The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 323

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

DB, SAB, SASO, SNCASO

Société Anonyme de Travaux Dyle et Bacalan was a company doing metal construction, mostly for railroad. It established an aeroplane construction division, which produced the DB-xx planes.
    With poor success on the market, this air division ran into financial trouble. In July 1929 it was sold to Nieuport Delage and became Société Aérienne Bordelaise. The planes produced then were named AB-xx

In 1935, Marcel Bloch and Henry Potez bought the Société Aérienne Bordelaise which then became the Société Aéronautique du Sud-Ouest (SASO) which produced the MB-200 and MB-210 bombers.

With the Front Populaire government and the nationalization of the aerospace industry, SASO became part of Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Sud-Ouest (SNCASO) in 1937.

And the rest is history.

D.B. 81 it is! Over to the Scotsman.

Thanks for the info DP.

Yes, thanks for that, Dan - it looks as though France might have invented the acronym ! Oddly enough, in an early Jane's which I am lucky enough to have, these are listed simply as 'Bordelaise.'

Here are a couple of tubby wee chaps (takes one to know one...) from that very book. Looking at the amount of visibility available to the pilot, I wouldn't be standing in front of one.....

Too easy, huh ? Hope Texas is warmer than here at the moment......

Texas is already too hot for me. No comment!

Some of those RWD designs have those stylish art deco windows as in Lefty's photo. Other than that I would have gone poking into some Arado or Albatross builds.

Floater anyone?

Nice one, Kevin - hadn't seen that pic before.

It's the Borel-Odier T from 1917. 91 built. Started out as a torpedo carrier, ended up doing postal runs from Nice to Corsica. (Nice job!)

Interesting - at one time the three tail fins were separately painted in red, white and blue - don't recall any other cases of this.

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Hello everybody
    sorry for my long absence. I had a PC crash (hard disk..."kaputt"!) but now it is working perfectly and will soon participate again.
    Cheers
    Baragouin

Good to see you back - hope you didn't lose too much in the crash ! Backup, backup, and more backup !

Lefty is on top of the French floater as expected.

Sorry to hear of your PC troubles Baragouin. Good to have you back Sir.

Here's a nice shiny floater of the more modern variety. A snip for you-know-who, I fear, so get your answer in quickly !

This the amphibian version of the ICP MXP-740 Savannah?

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    This the amphibian version of the ICP MXP-740 Savannah?
    I was about to say 'no' but there is a very close relationship ! On investigation, I found a whole can of worms which makes me wish I had never posted it. Wout will doubtless (I hope) explain......

The GA world appears to be a slightly incestuous one.......

Zenair CH-701 STOL

From Wikipedia: "Zenith STOL CH 701 designer Chris Heintz considers the Savannah an unauthorized copy of his design"

Yes, it seems the copying got a bit out of hand !

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/7-photo-copies.html

It is indeed the Zenith. Over to DHC2Pilot....

Sticking with the GA theme.....

Maybe the ag version of the Aerosport Scamp, the Agricopteros Scamp B? Bit of a guess here without any photo to check.

You nailed it on the head Kevin. Found it while searching for the Zenair

Luckily there are not too many t-tailed biplanes that spray crops.

Here is dark horse to consider-

?? Don't believe I've ever seen this one before - reminiscent of a Magni Vale with a touch of Nieuport-Delage thrown in for good measure. Beautiful design whatever it is.

It was a very clean design. Unfortunately it crashed and killed the pilot near Etampes-Villesauvage, France in 1921...

Lumière de Monge ?

I also have it as the de Monge 5/1.

Thanks Kevin. Seems the French nobility were never happier than when eliminating themselves.... Having gone to such trouble with that lovely streamlining, they then go and stick a dustbin on top...... What do you suppose it is ??

Here's Easy Aggie - a lovely girl. I give this one about 10 minutes max.

SOH-CM-2023
    Don't know about the Aggie, but the dustbin on top of the Frenchie looks like a radiator for that close cowlled in line engine - trust the French to be different, most other designers put them underneath, or in front!
    Keith

Members who have read this thread: 85