The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 17
Page 17 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 79101112131415161718192021222324252767117517 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Lefty must have planted himself at the pub after the curling match so here is the next one-

Glad you found the Ball-Bartoe - hope you agree it was a good find !

Moses, naturally, gets another

His floatplane has the body of a North American O-47. So far, can't find a conversion - a few N.A. models were sent to Sweden so maybe they mucked about with it..............

After a bit of digging, found out that the EDO company did experiment with floats on an O-47. There was also a version on skis.

More than that has to come from Moses.

Nope, this was just a garden variety O-47A fitted with floats as mentioned.

"During the winter of 1937 and 1938, skis were experimentally fitted to an O-47. The Edo Float company also conducted tests with a twin-float installation on an O-47. Both configurations flew, but neither was considered successful."

That's it. No tricks, subversions or anything license built in Armenia. I just like the 'ol O-47.

Lefty has the con-

PS- Rgr the Jetwing. Good find.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    (If it works then HWS can have a few :ernae: from the cantina in lieu of royalties!)
    Don't worry, just the royalties will do... :d

Did you see that programme the other day about a few guys who were all born the same day as Prince Charles, so now they're all 60 and just retiring after various lives of adventure? One of them had been quite successful, owned land, etc., but now he was practically a down-and-out. It seemed he'd invested all his hard-earned fortune in inventing & developing the rotary engine, went to patent it... only to find it had already been done! D'oh... :redf:
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Well, here's another down-and-out , somewhat stiff after the curling last night.

Off to Newcastle today - the 'upon-Tyne' variety -my favourite aviation bookshop is closing (hopefully temporarily) as the owner is retiring, so I can maybe pick up the odd bargain!

What can we dig up for your delectation now? How about this one ?
    As it comes under the light aircraft category, I can eliminate about 20000 possibilities by telling you it is not American.

(P.S. A certain Texan gentleman has warned me he has a bundle of stinkers lined up. Prepare yourselves for a Mexican/Bulgarian onslaught)

And there I was reduced to guessing if the scenery below was Paris or Rome. White flag goes up in Texas. Maybe the European allies will have one last gasp at it by morning...

I think I will save further pain - this one is a bit obscure. The scenery (definitely Paris - Arc de Triomphe, and the building at bottom right sits opposite the Tour Eiffel)) would have been a red herring. This is an Italian girl - the Pasotti F.6 Airone from 1957-ish.

Here's another mystery jet. This is a full prototype, not a mock-up, but some debate about whether it got airborne.

Can't speak for the others but not having much luck with this one either...

Bit of a real mystery, this one. It is the Baldwin ASP-XJ surveillance and patrol aircraft (!) displayed at the Air/Space America airshow in San Diego in 1988. Prototype was said to be awaiting instrumentation.

This should be a bit more accessible.

Well it MIGHT be a Piaggio P.150..????

Or is my answer :bs: ?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

I'm looking out the air freshener as we speak, Ralf ! (What a delightful new smilie that is!)

Ha! Still might be Italian.

having PC probs here, 'An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application...' :bs::bs::bs:

So that's my Sunday afternoon's entertainment sorted
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I think this was posted here before, but can't remember what it is..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Ralf's having an Italian fixation - must have been watching some old Lollobrigida movies - but sadly it is not from La Bella Italia.

It was tried out both by the naval and regular air forces of its country of origin.

Well, it's probably American from general appearance.

Sorry, still busy installing my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke system (early Christmas present to self :d), but might do a bit more work on your trainer later...
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Yes, it's an American would-be trainer. The flight yoke sounds fun - I found Saitek stuff normally installs itself fairly easily - never used the more complex controllers, as I am a stubborn lefty, and even Saitek doesn't always cater for us ! Too old to learn new tricks like being right-handed now.

sandar
    Looks a bit like a cross between a tail dragger version of a Navion and a T28.

We are nearly back to what passes for normal now that the work on the house has been (almost) completed. I reassembled my PC last night and it sulked, refusing to recognise the monitor and keyboard:isadizzy::isadizzy: .
    I might have a bit of time to 'waste' and try and track down a mystery or two.

Just when you get smug about PC's and think you know it all, they stab you in the back ! I am currently having browser problems - Firefox has become slow,slow,slow, and crashes a lot. Forums tell me I am not alone.

Anyway, if you chaps don't get this shiny trainer soon, Moses is lurking........

It's very, very close to being some kind of T-28X, either by North American or Boeing? Difficult one; Moses is sorely missed!

Yoke & throttle quadrant are nice - I'm on the learning curve now. But they take up a lot of space & aren't as easily chucked out the way as the old wireless stick was. Planning a BOAC RTW in the near future ('early 1960s' actually); better than spending the winter with Brucie, Simon Cowell, Any & Dec in the living room all evening.
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

Actually, I think Moses is hanging back here - there's not much from the U.S. that escapes his clutches (although I've managed one or two recently :d )

If it hasn't been nabbed by the time he surfaces later today, I'm sure he'll tell you which major manufacturer produced it.

(Agrre with you about dire British telly just now - my pet hate is the unspeakable dance show which the BBC plug mercilessly !)

Truth be told, I don't have a clue what it is! Temco? Something from one of the GA manufacturers? Lefty gets the hat trick here it looks like.

Funny, he thought this one would be real easy. Goes to show how perception gets skewed sometimes with mystery planes.

Ah found it! Fairchild XNQ-1/T-31A.

Here is the page that led me to it:

http://www.airbum.com/pireps/PirepT-35Buckaroo.html

A little surprised. Yes, the Fairchild lost out to the dear old T-34 and disappeared without trace.

Then again, nobody remembers who came second to Jesse Owens. Or Carl Lewis, or Michael Phelps.......................

Enjoy your Kevin

With some trepidation, we await your next horror........................

Thanks for the brewski!

How about this biplane of size-