The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 737

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Indeed, Uli. You've spared her blushes by obviating the need for more of her veils to be removed! I wonder how many other aircraft were supplied with their own tent come hangar? Anyhow, over to Germany.

Let's try this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v1v1v1.jpg  
    _
    gX

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    It's the Chilean D.H.53 Humming Bird that appears at http://ivansiminic.blogspot.com/2007...n-militar.html. Although which of the D.H.53s it was, I know not.
    Dear Mike,
    going back to the queries you raised in respect to the DH Humming Bird may I give you some clarifications which I excerpted from the spanish text:
    "As far as Chile is concerned her origins go back to 1929 when DeHavilland donated to the "Servicio de Aviacion", as promotional piece, an example of the DH53 as reward for an order of 40 Gipsy Moth bought by Chile. It seems furthermore that this Aircraft wasn't that long in service inasmuch as her maintainance wasn't that different to the one applicable to aircrafts of major power. Also by the time she was transferred to our country the engine manufacture was discontinued therefore only a few spare parts could be gathered. Although literature has been searched there si no information about the ongoing future of this airplane in Chile. How she terminated her days and in whose hands it is unknown"
    Concerning the british registration you mention this appears plausible because all sources state that "she was sold abroad".
    This is of course an abridged translation but it covers all points of interest.
    Cheers
    Carlo

Thank you, Carlo.

My mystery is as close to the previous one as close as we are to Christmas!
    _
    gX

Sablatnig K.E.1 Sporting Monoplane?

Yes, it's her!

Santé Santa Claus
    _
    gX

Thank you, Uli. I hope that the following aeroplane sounds the right note for Christmas!

Don't know Mike's diddy bipe, but would like to take the opportunity of wishing all my friends a Happy Christmas !

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Don't know Mike's diddy bipe, but would like to take the opportunity of wishing all my friends a Happy Christmas !
    ...and so do I! Happy Christmas to everybody!
    Cheers
    Carlo

..... and may I reciprocate by wishing for peace on earth and goodwill to all men (and women).

I would have thought that an identification would have been forthcoming. But as it isn't yet, here's a clue .....

I would also like to wish my friends a Merry Christmas.

For Christmas, my lovely wife got me a copy of French Aeroplanes Before The Great War by Opdycke. Been on my list for some time so looking forward to studying it.

(Mike's front end bipe is a toughie!)

A Merry Christmas to all of you!

Concerning Mikes' bipe the penny has dropped finally.

I was wondering for a while, what kind of clue the musical note was and thought that the tiny biplane must have something to do with "16", maybe as the first letter of the manufacturer or as part of the designation.

Just learned that the sixteenth musical note is called semiquaver in British English.

It is the Martinsyde Semiquaver before her conversion to the Alula Monoplane.

Nice one, Mike!

Well done, Robert. I was beginning to think that either I was having my leg pulled or that there are no musicians - or, at least, British ones - amongst you, in consequence of the lack of response to the last clue. Were it not for Robert's penny dropping, my next clue was to have been that if it had been a US aeroplane, perhaps its builder would have called it the Sixteenth Note! Fortunately that wasn't necessary and, with another Christmas drawing to a close, I can pass the bâton across the border to Germany.

Thanks, Mike!
    Took a while to realize that the note itself was the clue. Basically I'm completely unmusical, just enough to know about the length of the notes.
    Didn't know until today that the sixteenth has a "personal name" in British English.

Here is something slightly more modern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-135.jpg  

That is an Overcashier O-12 from the 1929 Detroit Air Show.

Back to the previous, I am a musician but didn't pick up on the clue.

On that subject, just added to the stable a few weeks back with the purchase of a Fender Jazzmaster. I had lusted after it for much too long.

Well done, Kevin, it is the Overcashier.

Over to Texas.

Fortunately no manufacturer has been daft enough - yet - to name an aircraft the Hemidemisemiquaver (or, if produced for the US market, the Sixty-fourth Note). But the concept of daft aircraft names has just given me an idea ..... !

Pitcairn Fleetwing ?

Not a Pitcairn Mike.

It apparently impressed a lot of famous aviators during a late 1920's visit.

Here is a grainy view showing the pointy tail. A one-off that was reengined a few times.

Aye, they've obviously had a bumper grain harvest in Texas again this year......

I'm holding back since I don't like to play ping-pong, but according to aerofiles 3 planes were built, Kevin