The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 868

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

It is the Bee Line BR-1 Booth Racer

Over to Chris

Yes it's a DC3/C47
    Why put it on here? I had this for a long time before I noticed it.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LAODouglasDC3.jpg  

Been digging, Chris, and have soved some of the mystery. This started life as a C-47B-5-DK. Delivered to USAF, transferred to RAF, ended up with Jetairlines of Australia as VH-EQB. Here it is -

http://www.aussieairliners.org/dc-3/vh-eqb/vheqb.html

Don't know where the windscreen mod came from - presumably a bit of Aussie work ?

I was surprised I didn't notice earlier the windscreen. Seems a lot of work to modify. I know it was easy to spot but finding the story would be interesting. Over to you Mike.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Here's one that with a bit of tidying-up, would be quite a smooth machine.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flbp.jpg  

Albatross W VIII 1918 ?

It is the Albatros -over to Not in Kansas Anymore....

Thanks !
    Pretty obvious what this started out as - but what exactly is it ? Where is it, and why was it there ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 48016336086_0cddd31af4_b.jpg  

A quick step back to the odd C-47 VH-EQB-
    "This was the former RAF KJ881 based at the Woomera Rocket Range in SA.
    It had an all white paint scheme towards the end of its military days and had heightened cockpit win-
    dows so that a photographer could record missile firings and other tests as the ancient bird stooged
    down range. These were left as is when civilianized."
    http://edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austcl/VH-EQB.html

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith Chameleon View Post
    but what exactly is it ? Where is it, and why was it there ?
    One-off Fairey Battle engine testbed (Monarch) being evaluated by the US at Wright field 1939.

I am, not for the first time, confused. The photos I can find of the Battle show what is patently the H-16 Prince engine rather than the H-24 Monarch. Definitely 16 stacks there.

Worse, the engine in the Fleet Air Arm Museum, labelled Monarch, looks very much like an H-16 too !

Any more takers for this intriguing puzzle ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battle.jpg   FAAM_-_Fairey_P.16_Prince_-_251007.jpg  

It was at Wright Field in 1942 when the P24 Monarch 3,000 hp engine was under consideration as a potential power plant for the P 47 Thunderbolt ( what a beast that would have been ! ) before the project was cancelled ....

to Texas !

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    I am, not for the first time, confused. The photos I can find of the Battle show what is patently the H-16 Prince engine rather than the H-24 Monarch. Definitely 16 stacks there.

Worse, the engine in the Fleet Air Arm Museum, labelled Monarch, looks very much like an H-16 too !

Any more takers for this intriguing puzzle ?
    I've seen references to both - but most sources cite the Monarch ?

It looks like the Monarch ....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fairey-p24-monarch-battle-uncowled.jpg   fairey-p24-monarch-installation-drawing.jpg  

I was a little unsure as well Mike. I thought it was the H-16 at first.

Keeping the low wing monoplane theme going...

Mike and
    srgalahad thanks for the info on the Big Eyed C47. It's finding info like that, that makes the history interesting. Plus the thrill of the chase. Compared to learning about the latest update on software in the current aircraft.

Chris

C

Technically it is a license built Let C-11 but close enough.

Over to Chris.

Not in Aerofiles

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOTOct5.jpg  

If Chris will excuse me, a quick follow-up to the Fairey P-24 question. I received this from the Senor Curator of the FAA Museum at Yeovilton - I was wrong yet again !

Dear Mr Wilkinson,
    Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Fairey P 24 engine at the Fleet Air Arm Museum….and a question we are indeed frequently asked.

We do have what is a (in fact the) Fairey P-24 Monarch in the collection, and where it looks at a first glance to be 16 cylinders if you count the exhausts, these are running out of shared manifolds. If you study an image of the beast you will see that the cylinder walls have 6 undulations per side wall (and what isn’t obvious unless you are next to the engine is 6 spark plugs per bank).

One of the rarest aero engines on the planet and we are very pleased an proud to have it in the collection (along with the other unique H-24 configuration engine in the Wyvern, the Rolls- Royce Eagle).

Interest ING ! - Back to the mystery - From a company better known for hi-fi's and microwaves these days ....

Gasuden Model 2 Trainer sesquiplane from
    _
    gX

That's the one Uli on to the next one.

Chris

Here is the next. It might have appeared here before, but I couldn't find it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1i1i1i.jpg  
    _
    gX

Didn't realise till I looked it up that this was the first military aircraft, from the de Havilland Company, the D.H.27 Derby.