The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 373

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    This is the Creative Flight/MPA Aerocat TR from Canada.

Moses: Googling for "composite float plane twin engine" gave me a photo of the single-engined version, which led me to this twin...

Here's a big, grainy aircraft with an interesting powerplant:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81632.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	6686
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Good on you Ferry, as I never came close!

The big grainy beast is more in my wheelhouse. The Breguet BR.XX of 1922.

Well done Ferry, well done Moses ! I wouldn't like to have been in the front seat row of that noisy monster !

Funny, those almost look like contra-rotating props, although it's probably just a lash-up.

Got me researching, though, and contra props weren't first used for another 10 years - by a couple of Texans...

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post

The big grainy beast is more in my wheelhouse. The Breguet BR.XX of 1922.
    For the Leviathan!

One of the aircraft also featured in the 'Bugatti 100P' book as the engine is the BR.20 was the ultimate version of Bugatti's famous straight-eight road car engine. The inline-eight was already a combination of two four cylinders, but for his aircraft engines Ettore combined his car engines to a U-16 (Two parallel eights, also built in America as a powerplant for the LUSAC-21, but the Liberty engine was lighter and more reliable.) a double U-16 (Two U-16 in a row, with the front engine higher than the back engine) and finally the H-32 that was used in the Breguet. Each row of eight cylinders could be declutched in case of a failure, leaving the engine running on the remaining 24. It never became a success though. Target Ad is one of the most popular Black Friday sales.
    Some of Bugatti's aircraft engines have survived, this is a photo of the H-32:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BreguetLeviathan-BugattiH32.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	6756
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Interesting engineering there.

Here is a Moses special...

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries

Smile

Hi Kevin !
    Have this one in my shoebox (#13c, miscellaneous, further research required) as the Sebring Flying Wing by Robert M. Sebring.
    Understand it was completed around 1949 and underwent some limited testing. Engine was a 12hp Richter drone engine and Richter late came part of the Nelson engine company. Reportedly Mr. Sebring already used some composite material parts/components.

Spot on Walter. Aerofiles calls it the "Wee Wing".

A period newspaper article mentions the use of plastic in construction.

What else is in your shoebox?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kevin !
    Shoeboxes all contain files for which a lot of research is (still) required. Guess it will keep me from the street for the next 50 years or so.

Please try this one. Not photoshopped as I understand it was initially testflown without visible registration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r-w-a-s-t.jpeg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    imagine the aircraft with a flat six-cilinder engine
    or
    with a conventional tail and longer canopy.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Of 20 built, 19 were 250s. This poor one was a 175 and the 285 and 300 remained projects

Finally, dragged, kicking and screaming, into the Southern Hemisphere. This is the Yeoman K.S.3/Wackett/Cropmaster/175 whatever ?

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mike!
    Splendid research or was it luck?
    Sorry I gave you such hard times. I think the whatever? is called the Yeoman 175 by its builder.
    For those interested in a detailed history/lots of nice photos on the YA-1, please see
    hxxp://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/ya1-cropmaster/yeoman-ya1.htm

Your turn, Sir

Well I wasted a lot of time trawling through US machinery till I started to look further afield, and the Lycoming version was in one of those old encyclopedias.....

This grainy old horror wasn't there, though -

SOH-CM-2023
    Back to the YA-1 photo....I was wondering what the twin fin job was in the background, the other one with the canopy covered over looked like a Zlin! It doesn't look like the latest twin fin job though!
    Keith

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Back to the YA-1 photo....I was wondering what the twin fin job was in the background, the other one with the canopy covered over looked like a Zlin! It doesn't look like the latest twin fin job though!
    Keith
    Good afternoon gentlemen,
    This is a Laville (french engineer but russian production) DI-4 of 1932 if I'm not mistaken...
    Cheers
    BG

Sorry Devone I was referring to Lefty's grainy horror!

BG swooped with the correct answer - Laville it is ! Try a Guinness.....

Keith, I was curious about that twin-tail job too - how about one of these ? There were certainly some registered in Oz.

SOH-CM-2023
    They certainly look as being very good contenders Mike, & the tip tanks could explain the protrusion outside of the stbd fin/rudder. They also look familiar, but I can't put a name to them - Czechoslovakian?
    Keith

[edit] Looked up the registration - I was right, its a CZL (LET) L200a Morava - I knew it was familiar!!! K

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    BG swooped with the correct answer - Laville it is ! Try a Guinness.....
    Hello everybody!
    I seldom submit old floaters but now...here goes one!
    Cheers
    BG

Better jump in before Lefty comes sniffing around! This is the Halbronn H.T.1 of 1918.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Better jump in before Lefty comes sniffing around! This is the Halbronn H.T.1 of 1918.
    Yes Moses that's quite right though I have it as Labourdette-Halbron (or Halbronn) HT-1...
    Your turn please
    Cheers
    BG

This one took to the skies about a year before WWII ended. It was a rework of a very common civil tourer.

Hey all, I would normally string this along a bit further but I'm in the middle of setting up a new pc (argh!). Will be out of pocket some the next couple of days. Open board please.

<center>Ludington-Griswold

</center><small>(C Townsend) Ludington-(Roger) Griswold Aircraft Co, CT.</small>1944 = 2pChwM; 125hp Menasco C-4. Fairchild 22 with experimental wing comprised of a series of flaps, and with wingtip fins. Complicated arrangement proved to be unrewarding, and the plane was sold [NX14768].

Ahhh, that explains why I couldn't find it in a search - '2pChwM'. Doesn't look very 'C' to me !

Anyway, good luck with the new rig. Changing one's computer is a bit like moving house - after days of toil and angst, you swear you are never going to do that again.

Never mind, when this new one finally expires, its replacement will probably be something you wear on your wrist.........