The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 37
Page 37 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 2729303132333435363738394041424344454787137537 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Dank u wel, mijnheer

Ay maintenong, maydum zay maysiur, lur noovo meestayr (say poor ayday lay zonglay ar bee-eng pronongsay lur frongsay):

OK, my leetle cheekens, ah sink zis wan is , 'ow you say, a bebe Caudron ?

Per'aps ze 600 ? (Alzo ze leetle man wizout ze 'at, 'e look a leetle Chinois???).

It does indeed look like a Caudron 600, doesn't it ?
    But the fin isn't quite right, and it is not a Caudron...

That tail has a Kokusai look to it. Something Japanese maybe?

Not Japanese, Kevin. Nor Chinese, nor Thai... Not that part of the world.

sandar
    Chucking a spanner in the works, I am going to suggest that the caps look like RAF issue and that the guy looking over the wing is wearing a British style battle dress tunic. Furthermore, the taller chap in the background appears to be wearing an Irvin type flying jacket. So my conclusion is that it won't fly with a cropped propellor blade and that it is either British, Canadian or Australian.

Can't agree. Hats look French. Huge feet - Eastern Europe. Chinaman - it obviously runs on distilled soy sauce.

'Cropped prop' - optical illusion. It is rotating.

But is the fin/rudder really that shape or is the top painted a pale colour that doesn't show up in this lousy pic ?

I am losing the will to live with all these mimsy flivvers........(Forum rules, eh, Kevin?)

Okay, it definitely IS a stinker
    Maiden flight: 1st quarter 1944.

Lefty, I can assure you the fin is as squarish as it looks. There's NO photoshopping at all on the above pic - forum rules... - but there is some on the one below.

The tail looked German to me in the 2nd pic but other than that, I surrender! It was just a little too flivverish to get a bead on.

Elvis Banana:Banane08: "My baby left me..."

I'm surrendering to this one, and the outside world too. Cough, splutter, sneeze, shivers - I'm off to bed early. 'Night all.

Take good care of yourself, Lefty.

The caudron-ish mystery is a french "Rayack 43" - the whole story is here: http://militaria-reconstit.forumsact...k-43-t2234.htm

This one should be easy:

Just got back and catching up on weeks of missed frustration...errr... guessing...
    Couple of thouhgts about past challenges:
    The MD119/220 was indeed re-registered and recently - 2/28/2008 to Fuel Fresh Inc. of Phoenix AZ. The company seems to be a bulk Fuel delivery company but someone has deep pockets as they also own an ex-RCAF F-104D (N104). For other info see: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...707/mc_119.htm
    The Husky F-11 is/was CF-EIN and I have a feeling the photo posted was taken the same time as one in my collection, by a friend (what's the source of the pic?)
    http://www.bushplane.com/data/displa...alue=display07
    The challenge might have been more so if the pic had been one on wheels
    http://www.wcam.mb.ca/husky.html

anyway...:focus:

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Dammit, it's a COPY of the Caudron 600 !!! How devious can the sons of Gaul get ?

Not a copy, Lefty. They used the Caudron as a base, but the two planes differ - see fin and rudder.
    There have been similar stories on the unfair Albion side with "copies" of DH Moth

On second thought, if you think the "Rayack" was an unfair mystery, let's say your answer (Caudron 600) is right - up to you, really

No luck on the latest one either. Maybe something from Eastern Europe? Russia?

Wrong side of the Oder, Kevin

Hello (wheeze, cough, splutter) this is another wee nasty.

West of the Oder? Can't find it in my German books. Knowing who posted it, I can only conclude it is a (very poor) de Gaulle-sponsored copy of a GeeBee for the General's entertainment, although it is a tight cockpit for that nose....

The type is well documented - lots of results on the web alone.

Your guess re. country is right, Lefty. Famous manufacturer also.
    I'm really surprised this one is still up after a whole day

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Polikarpov I-180..?

It looks like a bigger version of their famous I-16 Rata.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

No, it is a Potez 53.

But if certain people would just admit I was right in the first place.........

Yes, Lefty, you were right indeed. Over to you

I apologise in advance for the boring nature of this one.

Sure looks like a Uncle Sam special. Hmm...

Members who have read this thread: 78