The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 792

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Mike, nobody else seems to be biting the balloon, so I'll venture that this is the Bournemouth, the result of Lord Ventry's obsession. What the bus is for, I know not.

Indeed it is. £25 worth of secondhand barrage balloon and an old Salmson radial and, hey presto, you've got G-AMJH (an interesting article cconcerning which you'll find at https://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2016/07...e-bournemouth/). I'll forgive you not being a bus gricer, Mike. At least you didn't assume the bus to be its gondola! Over to the lowlands.

Thanks Mike. I confess, it was a Google of 'motorised barrage balloon' which revealed the answer !

Unfortunately I'm heading off tomorrow morning to my favourite sunny isle for a couple of weeks, and there is a heavy workload today, so it'll have to be Open House again, please.

Keep your fingers crossed, gentlemen, for my Funchal landing ! (tried landing the Airbus there yesterday - I hope the Jet2 pilot does rather better.......)

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Thanks Mike. I confess, it was a Google of 'motorised barrage balloon' which revealed the answer !

Unfortunately I'm heading off tomorrow morning to my favourite sunny isle for a couple of weeks, and there is a heavy workload today, so it'll have to be Open House again, please.

Keep your fingers crossed, gentlemen, for my Funchal landing ! (tried landing the Airbus there yesterday - I hope the Jet2 pilot does rather better.......)
    Have a safe flight Mike and happy Landing! I'm sure your Funchal touch down can't be worse than my Landing in Wellington with a cross wind…..
    Cheers
    Carlo

another speedy design
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y4y4y4.jpg  
    _
    gX

Gentlemen. From a very experienced 727 driver. In a cross wind situation you want a heavy landing. To plant the aircraft and not drift. We just had a NASCAR driver lose his aircraft Cessna Latitude becasuse they bounced a couple of time and said they tried to go around but ended up burning the aircraft out off the end of the runway. No life loss.

Chris

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    hi giruXX
    One of the many designs of Romanian Radu Manicatide. This is the IAR-821 model (Ichenko AI-14 radial engine) built by ICRMA (Intreprinderea de Constructii si Reparatii Materiale Aeronautice) which was later renamed as IRMA (Intreprinderea de Reparatii Materiale Aeronautice). Later versions (IAR-822, IAR-826) had a Lycoming O-540.

Thanks wout for the additions!
    _
    gX

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cthornburg View Post
    Gentlemen. From a very experienced 727 driver. In a cross wind situation you want a heavy landing. To plant the aircraft and not drift. We just had a NASCAR driver lose his aircraft Cessna Latitude becasuse they bounced a couple of time and said they tried to go around but ended up burning the aircraft out off the end of the runway. No life loss.

Chris
    Yes Chris that's exacrly what our pilot did diving down at full throttle with my tummy reaching my throat!
    Cheers
    Carlo

PS another similar experience I had in St.Petersburg (I was going to write Leningrad) with Aeroflot

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    This one is relatively new (first fight was made couple of days ago!), although she has been under development for quite some years. Intended as motorglider and
    glider tug. The organisation behind the project is/was also responsible for other powered aircraft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quiz nkotbfg.jpg  

Hallo Wout how did you get this?

I've been there (but didn't meet you)
    _
    gX

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    hi giruXX
    We must have missed each other.
    Got the pic from the site of the organisation that developed/built/flew this bird of prey

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    This is D-KTOW, the Akaflieg Stutgart fs35 Harpyie. (fs35 for Fachgruppe Stuttgart 35). Main object was to have a glider tug with a high climb rate that also could descent fast.
    First flight was 13 August 2019 and engine is a 155hp Continental CD-155 diesel.
    Here is a better pic.

Unless I am wrong, I think giruXX knew the answer, so please go head with the next challenge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D-KTOW.jpg  

The Fs-35 pictures are from the rollout:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9618.jpg  
    _
    gX

Uli, were you involved in the construction of the FS35?

Not directly, but some of my students.

On with an elder floater:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y5y5y5.jpg  
    _
    gX

indeed, that's the bird
    _
    gX

should be easy.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTAug27.jpg  

Dixon Roadable Helo of 1936.

That's it looking forward to next mystery

Chris

Thanks. How did Mr. Dixon's hat not fly off?

Up next-

Icon23

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    How did Mr. Dixon's hat not fly off?
    It was, I understand, a combination of the downdraft being greater than the forward airspeed and Mr Dixon stretching his neck upward to jam his hat against the overhead structural member.

Mike has been out in the vineyard again today...

The mystery is from a small but known company. They built a variety of biplanes and monoplanes from the early 1920's to the early 1930's.

This particular one was unsuccessful.