The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 821

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thanks, Kevin!

Another biplane from about the same era.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-215.jpg  

In regards to the Sturtevant S-4 I have the attached pix as a S-4 only 2 Bay and 2 main gear. Anyone know the difference.
    I have reference to "Victor Advanced Trainer"/Sturtevant Steel Trainer s/n:40007

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SturtevantS4-2.jpg  

It is the SIA 9B.
    Over to Chris.

Same era another biplane

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTJan25.jpg  

should be in Aerofiles but isn't. It's close relatives are.

Chris

I found something alike called “Chamberlin-Standard model H5 commercial biplane” as well as a similar gear on an earlier Standard Model J. Would it be too speculative to assume a non-standard Standard Aero Corporation model or variant?
    _
    gX

Think Uli's on the right track here - found this shot of a Standard J-1 with 'anti-noseover gear'. Obviously many similarities with the mystery.......except the wings !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sj3.jpg  

Will give to Uli. It's a Standard JR-2
    see attached. i assume was a trainer for the military that they didn't want all the info I found was on the pix.
    Well done Uli

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USADStandardJR2_ copy.jpg  

on with a torpedo plane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0f0f0f.jpg  
    _
    gX

I think, Uli, that is a Sopwith Cuckoo ?

You think right, Mike
    a Japanese Navy Cuckoo
    _
    gX

Was it one of those taken to Japan as part of the Sempill Mission of 1921-22, led by that fine, upstanding, patriotic Scottish gentleman Wiliam Forbes-Sempill, the 'Master of Sempill'?

Thanks Uli - spent a lot of time trawling through my Japanese books until the penny dropped !

Mike, the Master of Sempill was a very naughty boy, spying for Japan for a long time. He wasn't executed, or imprisoned, or even charged for his treasonous activities. He was, after all, an Old Etonian.....

Here's a chopper to go on with -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pchop.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Mike, the Master of Sempill was a very naughty boy, spying for Japan for a long time. He wasn't executed, or imprisoned, or even charged for his treasonous activities. He was, after all, an Old Etonian.....-
    Surely you're not suggesting that attending Eton was a harsher punishment than execution or imprisonment and that is why he wasn't charged with treason!
    Last edited by pomme homme; January 28th, 2020 at 05:38.

I was once entertained to luncheon at Eton - lovely bunch of chaps.....anyway, back to business - this chopper is European

One more clue - this has one of Wout's engines !

OK, choppers never were popular in this forum - it is the Manzolini Libellula 2 from

OH please.

helicopters don’t fly,
    they scare the ground away
    _
    gX

OK, we don't like whirly birds so how about a .....

I'm convinced that its alleged 450' flight was made with the assistance of stowaway wombles!

Oh dear, he's been on the pruneau again........

Still one of my favourite films

That should be the Passat Ornithopter "flown" by Count Emilio Ponticelli in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines"

Spot on, Robert - although if I were a pedant (!), I might say that you're missing the word 'replica'. What became of the original after its - alleged - 450' flight across Wimbledon Common in 1912, before that flight was teminated by a tree, is not recorded.

Anyhow, over to Germany - but not, please, the Eardley Billing Tractor Biplane, shared both by the Germans and Japanese in that film!

And as for the eau de vie de prune. Oh no, I just had some Madeira m'dear!

I love that film and I still must smile every time I think of one of my favourite scenes where Sir Percy and his Avro ended up on a train in a tunnel. "Arretez le train!"...

Keeping the theme of unorthodox vintage aircraft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-216.jpg  
    Last edited by fabulousfour; January 29th, 2020 at 09:43.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    I did not react at your Libellula II heli, simply because I did not recognize her.
    AFAIK Count Ettor3e Menzolini built at least the Libellula (sometime referred to as Libellula 1), the Libellula II and the Libellula III and maybe he was also involved (financial backing?) in the MGB-2 (MGB for Manzolini, Giannini and Brondetti). To keep things simple, I have alsom sen the MGB-2 descrfibed as the Libellula 1 (?).
    I was always under the impression that the Libellula II (I-MANN) is surviving in the Caproni museum in Italy and as can be seen in attached photo, she has a much different configuration than the Libellula II posted by you.
    Did I take the wrong turn somewhere in the 1950s ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manzolini Libellua II.jpg