The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 924

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Another of those strange "I know where that is, now what is it?" backward solutions. Maybe I'd do better at geography quizzes than aeronautica obscura...

"In France, the Dorand Rotorcraft Company built, in 1951-52, an aircraft with an original design, the DH.011. It was equipped with a turbo-jet engine with double flux, the Turbomeca "Aspin I". The slightly compressed air of the second flux (the compression ratio was only 1.18) was directed to nozzles located at the end of the two huge blades. The cabin had four seats; the design cruising speed was 110km/h. Tests, carried out at Issy-les-Moulineaux were not as good as expected so they abandoned the aircraft."

Best I could emulate in Google Earth. Arched hangars are gone and trees are too tall now to see in Street View. Original probably taken nr Boul. Henri Farman looking SW

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issy - Dorand-GE-2crop.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Right place, right beast - and it only took an hour!

When that photo was taken, the best part of seventy years ago, I doubt that there were many airfields with intensive development hard on their boundaries (Heston is an exception which immediately comes to mind). Nowadays, intensive development on airfield boundaries is far from uncommon. The trouble is that, in many cases, the encroachment by development doesn't stop on reaching the airfield boundaries - which is why we have far fewer airfields today than was the case in the fifties.

You have control, sir. Please take her away.

I've always been enamoured of Issy and it's huge history, as well as other vanishing urban aerodromes - I learned to fly at one (Montreal-Cartierville, home of Canadair and Noorduyn).
    We stayed about 6 blocks from Issy in 2016 and the only regret was not having time to go there for a helicopter ride around Paris. I think it's future is safe for now with the large heli operation and the fact it's home to the DGAC.

Now, on to a (Lefty? Moses?) pusher-floater
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH 10-6-21.jpg  

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

2b or not 2b? That was the question.
    2b is the answer (not 42)

'Tis all yours!

Thanks ! On with what looks like a tin-plate toy .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_8399.jpg  

Carmier-Arnoux Simplex of 1922.

That's the one ! - it must have been very hot in there - not that it was in the air for very long .... - over to you sir ....

Thank you, Jim. Staying with 'flying planks', here's one of a more recent vintage which, alas, came to a sorry end.

Scott Winton's Facet Opal.

That says it all. Over to Texas!

Thanks Mike.

Bombs away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50f8d5929e144.jpg  

It shouldn't last long.

(I suppose I should know the answer. I have few more difficult wots, but I don't know their id myself)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wot210613.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	83205

DeLesseps Monoplan ....?

Yes indeed, the 1910 monoplan de Lesseps.
    Congrats.

....... Thanks ! Here's a chunky chappie ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brewster_xa-32-5.jpg  

Strictly speaking, Jim, this one is off-limits - we don't do mock-ups as a general rule !

Curiosity made me persevere. Mid-wing configuration made me think Brewster, but the tail unit was weird. Eventually stumbled on the early mock-up for the XA-32, looking a lot different from the others !

Try another one, Jim, or declare an OH. I'm off for the day - never refuse a free lunch !

......... Ah ! As a canny Scot you saw through my little ruse ..... It is the XA-32 , the plane that finally killed off Brewster .

I hope you have a good lunch - hopefully a few drams will help you forget yesterday's disappointments.....

OH please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wfwhv2o85hr21.jpg  

Here is a nice little aircraft that would be in the category of ultralights nowadays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 79DCA0FE-BEE8-48C9-90DB-1BF7D5EB49EB.jpg  

It has the appearance of a Georges Sablier design, but I think that we've done all of those which came to fruition and were recorded photographically.

Not a design from Sablier, Mike, and also not a one-off.
    If you are familiar with aircraft of the WW1 era you wouldn't believe that the (well-known!) company built planes like this a few years later.

The fame of the manufacturer bases largely on his fighter aircraft of WW1.
    It may be a surprise but he is NOT from France.

That, Robert, is a little Albatros L.66