The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 590

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

The two-seat version of the Sellet-Pelletier Grillon 120, me thinks.
    _
    gX

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    That is her. I donot know whether the name Grillon 135 is official.
    giroXX, please do me a favour and send a list of the aircraft you donot know.

Your turn, Sir!

I am 100% sure that such a list would be endless, i.e., you must wait forever.

It is better to know where to search and to improve one’s search techniques.

My next one is an interesting aircraft. Which specific one is it? (i.e. not just manufacturer and type, but manufacturer and sub-type would be OK)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i3i3i3.jpg  
    _
    gX

Here is a second view in case you need it (which I didn't expect)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i3i3i3a.jpg  
    _
    gX

There is a Napier Lion engine under the hood.
    _
    gX

Have no idea what this is other than it is from Europe. Guess we need several more clues.

Anyone else?

I thought the community might have split in two parts. One who thinks that the last plane is too easy (and nobody of this group wants to get blamed for taking the cherry from the cake), and one who needs more hints.

The basic type was built more than 100 times. However, if you google for pictures with the type's name most of these show this very specific variant. It became famous with an extraordinary flight and it differs from its sisters by the engine and, most prominently, the coolers. This is why I thought it would be better to ask for this special variant.
    _
    gX

The Napier Lion was quite prolifically used. Maybe your clue would be more effective if you were to say which variant this aeroplane employed. Just take a look at Lumsden's tome. The list is as long as my arm!

Yes, gX, just remember, mysteries are always easy when you know the answer ! I've been up a few blind alleys with this one already.......

Ok, Ok. At the end you will agree

Famous designer who became leader of his own design bureau for many, many years. Several of his designs are still in service.

(The hint with the enigne was meant to define this specific airplane) I still think that it should be possible/easy to identify an aircraft that came out of series production. Compared to what you have shown or identified here before, this is ridiculous.
    Based on the right book it would take 5 minutes. Based on a data file, say 30 or 45.
    _
    gX

some (elder than mine) sources say that the engine was a Liberty

Sorry, if this caused you headaches!!

The registration starts with RR-
    _
    gX

Finally, a clue that has given it away ! (talk about Red herrings......) It's the Tupolev ANT-3 R-3/M-5 - depends on which book you are consulting !

lefty!

What I know for sure is that it is RR-SOV flown by Gromov and Radzevich through Europe in a few days.

My first source named it Tupolev R-3 NL (for Napier Lion). This is why I thought the engine would be a good hint.
    Now I found sources claiming another engine.
    Last edited by giruXX; March 26th, 2017 at 08:02.
    _
    gX

Thanks gX

I'll pull myself indoors from our heatwave (!) -how pleasant to be able to sit in the garden with a small glass....

Here's one which will avoid too much confusion as to its power plant...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wag1.jpg  

Tadpole!

I have this contraption as the "Glider with Tadpole Wing" under development in Melbourne in 1945.
    That's not much in way of designation but it's all I have I'm afraid.

I think that it was known as the DHA-G2. A57-1 was used as a test bed for the suction wing trials. Apparently it wasn't very successful due to the amount of drag on the fuselage (yes, I know, I'll get my coat)!

Dan, that's a brave effort, but the refreshment has to go to PH for his, as ever, immaculate response.

Nice site about the Aussie gliders here - http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a57.htm

Over to darkest Gaul from sunny Caledonia !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lunch2.jpg  

Thank you, Mike. Gaul has been pleasantly warm and sunny today, with only the vestiges of the easterlies that have made lambing so difficult over the past week. But whilst I labour, that picture suggests that you've had a sybaritic day, enjoying both gourmet and gourmand pleasures, so I trust that you'll forgive me leaving the next challenge until tomorrow whilst I'm called to a dinner of roast pork and traditional vegetables - oh, and maybe a glass or two of Saumur Champigny.

Apologies for the delay. Here's something which is nothing if not distinctive!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi PH
    The 1963/1964 Flash (F-WLUC) by J.Despretz.
    Have seen her designated as J-13 Flash, Jidey Flash and even as JI-31. Understand she originally had a single main wheel, tail skid and small outrigger wheels.

I thought that this one might be up your street, Walter. You're more than 100% correct as you provided more information about the Jidey J-13 Flash than I had! Your turn, sir.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Thank you PH
    Back to the grainy pics. Amphibian for two and both are in the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aftabaotp.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Should be not too difficult for those with a long(er) memory.

Could it be the

Loening Duckling 1929 = 2pCmwMAm; 110hp Warner Scarab. POP: 1 [X913W]. First product of Loening's new company.

?
    _
    gX

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Sorry giruXX, not a Loening
    She is much younger.

Members who have read this thread: 90