The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 493

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hello boys and girls!
    She has a vague likeness to the Twin Mooney (Mark 22?)....
    Cheers
    BG

But, BG, I think she's the Baumann Brigadier...

Over to Scotland on the crumpled Brigadier.

Said it crashed on Jan. 8, 1953. I assume repaired. Pixs of it in 1970 and reported went to a museum EAA I think.

Chris

Here's another twin whose pilot remembered (a) to land on a runway and (b) to lower the gear !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drr5566ttrr77.jpg  

An early SFERMA SF-60 Marquis? By which I mean, I suppose, the original SFERMA Turbo Travel Air.

Indeed, ph, it is number 01, F-WJHC, Turbo Travel Air.

Thank you, Lefty. The Astazous were the giveaways. I'll now try to find something interesting with which to reciprocate. In the meantime, a happy new year to all.

p.s. if anyone can suggest why, despite being subscribed to this thread by way of instant e-mail notification, I'm receiving no notifications whatsoever, I'll be much obliged to them.

Here's something which dates from a little earlier. A google search suggests that it hasn't hitherto featured here. But if that's wrong, well .....

Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post

p.s. if anyone can suggest why, despite being subscribed to this thread by way of instant e-mail notification, I'm receiving no notifications whatsoever, I'll be much obliged to them.
    The thread subscription notification has been broken since the crash. No timetable on a fix.

Thank you, Kevin. I am both obliged and informed. Working 'on manual' does keep one on one's toes.

Knowing PH's fondness for obscure pre-war French aeroplanes...

I had already 'flipped' the photo and found the print showing through to be in French ! Not that that has helped............

Yes, this one's French but not as obscure as you seem to think. Indeed you'll find pictures of it on the internet - although that which I've posted is the only one I've seen with the particular rudder illustrated.

I thought the rudder had a Farmanesque look to it but I don't think it is one.

No, not a Farman. Twenty four years later its designer engineered another very different aeroplane that's only recently flown for the first time.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    No, not a Farman. Twenty four years later its designer engineered another very different aeroplane that's only recently flown for the first time.
    That would be the Bugatti 100P, which was designed by Louis de Monge and that makes your photo the second version of the 1914 Live wing Airplane.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

A nice piece of reverse deduction, sir. It is Louis de Monge's 'live wing' (is it true that he braced it with knicker elastic?) monoplane of 1914. In every other photograph of it, that I have seen, it has a more traditional - for the period - rudder, which is a linear continuation of the fin (rendering the sum a triangle). Presumably the original gave insufficient directional control and thus the slab in the photograph was substituted for it?

According to the great book by Jaap Horst about the 100P the rudder was replaced during testing but no reason is given. Apparently it did fly very well, even when flying through a storm. No mention on the origin of the rubber bands though!

I see some '100P' in this next mystery:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bug.jpg  
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    According to the great book by Jaap Horst about the 100P the rudder was replaced during testing but no reason is given. Apparently it did fly very well, even when flying through a storm. No mention on the origin of the rubber bands though!

I see some '100P' in this next mystery:
    Hello boys and girls!
    This is the Heinkel He-119V1 with DB606A1 engine (1937-D)....
    Cheers
    BG

PS Sorry guys I didn't notice the Windows which makes her the V2!

The He-119V2 it is indeed: Over to Italy!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ferry vO!
    I hope this hasn't been posted yet (sorry for the grainy pick).....
    Cheers
    BG

BG's grainy geisha is a Kawasaki Type 88-1, methinks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    BG's grainy geisha is a Kawasaki Type 88-1, methinks.
    Right-ho Lefty that's what she's!Your turn and apologies for the delay....
    Cheers
    BG

Time for our first floater of the year -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wffffffg6g.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 90