The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 154

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

No problem at all....haven't seen this view of it. Larger and better resolution than mine.

From a well known manufacturer

And to think that all these years I've been blaming the French for making ugly aircraft....

(By the way, to us purists it is Svenska Järnvägsverkstäderna - the wee dots are awfy important, ye ken)

OK, you guys, you've been enjoying this, but I found it. ('had design problems' - I wonder why ???)

Shall we leave it or will Rob never speak to us again ??

If you know it, go ahead with the reveal. It's a cutthroat world. Dunno why Kevin clammed up all this time - I guess it's just his humble nature (COUGH)<COUGH>.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    And to think that all these years I've been blaming the French for making ugly aircraft....

(By the way, to us purists it is Svenska Järnvägsverkstäderna - the wee dots are awfy important, ye ken)
    My keyboard doesn't have funny umlaut dots......that is unless I use ALT-characters. Too much work.

The joys of Vista - the Language Bar - and a pop-up virtual keyboard courtesy of Kaspersky.

Shall we press on then? The beast is a Thomas-Morse TM.24. From what I was reading about it (along with design problems as Lefty said), the Army passed after tests revealed dodgy flight characteristics and too high of a landing speed.

And now for something completely different...

Big Russki - the Vintokryl Ka-22

Big Russki indeed!

Over to the lowlands-

Shall we leave it or will Rob never speak to us again ??
    I just woke up and only had 1.6 cups of coffee, but the second view hit home. I knew I'd seen it before. By coffee #3 I might have had it.. maybe.. perhaps. As soon as I saw Thomas-Morse.. bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    The joys of Vista - the Language Bar - and a pop-up virtual keyboard courtesy of Kaspersky.
    My only annoyance with Vista - somehow FS9/Multiplayer sneaks a grope with the language bar and converts to Francais which is another reason for not wanting to use that archaic Chatbox.. and I keep trying to deselect it.

Onward and upward!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Another era..

Dewoitine D.26 with a Wright Whirlwind engine?

Morning chaps. Yes, Kevin it was the Dewoitine D-26-1 of the Swiss Air Force.

Curiously, both airframe and engine made in other countries than that of their origin - the former by KW in Thun, Switzerland, and the Wright 9Qc by Hispano-Suiza in Paris.

to go with a nice wedge of Gruyère....

Thanks Mike. Up next, a fighter-

Well the Maestro seems to think I know this one, but not so.

Immediately thought it looked American - still do, but the motor is odd and the Scarff ring setup looks more Brit. Floundering a bit here.

Has a very Curtissy look, the tail is a bit early Douglas, and it is shiny all over - all it needs is whitewall tyres (sorry, tires).......

Not a Brit. Your first thought is your best bet.

Here is a front view. Note all the guns sticking out! Unusual for this vintage.

Douglas XA-2

Douglas XA-2 or A-2 it is. A cold one for John! :salute:

Well, for those interested Oshkosh had quite a few goodies this year. On Friday there were four B-17's, two P-38's, no less than 10 P-51's, three P-40's, one A6M Zero, three B-25's, two Avengers, one Hellcat and one Wildcat, two Hawker Sea Fury's, 3 F-86's, about a dozen Aero L.39's, two Yak-9, one Spitfire, two F4U's, two Harriers, one Skyraider, at least six DC-3/C-47's, three F-80's, two F-4 Phantoms, far too many Harvards/T-6's to count, one OV-1 Mohawk, F-15, F-16, F/A-18, A-10, C-5 Galaxy, etc. etc. That's pretty much the highlights of the warbird section.

The antique/classics had the usual Howards, Stinsons, Waco's, Fairchilds, Stearman's, etc. Lots of variety. One nicely restored Taylor Cub. Noorduyn Norseman, Several C-195's, a couple C-34's. Aeronca C-2 and C-3. There was a nice replica of a Bleriot XI.

Rutan Grizzly, a couple of MS-760's, Fokker DR.I, D.VII, D.VIII, Sopwith Camel, restored Eastern Airlines DC-7, TWA DC-2, two Ford Trimotors....

The ultralight section was overstuffed with models that I can't begin to recite because my conscience refuses to accept them as real airplanes.

And of course the visitor parking was packed with every general aviation model from Aero Commanders to Zlin's.

Didn't stay the planned Sat. and Sunday. My buddy had family issues and needed to get back to Minneapolis Fri. night.

Some pics.....

2nd batch....

3rd batch.....

4th batch.....

5th batch....

Members who have read this thread: 85