The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.
Page 1 of 54 1234567891151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Hybrid View

The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

So who posted the last one before the crash..?

Edit:

If you are new to the mystery game here is a quick set of guidelines.

-You must correctly guess before posting a new one. (Usually you wait for the previous poster to verify the answer). If you are confident on your answer, you can post a new picture without waiting but risk hearing it from the forum regulars if wrong!

-You are allowed to remove nationality and registration numbers (to prevent easy googling of answers). You cannot add bogus markings to throw off the hunt.

-No gliders unless very unusual or of historical significance.

-Please refrain from using Google image search. This is a cheap way of identifying photos and frowned upon.

Have fun! This is not a serious match although we do take pride in being able to spot an obscure aircraft.

I think that is it. Also, don't forget to give the person who guessed your plane a beer on Henry's tab.

Good luck spotters-
    Moses

PS: Our first thread was 6 months along and had over 15,000 views with nearly 1200 posts!
    Last edited by Moses03; March 20th, 2015 at 04:33. Reason: Updated guidelines
    Intel i7-7770K Kaby Lake @4.2Ghz, Cooler Master 212 Evo, 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM, Asus ROG Strix Z270H motherboard, Asus RTX 2070 Turbo 8Gb, Cooler Master 700 Watt PSU, Windows 10 64-bit.

Well, our record thread just went down the plumbing !

We'll just have to start all over again - I don't think there were any answers to my last post, which was an ID for these triplets.

Hoping we can recover the lost threads. If so, I will merge this one back into the original one.

I was just getting ready to troll through our nice big thread and extract every plane into a master list by Country/Manufacturer/Model/Year etc for future reference.

Now I was just waiting for some brave and selfless soul to think of that - what a splendid idea !

Buy it on Amazon - 'Uncle Moses' Big Book of Balkan Bogeys.' Oh yes. :costumes:

Is there anyone else out there ?? I feel lonely !

Hurricane
    I'm here, just about sobered up from last night, but still no idea what they are!:ernae:

OK.. I'm back ( albeit infrequently with any knowledge).
    Moses, lefty, I'll try to help out after I land in Mexico in 49 days -Mazatlan, not 'Pulco tho' - IF I can find the library and IF my Spanish is up to it and IF they have any aviation or historical texts AND IF I don't find the Pacifico brewery first! Regardless, I'll think of you in the cold

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

hewman100
    Is it another licence-built machine based on a British design Moses? There's look of the Vickers Vincent/Vildebeest about her.
    The twin VGO machine guns may seem to indicate this too????:isadizzy:

If I were home I'd be able to find the lower pic since I have it, but....

while searching I found this -- for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKJQtnUulDo

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Great stuff, Rob - there's some fascinating material on YouTube - heaven knows where they get it all - this one's a killer too...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1MSHglGP4

Maddening new bug after the crash means you can't go directly to the last post in a thread - if this one runs as long as its predecessor, that's going to be a royal PITA !

Rob- Are you home yet? We need some assistance on this blasted doppleganger!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    We need some assistance on this blasted doppleganger!
    No, it's not German either.

Is this something very obscure like the Hoenningstad Finnmark from ?
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander

on the button, Ralf ! (Although now I've found out how to do accents, I'd prefer to call it a Hønningstad.)

And I was wrong about the versions - photo 2 shows the original, amphibian with the sponsons. They were later removed, wing floats added and the sole example ended up as a flying boat.

Lionus
    Dare I guess that it's Fairchild F-91?

hewman100
    Pretty good guess by my reckoning Lionus

Lionus
    I think I'll wait for affirmation before posting a plane.. it's hopefully a challenging one.

Well, after the Finnmark, we now have a Finn who's on the mark ! :costumes: (sorry about that one)

Yes it's a Fairchild 91, Captured by the Nationalists from a ship in the Bay of Biscay and serving with them throughout the Spanish Civil War.

Over to chillier climes for the next mystery, and welcome, Lionus !

Lionus
    Thank you! and let's give this one a try..

they both are same plane as you can tell, but what plane is it? :d

Welcome, Lionus !

Your mystery looks like a Dunne (D8 ?)

Lionus
    it indeed is Burgess-Dunne from 1914. That didn't last too long, only.. 23 minutes.:redf: I'll get more challenging one next time, your turn.

Ah, the US licenced version - I could not have been so specific.

Mysteries are quite surprising. We were discussing it the other day whith Moses03: those you expect to last for days fall within minutes, those you think easy turn out to be stinkers... Go figure.

Next one, then. Probably an easy one:

I think that's a Bleriot III-3

That looks like the one Lefty.

See Lionus ? That was an easy one :d

over to Lefty (maybe a glass of Laphroaig would do better at that time of day but there's no icon for it )