The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 795

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

East coast USA. Had a 75hp Roberts engine.

This is the Nelson Number Five, flown in early 1913. Nels Nelson the designer eventually crashed it after dipping a wing tip in the river. He had a successful run as an exhibition pilot.

Open board then!

Sitting on our balcony overlooking Funchal harbour, what I would give to see an Aquila Airways Solent landing !

The only form of aerial activity is the odd chopper heading for the pad on the newest monster, the Savoy Hotel.

We popped in for a nosey the other day, and Sheona asked if she could see the pool. 'Which one ? We have 21 pools......'.Aah. said she, but most hotel pools are too small .'. Our longest, madam is 98 metres....'

We shall not be staying there next year.😃

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Sitting on our balcony overlooking Funchal harbour, what I would give to see an Aquila Airways Solent landing !

The only form of aerial activity is the odd chopper heading for the pad on the newest monster, the Savoy Hotel.

We popped in for a nosey the other day, and Sheona asked if she could see the pool. 'Which one ? We have 21 pools......'.Aah. said she, but most hotel pools are too small .'. Our longest, madam is 98 metres....'

We shall not be staying there next year.
    ...and I'm sure you are doing the right thing! BTW don't forget to taste the cod (Bacalao)…
    Enjoy!
    Cheers
    Carlo

98 metres, eh. You might just put a microlight floater down in that pool (assuming that it's not indoors). But not, sadly, a Aquila Solent!

Please forgive my appalling grammar. I should have written an Aquila Solent.

Rather than allowing the lacuna to persist, may I invite you to try this. I think it safe to say that the idea didn't really catch on!

(and yes, I'm aware that it's appeared here before but that was a long time ago).

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    She still is the SIPA-Gérard AG-01 Aile Flotante (F-WFSM) alias NC-853G by André Gérard and built by SIPA
    Hopefully someone can direct me to reliable info on her history.
    One version is that she originally was a NC-853S (80hp Minié 4DC-30 engine), then NC-854S (65hp Continental A65), then NC-858S (90hp Continental C90-12F) before becoming the AG-01. So what is the engine?

That's entirely correct and demonstrates that, Walter, you know more about the aeroplane than I do! Thus I'm sorry that I cannot assist with an identification of the engine it had as F-WFSM (well, not, perhaps, until the birthday present about which I'm not supposed to know is delivered!). We await your next challenge.

p.s. I keep writing île flottante - which is a meringue and custard dessert - rather than aile flottante and so have to correct myself!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    This is a one-of with 2 registrations so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quiz afuaetc.jpg  

That photograph rings bells. My recollection is that it too has appeared here before. But having said that, if I'm right I still can't remember what it is!

well it’s a Morrison Liberty 181

OH, if correct, as I am away
    _
    gX

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    hi giruXX
    Correct . Started life as N181L and was exported to Canada in 2008 where she became C-FVFU

Open House please, as requested

Having returned, reluctantly, from sunny climes, I'll try to keep this going.

This one is very easy, but does not appear to have graced this forum before -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rttttttbb.jpg  

Maybe the Thomas-Morse MB-7, Mike?

The photos I found show a few differences

Well, Robert, I have it as the TM22 (or R-5), built for the 1922 Pulitzer race.

The MB-7 was built, I think, for the 1921 race, and was a much chubbier machine, but with similar wing.

Doubtless Kevin will put us right on this matter ! (Aerofiles seems to be totally confused )

Maybe I should stick to French machines - in the meantime, have a beer on me.....

Thanks, Mike!

Now, this mystery might be a bit tricky though its origin seems obvious. Should you guys need some clues, please ask and your questions will be answered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-188.jpg  

It's the He46a, Robert, before they ditched the lower wing...

I'm impressed, Mike!
    I hadn't believed that this mystery would be solved so fast since most pages in the www about the Heinkel He 46 don't show the biplane prototype(s).

Did you know the He 46a already?

Anyway, enjoy your cerveja

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Doubtless Kevin will put us right on this matter ! (Aerofiles seems to be totally confused )
    Well, the one book I have that covers some of the TM lineage does not seem to add anything helpful here.

OK thanks anyway, Kevin. Robert, as soon as I saw your pic I said 'Heinkel' ! St John Turner's book didn't help much, so it was over to vol2 of Nowarra's Die Deutsche Luftrüstung 1933-45. I suspect that's where you got the photo ?

Here's a chopper. This one can do 500 kilos of cabbages in 30 seconds.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hopperchopper.jpg  

I see, Mike, didn't know that the He 46a was included in Nowarra's book, a look might have helped.

"My" photo is from a short-lived magazine from the 1970ies called "Luftfahrt-Geschichte" which ended up after 5 or 6 issues I think. Each issue described a few German types in detail and there are several more photos of the He 46 prototype included, also from the second prototype He 46b which differs slightly from the "a" but was still a biplane.

Anyone interested in more photos of the He 46 prototype?

Mike's peculiar helo is the Pescara 3, easily identified by first known inflight beer keg which doubled as ballast...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVmB2cAqGi4

@Robert- more photos, yes!

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabulousfour View Post
    I see, Mike, didn't know that the He 46a was included in Nowarra's book, a look might have helped.

"My" photo is from a short-lived magazine from the 1970ies called "Luftfahrt-Geschichte" which ended up after 5 or 6 issues I think. Each issue described a few German types in detail and there are several more photos of the He 46 prototype included, also from the second prototype He 46b which differs slightly from the "a" but was still a biplane.

Anyone interested in more photos of the He 46 prototype?
    A question please Robert:
    was the b(V2) prototype still with Bristol Jupiter engine or was there already a SAM22b(Bramo 322B) fitted? and yes a few more pics would be appropriate…
    Cheers
    Carlo

Ok, guys, here we go.
    Carlo, according to the article both prototypes hat a Siemens Jupiter engine.

This is a frontal view of the He 46a and the first He 46b with a different rudder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heinkel He 46a-2, Luftfahrt-Geschichte 3-1974, S 3.jpg   Heinkel He 46b, Luftfahrt-Geschichte 3-1974, S 5.jpg