The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 529

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Up until recently, there was only one photo of this curious twin (as far as I know).

Here is a second photo I found the other day.

Odd! It looks to have the engines and retractable undercarriage of the Hanriot 232 and the tail empennage of the Hanriot 230. Which might suggest that it was something between the two - but I can't find any evidence that there was such a 'missing link'. And to confound that theory, it seems to be carrying Dutch military roundels. Whatever it is, the designer appears to have applied the principle of wing warping to its fuselage!

LeO48

The last aircraft to carry the LeO designation was the LeO 48. This represented a considerable departure for the firm as it was an aerodynamic testbed designed by engineer Pierre Mercier and flown by company test pilot Jacques Lecarme. In early 1937 work was started on a diminutive twin engine aircraft which would become the LeO 48. It was intended to study a new two-seat fighter design (the LeO 49) which had an unusual layout. Construction was begun by the firm at Argenteuil, but final assembly was at the SNCASE palnt at Marignane.The aircraft’s first flight was from Istres on November 21, 1941. Although the test was limited by a malfunction invloving one of the Boysson pumps, the flight did confirm that the wing flaps did work successfully on takeoff and landing. The Italian authorities delayed further test flights until February 4, 1942. On this second flight the aircraft’s landing gear was retracted and Lecarme flew the aircraft to the airfield at Marignane. The next day the aircraft was flown again, but suffered an accident on landing. There were were plans to repair the aircraft and these repairs were 80% complete when the Germans occupied Vichy France thus brining an end to all further aircraft development in France.

Apparently the primary function of this design was as a test-bed for 'anti-rafales' measures (side-wind gust protection?) and different methods were proposed, including one with substantial vertical surfaces.

The destruction of the prototype on its third flight ended this project...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LeO48.jpg  

It is the 48! Over to Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    Odd! It looks to have the engines and retractable undercarriage of the Hanriot 232 and the tail empennage of the Hanriot 230. Which might suggest that it was something between the two - but I can't find any evidence that there was such a 'missing link'. And to confound that theory, it seems to be carrying Dutch military roundels. Whatever it is, the designer appears to have applied the principle of wing warping to its fuselage!
    Whatever it is, it certainly looks French!

a Whirlybird

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTAug4.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Chris
    Looks like the Del Mar DH-2A (the one with the small turbine engine)?.

That's it a quick one. Over to you.

Chris

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the grainy picture. She is not European.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quiz soh.jpg  

Kevin...just sent you a PM.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    A smaller picture in colour. Not American.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails in colour.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Designed to meet JAR/VLA standards. Rotax 912 engine and first flown 12/1990. Prototype only

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Does (nick)name Ozzie Mozzie ring a bell?

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Does (nick)name Ozzie Mozzie ring a bell?
    Well according to your last clue it must be australian Buchanan BAC204....no merit of mine of course the solution was already within the last clue...
    Cheers
    BG

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi BG
    The BAC204 it is. Still searching for a clearer picture of this "obscure" one-of-a-kind.
    Surprise us!!

Whilst admitting that this is way outside my sphere of interest, I should be obliged if someone could tell me what the **** JAR/VLA means ???

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike
    JAR/VLA stands for Joint Aviation Requirements - Very Light Aerplanes. I am no expert on this subject, but I think this initially was a US/European agreement for certain certification standards for light aircraft and later accepted by many more countries worldwide.

Thanks Walter. We live in a world of acronyms.......and bureaucracy !

Blog Entries
    Thanks Walter!
    Let me go ahead with this golden age mystery....and sorry for the delay....
    Cheers
    BG

Worked up a good sweat on this one. No it's not a Buhl, Ryan, Travel Air or Stinson or even an Overcashier...argh. I believe it is a Curtiss-Robertson (C1?) Robin, with the OX-5 engine.

So many nuances and variables with the Curtiss line around this time so it is hard to pin down.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/curtiss-wright-c1-robin/#.V6f5sTUrwTI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Worked up a good sweat on this one. No it's not a Buhl, Ryan, Travel Air or Stinson or even an Overcashier...argh. I believe it is a Curtiss-Robertson (C1?) Robin, with the OX-5 engine.

So many nuances and variables with the Curtiss line around this time so it is hard to pin down.

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/curtiss-wright-c1-robin/#.V6f5sTUrwTI

Absolutely right Moses she's a Curtiss-Robertson Robin with OX-5...have a good pint of cider (sorry I can't drink it as it gives me heartburns!)
    Cheers
    BG

Thanks BG.

This wee one was built on the cheap (less than $200) at the time. I left the "N" on the tail but it is not at Aerofiles...

Sorry, not the Corben.

Members who have read this thread: 85