The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 769

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi fabulousfour
    Bingo! Built by Serfey Sakharov. Name Трамвай via Google translates info Tram or Tramway (?).
    Purposely built for para-jumping (up to 8 paras). Aircraft got engine fire in flight, pilot parachuted out and aircraft was lost.

Your turn, sir

Anybody needs a new toy to go fishing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-165.jpg  

Far from being a one-off, at least in its version with wheels...

Must be a Benson B-8MW Hydro-copter.

It is the Hydro-Copter!

Awaiting the next mystery from Texas, please.

Thanks Robert.

Something a little older.

This one was ahead of it's time with a streamlined fuselage and also featured shock absorbing gear. It was a sesquiplane with a lower wing (out of view).

It looks to be at the Paris Salon.

Once he posts a shot of this one in flight, Mike, I'm sure we'll all get it..........

It was exhibited at the 1912 Salon. Photos are elusive!

It featured a 70hp Gnome buried in the fuselage with chain drives to the props. The hole at the front was for cooling purposes.

The designer had several builds prior to this including one sold to the military. There was also a floater in the line.

Is it the Savary aeroplane (as opposed to the Savary biplane, also exhibited at the 1912 Paris Salon) - which The Aeroplane describes as not quite knowing whether it's a biplane or a monoplane? I'm going by description as I've failed to find a picture of it.

It is the Savary Mike! With no official designation we can call it the Savary Sesquiplan. It seems it was put on display for the last day of the 1912 Salon. I can't find any record of it beyond the exhibition. As his previous designs were all successful, you would think this one was as well, at least on some level. Maybe too many novel features?

Over to France-

I'm afraid that I've nothing on the stocks at present - so if anyone would care to step into the breach, please do.

In the absence of anyone else stepping up to the plate, here's a small biplane that I have recorded under an obscure name but it just may be something else slightly better known. Whilst leaving it with you, in the absence of an identification in the meantime, I'll try to research it further when I return home later today.

I am satisfied that this it not 'something else slightly better known' and is the aeroplane 'under an obscure name'. I thought that it might be the former which, post-war, was remodelled and re-engined. But as the person who acquired that aeroplane was the author of the article which includes the photograph that I've used, in which he doesn't say something along the lines of 'c'est mon avion', that seems improbable. However it seems that the designer of the aeroplane illustrated was not such 'an obscure name' as originally I thought. The name appears again - it is sufficiently uncommon that although I can't trace the forename, I'm reasonably confident that it's one and the same gentleman - in a more modern aeroplane that achieved a small production run and came close to licence production in Canada.

The designer of the biplane appears to have been part of the post-war circle of those interested in autoplans and microplans which included Dr Barret de Nazaris, Léon Lacroix, Gérard Trussant, Raymond Bourdin and his collaborator in the series of 1960s avions de tourisme mentioned in the previous post. This collaborator was also one of the smaller commercial manufacturers of Jodel D-112s in the fifties and sixties.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi pomme homme
    A Valladeau design?

No, Walter, but you're on the right track. It's the other half of Gazelle partnership at which you should be looking!

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    Hi pomme homme
    Then it could be the 1948 Georges Gazuit Microplan F-WZAP. FF 1948 and 40hp Train 4T engine.I had some text but never saw a picture.
    Would you know whether there is any relationship with the Lacroix-Trussant LT-51 Microplane, other then the name?

Yes, that's it, Walter. I had only the photograph and not the technical detail. So thank you for that.

It seems that in addition to being described as the Gazuit Microplan, it also known as the Gazuit GG.01 (q.v. le Trait d'Union).

I'm interested that you ask about the connection between Georges Gazuit's microplan and the LT-51. The possibility that these were one and the same is the reason for my remarks in my posts of yesterday. But as the article which featured the photograph of the Gazuit Microplan was written by Dr Barret de Nazaris and he purchased the remodelled and re-engined LT-51 after the war, without any mention being made therein of these being one and the same aeroplane, I assumed, rightly or wrongly, that these were two different aeroplanes. Furthermore, the LT-51 carried the registration mark F-WFKQ and the photographs of this show an aeroplane differing significantly (engine nacelle, interplane struts, undercarriage, fin and rudder) from that of Georges Gazuit.

And finally - for the sake of completeness - the late 1960s avion de tourisme, that came close to licence production in Canada, was the Gazuit-Valladeau GV-103 Gazelle.

Now over to the Netherlands.

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    This one is from the mid-1990s. Not a homebuilt, but a so-called technology demonstrator.
    Photo is somewhat hazy, but have clearer ones, if needed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quiz mid-90s.jpg  

I might know this as Global-GT3 with NLF-0414F natural laminar flow wing
    _
    gX

SOH-CM-2020
    Blog Entries
    hi giruXX

That is her! She was designed by Global Aircraft Corporation in co-operation with Mr. Mike Smith of Smith Aircraft Co and first flown 2/1995. Trials were carried out with help from the Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. Accommodation for 4, but during test programme flown as 3-seater. 160hp Lycoming O-320 engine, u/c built from parts/components from a Grumman Cougar, Piper Comanche and Piper Arrow. Largely composite construction. Though u/c was retractable it remained locked during the trials. Roughly the size of a Cherokee Six.
    Original registration N941GA as Global GT3. After she was retired the aircraft (w/o engine) was acquired by Travis Ward and re-registered as N702TK Travel Air and received an O-320 again.

Your turn, sir

Wow, what a source of knowledge! I can add that it was used for boundary-layer flow control: http://www.sinhatech.com/SinhaBackground.asp

My next is older
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x1x1x1.JPG  
    _
    gX

Wibault 366 methinks.