The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 999

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thanks Chris - indebted to the Larkins book for pointing me in the direction of the Boeing...

This one, although you can't see it clearly, is a trimotor -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fgreyghost.jpg  

The Spanish Loring T.3 if you ask me.

Didn't think you would let a trimotor get by you....... Over to Texas.

Thanks Mike.

It takes a lot of engineers to build a large biplane!

This bomber showed up in 1921. From a well-known stable.

Powered by a modified Bugatti engine. It made it's last flight in 1922 and was considered unsuccessful.

If it's a bomber, rather than a passenger/freight aircraft, I presume it to be the sole Breguet XXI

That is the one Mike.

In regards to the Breguet XX,XXI I think it's the XX airliner version with all the windows. The pix I have of the XXI shows different struts.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 12.39.04 PM.png   Breguet21.jpg   Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 12.38.54 PM.png  

Gosh, when I see all the bracing and struts on these giant biplanes I think of Nevil Shutes book about doing stress calculations on airships. All manual calculations! Lots and lots,,

normb

I think you are correct Chris. That 2nd pic I posted does look like the airliner version but I was looking for the XXI designation.

Err, so is it me or Chris who must run with the baton?

You can have the baton. With the description of bomber I went looking couldn't find anything. The pix I had I failed to notice any similarity. So you did the hard work.

Chris

Thank you, Kevin and Chris. Here's a monoplane from a country not readily associated with aircraft construction.

From Ethiopia

Meindl A VII

Chris

I suspect that you are correct, Chris, although my source didn't identify it as a Meindl A VII. That source (Air-Britain) describes it as the Ethiopia I Tsahai, the first aircraft to be built in Ethiopia. It says that it was built and first flown by Ing. L. Weber at Jan Meda Airfield, Addis Ababa, in 1935, before being captured by the Italian forces invading Abyssinia in 1936 and being extant today, as an exhibit at the Vigna di Valle aeronautical museum in Rome. But if one looks at photographs of the Meindl A VII, the Ethiopian aircraft matches those. So over to you.

I hadn't heard any other description of it. I've seen it over the years only ID this way.

I think I found a stumper. All I know is the pix. Looks like it capable of flight. Anyone getting the country wins the prize.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTJul1.jpg  

I think the stump may have belonged to the guy hit by a detached rotor blade during ground running tests. The country is Nigeria, and I think the name of the guy who designed it was Brilliant Young Boy; at least that it what he gets called in every article I read about this. It got the label "Nigerian Army Helicopter Project 01" but it never came to anything; I came across it when I was doing some research into HAL helicopters as Nigeria are apparently buying the Prachand.

Brilliant Young Boy Designed And Built Helicopter For Nigerian Army. - Politics - Nigeria (nairaland.com)

All you need to know about the made in Nigeria Army Helicopter – Military Africa

Does that mean I won the prize?
    Andy

You not only got the prize but a trophy.

Chris

This was a better attempt than other I've seen made in Africa so called aircraft/heli.

Quote Originally Posted by cthornburg View Post
    You not only got the prize but a trophy.

Chris

This was a better attempt than other I've seen made in Africa so called aircraft/heli.
    One would hope that Brilliant Young Boy got funding to pursue his education & career properly, he could be a real asset for Nigeria.

Anyhoo. This one, I suspect, is not a stumper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	91212
    Andy

....... OK - its the Baynes Bat Glider prototype ......

And over to you .....
    Andy

.......Thanks ! onwards with a another experimental ......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m1.jpg  

You'd have to be starck raving mad not to identify that Nenadovitch wing arrangement - as Baragouin did on 21 January 2013 and 13 June 2015! It's the Starck AS 20.

....... apologies, and well spotted - you still get the suds : over to you

Members who have read this thread: 90