country. You'll find some guidance at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_aviation.

Thanks Mike - I had always pictured microlights as nylon-and-piano-wire machines, but it's obviously subtler than that.

You're both, of course, correct about Madeira - the next bit of detective work might take a wee while longer.....I at first thought Junkers but you can dismiss that one !

Good morning campers, at first glance thought this might be a Martin MO-1 but the floats are off.

Must be a European effort.

Correct. I thought you might be the first taker for this one.....

Looks a bit like the Caproni Ca.124 but I doubt that it is her.

This military machine was built in a west European country and a few were sold to the mother country of Madeira... Very famous designer - one of Kevin's favourites.....

Then it should be the Fokker T.III.
    I thought about Fokker already but looked only for pictures of the T.II where the floats look quite different...

I stalled out on the T.II and then had to go back to work.

Which T.III is it in the photograph? Online it says that one was 'lost in fog over the sea near Brest' on its delivery flight. If that was the one 'found floating in the Atlantic' then it's a heck of a long way for a fishing boat to tow a floatplane - from Brest to Funchal!

It has to be one of the three T.IIIW machines purchased by Portugal. I've been unable to find exact details - obviously it isn't the one which foundered in the Bay of Biscay.

The giveaway is the very wide floats and accompanying strutting -there is simply nothing else which fits.

I'll try to get more detail on my next trip to Funchal in 2019 (a creature of habit), although my lack of Portuguese is a hindrance ! - in the meantime the cerveja goes to Robert -

Mike, don't most people on Madeira speak a quite reasonable English? On my last trip there I had almost no difficulty to be understood, some people even speaking a broken German. However, that was 20 years ago.

Here is another floater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-116.jpg  

Robert, I was thinking more in terms of accessing old documents in the library, or whatever. Yes, English is very widely spoken, and German too. Probably 40% of the regular guests in our hotel are German.

Of course, if you believe the anti-Brexit scaremongers, we Brits will be prohibited from entry quite soon. I suggested this to my Madeiran publican friend who thought it immensely funny........

By the way, I like your floater - a new one to me. Must get working on it.

Of course - it's the Albatros L.102. Or Focke-Wulf Fw55. Take your choice !

I do accept both, Mike.
    In fact that would have been one of my clues, if it would have become necessary.

Over to you

Thank you Robert.

Here's neat little machine for your next mystery - should last a few minutes !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wtftboa22.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    The closest I can think of is the XX-02 from Chile. If wrong, at least I got the contest going

Hi Walter
    the designation I have is HFB XX-02B from, of course, Chile. Over to you sir

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    It has to be one of the three T.IIIW machines purchased by Portugal. I've been unable to find exact details - obviously it isn't the one which foundered in the Bay of Biscay.

The giveaway is the very wide floats and accompanying strutting -there is simply nothing else which fits.

I'll try to get more detail on my next trip to Funchal in 2019 (a creature of habit), although my lack of Portuguese is a hindrance ! - in the meantime the cerveja goes to Robert -
    Hi Mike
    please forgive me for my slow thinking and even worse eyesight but even by magnifying your pic of the Fokker t-IIIW(or 3) I still cannot make any head or tail of the big dark bulge on top of the fuselage looking to me like the half of an ice-cream cone (if I may use this irreverent expression)...would anybody care to explain?
    Cheers
    Carlo

Carlo, I don't really know but suspect it might be a crew member!