The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 13
Page 13 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Moses!
    Where on earth did you find THAT?

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks like a Sikosky S-38 damaged in a crash.

:d
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

It does look like some kind of ersatz Sikorsky but it isn't. This one is from deep within the Moze archives. :d

The only other one I can find with a similar configuration is the Yugoslav Mitrovich MMS 3, but this is obviously earlier. Another design by the same chap, perhaps ?

Not from Eastern Europe.

Pics are hard to come by on this one. This grainy shot reveals that it is a trimotor.

sandar
    That explains why the propeller attachment looked odd and of balance.

For some reason, my mind kept urging me toward a Blohm and Voss creation, but I can't find anything like this one.

Think I'm going to surrender here too - was going to have a stab at Italian - tailplane shape looks vaguely Savoia-Marchetti-ish, and they did a lot of twin-boom stuff, and there is a lot of photoshopping on it (to remove telltale tail markings?) but the whole thing is altogether too crude.

Hurricane
    My initial thoughts were along the same lines as everyone else (and I've not got much time for researching this week) so I'll give up too.

I know where Sandar is coming from with B&V, but of course the wretched thing looks like an amphibian, but isn't ! At least, I wouldn't like to be the one to try a take-off with the lower wings underwater!

This funky one is a French Weymann CTW-66 of 1933. One-off built for Colonial duty. BTW- I did remove markings from the tail.

Keeping the trimotor theme rolling-

sandar
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    I know where Sandar is coming from with B&V, but of course the wretched thing looks like an amphibian, but isn't ! At least, I wouldn't like to be the one to try a take-off with the lower wings underwater!

Or with that bulge under the nose. It is also a lot later than I thought, I suspected a mid twenties design

Don't think it is, but we'll pitch in with a Corman 3000 ?

(Got to dash off to the curling rink)

Not a Corman or anything Stinson for that matter.

Right, time for a hint. This was the last airplane designed and built by this company.

Whitewall tyres - has to be American ! I dunno - Kreutzer?

Ha! I thought that too about the tires. Not American...

Drawing a blank here. I never realised there were quite as many high-wing trimotors.......................

Didn't think this would stump everyone. It's an Aussie Larkin (LASCo) Lasconder from 1929.

Maybe something a little more modern?

Er, this looks awfully like a Sturmovik to me........................

Don't know where you found the Aussie obscurity!

No point in splitting hairs. It's an IL-10 not a IL-2 but I guess they were both referred to as "Shturmoviks". One of two captured during the Korean war.

You were supposed to be asleep! Lefty

Got an old, rather dusty, model of an Il-10 here.

Have also downloaded the fs9 Marathon, thanks for the link! It's the test version (Mk2) fitted with Armstrong Siddeley Mamba turbo-props. At the same time I got David Molyneaux's Hucknall Aerodrome (EGNA), which is rather good. Of interest to me, as it's quite near here. This was where Rolls Royce, based at nearby Derby, tested their stuff - you can see the static engine testbed (still there today) in the view from the tower. Managed to just get the Marathon safely off the ground using the rather short grass strip there!

Anyway, it must be lefty's turn, but I guess he's still
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

sandar
    I haven't given up on you yet, we are a bit busy renovating and redecorating the room where I have my PC, so it is disconnected for much of the day. Not that I have much time for trawling the web for obscure flying machines until the work is finished.

Ralf, the 'Classic British' site is a good one for most things, err, British and has become one of my favourite sites. If memory serves correctly, there are three marathon models available, the twin Mamba, the production model with four DH Gypsy Queens and an Alvis Leonides powered twin. Check out Larkham's Armstrong Whitworth Apollo as well.

Should be back to what passes as normal within a week, unless a really easy mystery pops up.

Lefty is a creature of the night...........:icon_twi:

Back to our 30's timewarp - what's this beauty ?

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Too late to pick up that IL-10, and no time to search through all those early 1930's airliner designs.. :isadizzy:

That Marathon looks nice; too bad there's no VC included.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Lefty has posted the Avro 642/2m (G-ACFV).