The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 451

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

It's the Cooper-Travers Hawk....

The very same! The pilot sat in the middle and the passengers were to have sat in the holes cut into the Hawk's exceedingly thick wing roots. Fortunately no passengers occupied the holes at the time or the crash of the Hawk could have cost three, rather than one, lives. One view is that it was turbulence caused by these holes that caused the Hawk to dive in. Another is that the high lift wing caused the aircraft to stall in a turn, followed by the nose dropping. Yet a third is that Travers tried to use the aileron to compensate for a wing drop and that this led to an incipient spin. Whatever, the Hawk apparently crashed in flames and Travers was killed (one report says that this was caused by him leaping from the plummeting aeroplane before it hit the ground). Apparently the whole story is told in an article which appeared in the Aeroplane of July 2001 if anyone has that. Anyhow, as Dev One has not yet called to collect his glass of Clochard cider, you are most welcome to that, Lefty!

(glug)..very refreshing too, ph..........thank you ! (could you arrange for a small cask to be sent to my local ????)

Another boom-boomer for those wot like 'em - this one lurking in the mist -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails btbfm.jpg  

I think it's Wolfsberg, G, and I have it as the Corvus, but same machine. Over to you -

Thanks Lefty!

I only had one photo to work with so I went with that and the spelling...

Getting late here so I'll declare open house.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img403.jpg  

Here is one from a company that didn't design just a whole lot of biplanes.

Only one of these sleek looking biplanes was built in 1935-1936. It was still registered as of 1965!

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hello Moses!
    This is the Morane Saulnier MS350 of 1936....
    Cheers
    BG

Spot on GB! Maybe we could get Keith to model one for FS.

Take it away-

Blog Entries
    Thanks Moses finally I found it!
    And here comes my airliner Flying on 3 three cylinder engines!
    Cheers
    BG

Happiness is an aeroplane called ..... ! The same name might have been used for the Percival P.50 had it been produced under licence by SAI!

Oh and I assume that leaving 80% of the registration in the photograph was an unfortunate oversight?

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Spot on GB! Maybe we could get Keith to model one for FS.

Take it away-
    Its certainly a pretty looking kite, but there is probably no info on the cockpit interior or its flying characteristics, unfortunately!
    And is the photo reversed or is the 3 view wrong...look at the engine intake!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    ..... there is probably no info on the cockpit interior or its flying characteristics
    Apparently Michel Détroyat threw this aeroplane about the sky with some regularity in the late thirties. So it's possible that there may be some information about its handling qualities in his mémoires - Tu Seras Aviateur and Pilote d'Acrobatie - or in his bibliography - Michel Detroyat, Ecuyer du Ciel by Paul Magneron.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    Happiness is an aeroplane called ..... ! The same name might have been used for the Percival P.50 had it been produced under licence by SAI!

Oh and I assume that leaving 80% of the registration in the photograph was an unfortunate oversight?
    Oh my! my eyesight is going from bad to worse to such an extent that I didn't realize leaving behind the registration....therefore I'm sure you know by now that my mysterious Aircraft is a......?
    Cheers
    BG

Assuming that my oblique references to Hamlet (the Handley Page, rather than the cigar or the Prince of Denmark, variety) have resulted in the baton passing to me, I thinkest that the decent thing to do is to declare a state of open house - and hope that nothing is rotten in it!

Blog Entries
    Assuming that my oblique references to Hamlet (the Handley Page, rather than the cigar or the Prince of Denmark, variety) have resulted in the baton passing to me, I thinkest that the decent thing to do is to declare a state of open house - and hope that nothing is rotten in it!
    Hello Pomme-homme!
    that's definitely the one i.e. Handley Page HP32 "Hamlet".....who's picking up PH's baton?
    Cheers
    BG

..... I thinkest that .....
    Well, blow me down. On reviewing my earlier post I see that, unwittingly, I was writing archaic English. All that was missing was the 'yea verily' prefix to my statement!

You chaps are all getting very excitable - there was me researching Michel Detroyat flying the HP Hamlet, until I realised you had two simultaneous threads running!

At my age I'm easily confused, you know..........

Anyway, baton picked up - on the subject of trimotors..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bswaae.jpg  

I've been sitting here thinking that the last mystery looks every bit a Dyle et Bacalan/Société Aérienne Bordelaise product but I couldn't find it until I thought laterally. It's the Lorraine Hanriot LH-70 - aka the SAB LH-70!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    You chaps are all getting very excitable - there was me researching Michel Detroyat flying the HP Hamlet, until I realised you had two simultaneous threads running!

At my age I'm easily confused, you know..........

Anyway, baton picked up - on the subject of trimotors..........
    Good afternoon boys and girls!
    This is a Lorraine-Hanriot LH70 of 1932....and for me it's going to be OH as I'll be tied up the Whole day....
    Cheers
    BG

Oops.... I didn't realize Pomme-homme got there first!

Pomme homme has affirmed his reputation with the Bordelaise L.H 70 'Colonial Monoplane' (what a delightfully decadent appellation!) A pastis for himself.....

Thank you, lefty. And whilst you mention Bordelaise, I'm just about to open a bottle of Château Cissac, to allow it to breath, so if you'd care for a glass ..... ?

This afternoon I came across this photograph of a rather unconventional biplane .....

Blog Entries
    Hello boys and girls!
    In spite of the "swastika" this is a french Starck AS20 of 1942....
    Cheers
    BG

Perfectly correct, Baragouin. Although if André Starck had succeeded in his aim, when first flying the AS.20, it might have had a British roundel on it rather than a swastika and a Balkan Cross!

Members who have read this thread: 84