The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 128

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi Lefty,
    I would have preferred that you had just said, Gaucher RG-75 correct and let me post a new one.
    Now you challenge me in explaining why I call it the Gaucher RG-75 instead of SECAT S.5. I am not an aviation historian, but I will try. The designation RG... comes from Mr. Rémy Gaucher who got involved with the SECAT designs after WW2.
    Before WW2 SECAT brought out the S-4 Mouette (which I understand was a single-seater) and it may have been registered as F-W 134 in the prototype series (don`t ask me why). although I also saw this aircraft described as the S-6 Mouette no. 01.
    When the post-war F-P.... series started there was an S-4 registered F-PAAM and quoted as no. 002 and maybe this was in fact the 01 after rebuilt/restoration. F-PAAM is also reported as RG-60 (for Rémy Gaucher 60hp?)
    I understand that the S-5 (a two-seater) appeared AFTER the war and that in fact two were built. The first one was F-WCDS (F-BCDS) and is quoted as no. 01 and this aircraft is described as a SECAT S-5. It later went to the F-P... register as F-PIIC still as SECAT S.5. The second examples was F-WBBT and I have a picture (the same one you posted?) where it clearly says SECAT RG-75T on the tail. (Rémy Gaucher 75hp).
    To make things easy, there also is a Chatelain AC-4 of 1948 by Mr. Armand Chatelain which is reported as replica of the SECAT S-6 Mouette. The accompanying pictures in the article show one as F-W 134 (this would indicate it is the original) and on the second picture shows an aircraft without registration visible, so that maybe the true AC-4 which possibly never had an F-P... registration. I donot discount the possibility that the AC-4 was in fact a rebuilt of the S-6.
    Are you still with me?
    Of course all comments, remarks and/or insults from fellow forumers are welcome.

New one will follow to-morrow.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    A light airplane of a different kind

This is one of the three manned prototypes of the Raduga KS-1 Kometa. First flight, Jan 1951. Raduga was the missile develpment branch of MiG hence the scaled down looking MiG 15. Later unmanned cruise missile versions were launched from Tu-4s (in background) & Tu-16s and surface to air.

Feeling good about this one so moving along here as I will be away until late in the day tomorrow. A nice little floater-

Before tackling Moses' floater, let me just thank Wout for his erudite explanation - exactly what I wanted ! Literature on this period is scarce indeed, and the vagaries of French designations a constant source of bewilderment when relying solely on Janes, which I have long realised is not always as accurate as one might imagine. Lord knows where you get all this material - the Wout archives must be substantial indeed.

Eighteen years after building this flying boat, the company submitted two designs to the military. One of them a float plane...

This company is very well known. Just not for aircraft exactly...

Sorry, been a bit out of it this weekend with lots of rugby (Scotland won at last !) curling etc etc.

This would be the EDO Malolo, I think ?

That would be it Sir. Over to Scotland-

Thank you - what's this ?

Looks Rohrbachish and a bit Dorniery. Probably some Czech number. Bloimey!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Looks Rohrbachish and a bit Dorniery.
    I agree entirely. But it ain't German. Oh, by the way, it's a fighter...........

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    I agree entirely. But it ain't German. Oh, by the way, it's a fighter...........
    The Barfallonyew GAG-01 -developed as a low-cost "heavy" fighter lost it's only combat encounter to.... termites..

what's with all the windows in a 'fighter'? did they carry a platoon of infantry with Mausers?

(why DO they allow the inmates to have all these aviation reference books anyway?)

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Icon5

Lefty and Moses are coming up with some real beaut's lately.

Don't want to give this away yet - but it was produced by one of aviation's most famous names.

I like Rob's stab at it - but he was wrong about the termites - this is an all-metal craft !

And his infantry platoon used Lewis guns, not Mausers...........

I've run out of steam here. Anyone else?

My white flag has been wavin' since Lefty posted it...LOL

Well I didn't expect that one to last long at all. It's the Blériot Bl 137 from 1931.

Right - this is another floater - well, sort of.......

Frankenstein FR-1. (Looks like a hacked up Bellanca with a homemade Loening style belly pontoon and Curtiss Robin wings.)

You're not far off the mark here....but Dr F. didn't have any input. Made by a company with other aquatic flyers to follow....

That must be the Columbia CAL-1 Triad. Like the previous EDO, the firm didn't resurface again until WWII.

Spot on with the Triad, Kevin. I said DHC2pilot was getting warm - according to Wikipedia, one of the founders of Columbia was Giuseppe Mario Bellanca.....

One more from the flying boat bin. This time a floater of size!

It flew, and flew very well...

Hmm...gone quiet. Not even a peep from the floatmaster. Who is going to flinch first?

Time to reveal. Everyone has been scared off the last couple of days! The big boat is a Bastianelli PRB 1. From Italy circa 1920.

Here is an easy one to recover with-

Members who have read this thread: 78