The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 326

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Thought this looked a little familiar. It's the older brother of this one I posted last October: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post756331

Jones S-125.

Good spotting Kevin. .

Thanks John. This one should not be too much fuss...

This combination of aircraft could only appear in one place - Spain, perhaps ??

The 'DH Dragon monoplane' is a Farman 402, and the bomber behind would be the Vultee V-1A conversion.

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    It should be a Farman F430 (or F431) which ended up in Spain and was involved to some extent into the civil war (russian pilots?)
    Cheers
    Baragouin

You are absolutely right, BG, - sloppy me - I read the wrong caption ! :redf:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    You are absolutely right, BG, - sloppy me - I read the wrong caption ! :redf:
    Hi Lefty!
    I'm sure yours was just a tipying error and you did mean Farman 430 (not 402 which is an entirely different aircraft!) therefore I feel the ball is yours and you're entitled to place the next enigma....
    Cheers
    Baragouin

I knew the setting was Spain, and in 'Aircraft of the Spanish Civil War' the two Farman photos are side-by-side. I read the wrong caption - very careless. I have nothing to post just now anyway, so please proceed with a Tuscan Teaser.........(always assuming you get the green light from Kevin, of course.......)

Blog Entries
    OK Lefty so here's my next beast....the aircraft isn't rare but the front view makes it a bit difficult!
    Baragouin

Sure looks like the ship on page 48 of Thompson's Vultee Aircraft 1932-1947. Vanguard 61 prototype.

For Mike and BG on the Farman (and rogue V-1).

Going to press on here, as I think the Vultee is correct.

Experimental?

I'm getting a bit of an Airspeed Ambassador vibe, but not sure how many of them would have worn the Experimental tag...

Maybe either one of the prototypes, or one of the later proposed variants (AS.60/AS.64)?

Not an Airspeed. This is not a mockup, as it actually flew.

Not an Ambassador - this looks like a low-wing job.

How about the Convair 240 Turboliner ?

Turbo-Liner it is. Nice looking ship I think. Over to the land of kilts and golf courses-

...you must be talking about Donald Trump, bless him.....

Here's a bomber -

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure to be wrong but this bird looks very much like a Sikorsky S-37B (XP496)
    Baragouin
    S-37-2, -37-B) 1927 (ATC 2-170) = 8pOB with two 500hp P&W Wasp; span: (upper) 100'0" (lower) 58'0" length: 45'6" load: 7000# v: 140/120/53 ceiling: 15,000'. POP: 1 [X3698], under a contract from Consolidated Co as their Model 12, for Army evaluation as 5p XP-496 bomber with two 525hp P&W R-1690 (load: 6315# v: 108/x/57 range: 575). Sikorsky amended the suffix to "-B," but while in the service it never did get an official Army designation. It did not meet Consolidated's requirements, either, and was rebuilt in 1929 by Sikorsky as a 21p transport with two 675hp P&W Hornets, which were replaced by the Jupiters from S-37-1. Rebuilt again and reregistered in 1934 as [NR942M], it crashed at sea in 1934.

Yes indeed, BG, also known as the Guardian. Where did you get those model numbers and that info ? - not much on the net and I have it only as S-37. to you.

Here's another photo, from 'Reuben Fleet' by William Wagner.

Blog Entries
    well that was a strike of luck! I only have in my files a tiny pic of the S37 and thanks for submitting both splendid pics of this aircraft in the military version.
    By the way I got the information quite simply from AeroFiles.
    Cheers
    Baragouin
    PS I don't have a suitable offer right now but I expect to submit one some time in the afternoon if that's OK for all concerned....

Blog Entries
    Well I found something that might be suitable! Here it is:

Baragouin

That is my photo I posted in another mystery forum! (She also appeared here a long time ago).

Thought it looked familiar ! (Can't remember what it was, though - the grey cells don't have much retention these days......:ques

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    That is my photo I posted in another mystery forum! (She also appeared here a long time ago).
    This being the case I withdraw in good order declaring OH and letting somebody else submit the next mystery aircraft....(for completion of the file as it is supposed to be said in bureaucratic language my pic represents the Agusta AG2 (a motorglider of 1927 produced by Costruzioni Aeronautiche Giovanni Agusta).
    Cheers
    Baragouin

No worries BG. Find us a new mystery!

Blog Entries
    This is an easy one and I hope it wasn't edited before!
    :isadizzy::isadizzy:
    BG

Members who have read this thread: 90