The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 899

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

That's it Robert. Didn't think it would last too long. Limited supply of quadruplanes with a 12' prop!

It had a 50hp Harriman engine. Wonder how much rpm that mustered?

Thanks, Kevin.
    Honestly it wasn't that easy, thought at first it could be the Chase-Gouverneur multiplane but the description (couldn't find a photo) didn't fit.
    And then I found mention of the Lund & Dwight with a variable pitch propeller (no photo as well) and gave it a try

Here we go with a folded floater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 518F505E-70FF-449F-BAAA-8AAF86C2EE04.jpg  

Swedish Hawker Hart or Osprey

Chris

It is the Osprey in Swedish service.

Over to you, Chris.

Unique biplane

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTFeb3.jpg  

Looks like the Sopwith Two-Seater Scout, Chris ?

I had it under CCV 13 but couldn't find where I found it that way again.
    So I believe you came close if not right on.

Over to you

Chris

I think it is the Sopwith, Chris, but I was confused by your comment about 'unique biplane' because there were 24 of them built ? And CCV 13 ? anybody ?

Anyway, we will bash on with something a little later and smaller - from a big manufacturer.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails teeeeny.jpg  

Not any kind of vibe at all other than assuming it's European.

It looks rather like a Starck AS.57 but with different tail feathers.

One of the most well-known manufacturers from pre WW1 until the 50's, when it suffered the fate of all aircraft manufacturers from that country and became an acronym.

There were three prototype versions of this machine, built as a club aircraft, (two tail-draggers and a trike.)

Mathis engine for this one....

With Mike's generous engine clue for us ham-fisted chaps, I believe this is the Morane-Saulnier 600?

Now if I'd just turned another seven pages in Pierre Gaillard's book, rather than going out to feed the sheep ..... !

Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    Now if I'd just turned another seven pages in Pierre Gaillard's book, rather than going out to feed the sheep ..... !
    But the sheep will love you forever, and the beverage here is only virtuel...

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Looks like the refreshment is heading for Texas Over to you Kevin.

Whilst researching this little machine, stumbled on a sad little story. It seems the last of this line, the MS.603, is rotting away in a small museum near Perpignan, apparently now closed to the public. It is in a place called Mas Palégry, and if you Google Earth it, all that can be seen now is a sad Fouga jet tucked away in the undergrowth. Methinks a rescue is needed !

Pomme Homme to the rescue!

Two different known companies/designers collaborated on this control surface experiment.

It seems the last of this line, the MS.603, is rotting away in a small museum near Perpignan, apparently now closed to the public. It is in a place called Mas Palégry, and if you Google Earth it, all that can be seen now is a sad Fouga jet tucked away in the undergrowth. Methinks a rescue is needed !
    After the death of the creator of the Mas Palégry museum, his son closed it and its contents were sold by auction in 2019. The MS.603 was lot Nº 50 (https://www.gazette-drouot.com/lots/10308272) but I don't know whether it was sold and, if so, where it is now. As to me saving it, even if I wasn't eighteen months too late, I would never have got it past my wife!

I think that Mike may have the mother of all hangovers in the morning!

Our mystery machine was tested circa 1926. One of the two designers was best known for a large twin boom racer.

The company that built the base airframe was only in business for about 7 years yet they produced a lot of different aircraft. Closed shop in 1932. Curtiss OX-5 powered.

Struggling here, Kevin. Not being able to search in Aerofiles is a bummer.

Company that fits your description - Huff-Daland ?

Only twin-boom racer I can think of is the ill-fated Bryant Dole machine, but any search for Leland Bryant revals only an architect !

I thought about the Vance Viking but also without any result...

This is the Alexander/Vance Eaglerock A-2.

Robert gets partial credit. Might as well take the baton.

Thanks, Kevin. Actually I did check the Eaglerock but couldn't find a picture with those additional flaps.

This one has appeared here before but the picture has vanished into Nirvana.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E5397158-1729-4B87-B507-3D9AE9ED156E.jpeg  

Converted BT-13 McKissic Viceroy