The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 892

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

No, what I installed yesterday wasn't chain link fencing, Keith. Dan seems closer to the mark. I've googled it and the nearest I can get is stock wire fencing or agricultural wire mesh. Designed to keep my sheep in their field rather than grazing the more verdant grass of the roadside verge!

As to the aeroplane, clues to follow soon!

The designer/constructor of this aeroplane reputedly was a prodigious aeronautical prodigy, subsequently moved south, changed his name, became prominent in seminal glider manufacture, was responsible for a well-known early ultralight and ultimately died an untimely death.

Now the penny has dropped.

The Lowe Marlburian from after WW1, no wonder that I can't find it when searching only until 1919.

Well done, Robert. Better that the penny makes a delayed drop, rather than not dropping at all!

It is Thomas Harold Lowe's 1922 Marlburian (and if anyone can identify its connection, if any, with those whose alma mater is Marborough College, I'll be most grateful for that - I've tried, for a long time, to make one, but always I have failed) before he went on to become the better known Charles Herbert Lowe-Wylde, whose Planette was to evolve into the BAC Drone.

Laβ uns wieder nach Deutschland gehen!

Danke sehr, Mike!

Floater time again, one for lefty (or anybody else )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-290.jpg  

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    No, what I installed yesterday wasn't chain link fencing, Keith. Dan seems closer to the mark. I've googled it and the nearest I can get is stock wire fencing or agricultural wire mesh. Designed to keep my sheep in their field rather than grazing the more verdant grass of the roadside verge!
    Mike, Looking on Bricomarche website grillage covers the spectrum of galvanised chicken wire fencing, square aperture type wire fencing plastic covered (grillage soude), sheep fencing ( i.e. that type that has graduated size opening vertically, normally just galvanised which we (UK) would call stock fencing ) & plastic covered Chain link (grillage simple torsion). Rigid panels seem to be panneau.
    Keith

As far as I could find out this is the only flying boat of the manufacturer.
    The company is probably best known for a two-seater biplane which was built in large numbers and a handful of big bombers.

The flying boat is from 1913 and the two-seater from my earlier post first flew in 1916.
    A development of this two-seater flew a world altitude record in 1919 and by doing so it probably produced the first contrails ever.
    However, this record was never recognized officially.

There is little information about this flying boat in the www, however there are two (!) pictures of it at airwar.ru.

Engine was a Mercedes.

Hmmm, found that thanks to your clues - quite an obscurity ! Totally under my radar and I suspect most others.

And, Mike, would you mind to share your finding with the rest of us?

Ah, I suspect that it's the Laphroaig again!

Ok, time to solve the mystery.

It is the DFW Flugboot (= Flying Boat) from

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/flyboat/dfwfb.html

When I posted this mystery I was aware that this could be a tough nut, however it was my intention to give good and frequent clues that this mystery could be solved. It seems that my clues weren't good enough, though I think that the DFW wasn't more obscure than several other types that have been solved here.

Open house, please.

Robert, your clues were fine - just didn't know where to start and spent a lot of time looking for something French ! The altitude 'record' didn't help either unless you knew the story of that one, so the Russian site gave it away finally. But I was a bit preoccupied yesterday..

And, Mike, not with a hangover - Laphroaig is most definitely not for me, although I know a lot of Americans love it. A good Speyside malt any time.

Grillage sounds like a good method of cooking that wonderful lamb of yours - when are the first due ???

Here's an oddball which I think iis a newbie here. A one-off but made by a serious company.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails notanse5.jpg  

Boulton Paul P6 in its Flying Advert guise .....

Well that didn't last long. Jim on the ball...

Thanks ! I got a picture of this one actually flying ......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yokosuka-r2y1-keiun-takeoff.jpg  

That reminds me of the Messerschmitt 309
    _
    gX

Yokosho R2Y1 Keiun

I honestly didn't see till after I posted. You left the designation on the pix.

Chris

That's it - over to you !

Just know the name of the low wing aircraft.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTJan10.jpg  

Cambilargiu - Folz CF-1 from

Bounce it right back at you.

I had it as Costruzioni Aeronautihe Italiane CF-1

Chris