The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 812

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

yes of course

Utva 251 BC 3-Trojka
    _
    gX

Back to biplanes again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-202.jpg  

Captured Saiman 200 used as a misc runabout. Little suspicious when the marking is left intact.

It is the Saiman 200.

Hoped that I could confuse you folks for some seconds.

Over to Kevin.

Whilst waiting for Kevin's next offering, might I use this opportunity to tap into the resident expertise on this forum? On another forum members are agonising over the identity of the aeroplane in the hangar, behind the Farman Goliath floatplane, in the attached photograph. The consensus is that it appears to be the Farman F.171 F-AIGE but there are aspects of it which militate against that - not least that it appears to have a single 'slab' float, the inboard strut arrangement is wrong, the lower sesquiplane is missing (or has it been detached and is the apparent 'slab' float?), it has a single two bladed prop (rather than a pair of these mounted in tandem) and there are no windows on the port side of the fuselage. Also attached is another photograph showing the hangar aeroplane in greater detail. Any ideas, anyone?

Mike, nearly the same photo extract is in the Docavia book "Les Avion Farman" where the aircraft is described as Farman F.171 "special raid" built for the crossing of the North Atlantic.

This is the text in the book concerning the Farman:

Farman, qui désirait se placer en téte des « vainqueurs de |'Océan » avait, dés 1926, construit dans ce but le F 171 (2).
    Doté d’une structure métallique, ce Jabiru a envergure augmentée et muni d'une hélice Régy a deux larges pales, et qui obtint en décembre 1926 le certificat de navigabilite n° 1612 et les lettres d‘immatriculation F-AIGE, devait porter 3 800 litres d’essence répartis dans des réservoirs de fuselage et dans un large récipient en forme de sabot servant de flotteur central pour l'amerrissage. Deux roues, situées de part et d’autre de ce flotteur devaient étre larguées apres le décollage.

Le chef-pilote Maurice Drouhin fut pressenti pour cette tentative qui fut effectivement enregistrée en mars 1927 par le comité « Paris-New York ».
    Cependant Drouhin, apres les premiers essais du F 180 effectués en juillet quitta (momentanément) Farman. Il avait été engage par le « chiffonnier de luxe » Charles A. Levine pour reconduire en Amérique |I’avion Bellanca WB II « Miss Columbia » avec lequel ce dernier venait de réaliser en passager un USA-Europe sans escale, 17 jours apres l’exploit de Lindbergh. L’affaire, qui intéressait Drouhin au plus haut point puisque son désir premier était de réussir la traverseée de |'Atlantique Nord, ne se fera finalement pas et le F 171 fut alors confié aux officiers marins de Mounayreéset Coeffin.
    Les essais de cet avion ayant montré une consommation horaire de carburant excessive, le F 171 fut, en 1928, transformé en berline commerciale pour huit passagers. Mis en
    service aupres de la SGTA, celle-ci le réformera en aodt de l'année suivante, aprés 45 heures de vol au total.

@giruXX: Uli, that picture rings a bell. Is it possible that you posted that Farman as a mystery here or in the FF?

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabulousfour View Post
    Mike, nearly the same photo extract is in the Docavia book "Les Avion Farman" where the aircraft is described as Farman F.171 "special raid" built for the crossing of the North Atlantic.

This is the text in the book concerning the Farman:

@giruXX: Uli, that picture rings a bell. Is it possible that you posted that Farman as a mystery here or in the FF?
    May I confirm that this is indeed the Farman 171 (of which I possess a horrible pic) built in 1926 as a raid Aircraft for a transatlantic flight organized by a Monsieur Drouhin which didn't materialize. Engine was Farman We (500HP). It as transformed in 1928 in a 8 pax airliner registered F-AIGE and shortly exploited by SGTA.
    Cheers
    Carlo

Thank you, Robert and Carlo, I'll pass the message on. And apologies, Kevin, for my intervention.

Kevin has already shown the F.171 here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1177653
    _
    gX

Gosh, that recent. I think that my grey matter isn't what it once was!

Thanks Robert.

If you all can bear with me for a few more hours, I will have a new mystery when I am back at home.

Sorry for the delay!

I think this one has a unique enough layout to stand apart from the usual ilk of it's time period.

apparently the first "chauvesouris"
    _
    gX

Didn't see it called a "chauvesouris" but that beats boring old monoplane anyways.

http://www.aviastar.org/air/france/chauviere.php

Impressed you knew the designer so quickly. Over to Uli.

I only played with words (didn’t want to solve the mystery)

Let’s stay in that era
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z8z8z8.jpg  
    _
    gX

Quotes are not working again.

"Let’s stay in that era"

Same year even.

and from the founder of a long-lasting company
    _
    gX

the first airplane from a really famous person
    he had tried some other means of becoming airborne earlier (and again later)
    his later company was very successful and existed for 60 years
    _
    gX

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Captured Saiman 200 used as a misc runabout. Little suspicious when the marking is left intact.
    Captured in Sicily by USAF and re-registered 51224.....
    Cheers
    Carlo

Thanks Carlo.

Does not look like there are any takers so I will step in with the Breguet-Richet No 3, renamed as the Breguet No 1.

Might be out of pocket until tomorrow afternoon so here is the next one to decipher-

Bonus points for naming the period bathing suit!

Thank you Kevin
    _
    gX

Maybe the Knoll-Brayton Sachem?

Spot on Robert. (On my phone so can't access beer icons).

No problem, Kevin, just offer a double ration to me the next time.

Here is another floater, don't think it has been here before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-203.jpg  

Home again - the drop from a balmy 23 degrees to -2 is not a happy one........

Robert's elegant floater is the Short Sporting Type Biplane (Shrimp) G-EAPZ.