The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 625

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

That Sir is a Wackett Widgeon.

That's correct, Sir It's G-AEKB

All kinds of Wacketts have appeared here before but not yet the Widgeon, AFAIK.
    _
    gX

Thanks Uli (if you don't mind we call you that).

Keeping the biplane theme going...

Too late for WWI, this experimental design killed the test pilot on its first flight when the wings folded in right after take off. Nothing further was heard from this company as the order was cancelled.

Didn't think this one would stop things down. It's the Lanzius Varible Camber or Speed Scout Pursuit that crashed in July 1918. The last of several experimental designs.

Open board please.

Oddball machine, Kevin. Even more curious is that supported wall in the background - looks like backdrop scenery for a Buster Keaton movie !

With apologies for tangentialism, but if that building is a film prop - please excuse the unintentional pun - haven't the buttresses been put on the wrong side? Maybe when the film producers saw it, the order was cancelled and nothing further was heard of the set designer!

Looks like he went on to design aircraft........

Looks like the building has been "photoshopped" out. If you look at the edge.

Chris

Had kind of come to that conclusion, Chris, only it doesn't explain the odd buttressing....

Anyway, we're on OH, so here's a wee mystery - I posted this a while ago and nobody got it - perhaps some of our newer colleagues will ? (a clue there....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rettterrtt.jpg  

In the lowest vocal range. Where? What a gem!

Well, I know it as Bassou - SCAL Rubis 01, F-ALZZ whatever this means?
    _
    gX

Seems like a VERY early prototype of the Khrunichev T-411

A veritable barrage of answers - ph, modest and retiring as ever, declined to name what he patently knew, so gX gets the refreshment Yet another French flight of fancy. As for Khrunicev, I cannot comment. The 21st century is not really my era.....

Didn't mean to start a discussion on the buildings in the background. Chris is correct, as I had cropped out a frontal view that turned out to be google searchable. You know how I dislike that cheat!

(Original pic attached).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lanzius Variable Camber.jpg  

For some difference:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails l7l7l7.jpg  
    _
    gX

Breguet 941

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi giruXX
    That looks like an McDonnell MDC-188 (aka MDC-941, aka Br-941S)

et bien sur! to Pomme homme

Breguet 941 aka McDonnell 188
    _
    gX

Du bist sehr freundlich, giruXX.

Now here's a tubby wee thing .....

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Icon26

Hi PH
    F-WCDG which I have as the (around 1951?) Moineau by Mr. George Sauvageot. However, I have also seen her described as the ASO-1050 (ASO for Air Sud-Ouest ??)
    I`m sure you have a fitting key to unlock this

You've nailed it, Walter - and come up with a third name for it! Online it's called Sauvageot 'Le Moineau' whereas Pierre Gaillard gives it as the SEA [standing for ?] Moineau. The ASO 1050 is a new one on me. I have it as dating from 1955.

It must have been kept in the 'rarities' hangar at Toussus le Noble or Guyancourt (?) as the aeroplane in the background, whose registration mark I had to blank out as well, is the ill fated SFCA Lignel 44 'Cross Country' F-BAIC in which Louis Clément lost his life when the port mainplane detached and he spun in at Gand in Belgium in May 1955.

Over to you, sir.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Thank you PH
    Sorry, but no idea where SEA comes from. Obviously a homebuilt that was built and flown around France and no details to be found. Should be a law against that!
    Next challenge a small bipe which may still exist, as I understand she was donated to a museum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quiz sbfaww2.jpg  

If you'll excuse the intrusion, Walter, a couple of shots of your ill-fated Lignel 'Crosscountry'. This appears, like many French prototypes, to have morphed from 'F-W***' to F-B***'. Why, please ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lignel.jpg  

It is my belief that F-W### is the registration series for what in the USA would be described as 'experimental' aircraft (not necessarily small and homebuilt - I photographed an A.400 carrying the registration mark F-WWOW) and that if and when they satisfy the criteria of the CDN/CDNR or CNRA registers, they migrate to that usually, it seems, carrying the last three letters of their 'experimental' registration mark. So theoretically, if an aircraft carried the 'experimental' registration mark F-WAAA one would expect it subsequently to become F-B/G/HAAA (on the CDN/CDNR register) or F-PAAA (on the CNRA register). But that's not necessarily the case. Some aircraft seem to have carried their F-W### registration marks for ages and never migrated to a F-B/G/H/P### mark. F-WCDG is an example of this - F-BCDG was a M.S.500. Thus it leaves me wondering whether the DGAC reserve a CDN/CDNR/CNRA registration mark for an aircraft and then require it to carry the same mark but with the initial B/G/H/P replaced with a W during its 'experimental' period because, that way, there a better chance of being able to carry the last three letters of its registration mark from F-W### to F-B/G/H/P###, knowing that the latter has not already been allocated, rather than allocating a F-W### registration mark sequentially, only to find that when the aircraft migrates to the CCDN/CDNR/CNRA register it has to take up a mark with four different letter anteceding the national letter. And if the aircraft doesn't migrate, perhaps then the DGAC issues the correlating mark to another aircraft (as was the case with F-WCDG and F-BCDG). Anyhow, as I've said, that's my belief but I'll try to make enquiries of some who are more likely to know than believe!

P.s. please don't ask me what happens when an aircraft moved from 'experimental' to the French ULM register, the marks for which comprise the number of the département in which it is registered (e.g. 79 for Deux Sèvres) plus two or three letters (e.g. 79-AA).