The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 736

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

Carlo, this one is a bit older having been tested and flown in 1917. You have the right country of origin though. (My ham-fisted photoshop job on the fin fooled no one!)

I decided right from the start that this was an Italian lake, (looks like Como) but could not find a Macchi or a Savoia to fit ! More digging.......

It is Lake Como Mike...

Don't think the tail is right , Chris..... This is of some personal interest as the only time in my life I've ever taken off from, and landed on, water, was on Lake Como ! Probably from that very jetty at the Aero Club....

Not a SIAI Chris.

Of note: It had an Isotta-Fraschini V.4 engine.

Last gasp...this was from a well-known designer who had his hands in many projects both civil and military. He passed away in 1961.

I think this is the Pegna VI from Giovanni Pegna.

Done and done! To Robert.

Thanks, Kevin! It was indeed the year that helped to solve this mystery.

Here is another biplane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOH-134.jpg  

Looks to have Avro 504 ancestry.

Not from the Avro stable, Mike.

From a well known manufacturer that had quite a reputation for his WW1 aircraft.

In which case, Robert, is it the Sopwith Grasshopper ?

It is the Grasshopper, Mike!

Kind of strange that Sopwith went out of business after difficulties selling motorcycles...

Over to you, Mike

Thanks, Robert. Before I head off for my traditional Friday 'refreshment', we'll have another floater ! (Can't have too many....) (refreshments, I mean....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bigfloatie.jpg  

Arezzo (Italy) one of the beautiful tuscan hilltowns
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Thanks, Robert. Before I head off for my traditional Friday 'refreshment', we'll have another floater ! (Can't have too many....) (refreshments, I mean....)
    Finally something I know! This is the R.600 of Industrie Aviatorie Meridionali of Ricci Bros. aderivative of the R1 model….
    Cheers
    Carlo

I hoped you would get his one, Carlo ! Cin cin, and over to you -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    I hoped you would get his one, Carlo ! Cin cin, and over to you -
    Thanks Mike however I regret to let you know that I will be unable to submit any offer till at least Tomorrow noon (my time).If anybody would like to step in he's welcome to do so….
    Cheers
    Carlo

Blog Entries
    https://imgur.com/a/0tFWh14
    I was able to find some spare time therefore I'm submitting this fellow from Chile…
    Cheers
    Carlo

It's the Chilean D.H.53 Humming Bird that appears at http://ivansiminic.blogspot.com/2007...n-militar.html. Although which of the D.H.53s it was, I know not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pomme homme View Post
    It's the Chilean D.H.53 Humming Bird that appears at http://ivansiminic.blogspot.com/2007...n-militar.html. Although which of the D.H.53s it was, I know not.
    Hi Mike!
    Indeed she's the DH53 Humming Bird which I got thru the same link...next move is yours…
    Cheers
    Carlo

Thank you, Carlo. By a process of elimation, I wonder whether this Hummingbird was G-EBRA? I also wonder if it aspired to a Chilean civil registration?

As we are approaching Christmas, the season of festive fun, might I offer a somewhat different approach to the next mystery aircraft? Yes, we've had her before - but not like this, which is something in the nature of an aeronautical 'dance of the seven veils'! I suspect that I won't get as far as removing all of the veils but, to start, here she is fully veiled - but exactly as supplied by the manufacturer!

And the first veil is cast off .....

That's the Sablatnig P III

(I remember the photos from Flugsport 1920)
    _
    gX

Members who have read this thread: 92