The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux. - Page 72
Page 72 of 1008 FirstFirst ... 2262646566676869707172737475767778798082122172572 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 25194

Thread: The Ongoing Mystery Aircraft Thread Part Deux.

34-42 Niska? Apparently, the Ranger engine did not work out, and it was re-engined with a P&W Wasp; and renamed the Model 82D.

-James

P.S. I think I asked once before already; but does anyone have a 3 view of a Fairchild 82? I have a FS2004 model in the works; but it is based on photographs only, so it is less than accurate.

The is yours, James.

3-views ? A tall order, methinks.

In fact the Niska may be the most historically interesting of the -82's:

At Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, airworthiness tests were conducted in May, however, due to unsatisfying rate of climb the CofA was refused. In August it was taken to the USA for tests. CF-AXO returned to Canada where the Ranger engine was removed and a 600 hp Pratt & Whitney S3H1 Wasp was fitted.

The aircraft was sold as an 82D registered CF-MAK and was the sole 82D staying in Canada where it was operated equipped with either wheels, skis, or floats as undercarriage. Niska was named after an Indian tribe living on the Nass River in British Colombia, Canada.

"This photograph of Chuck McAvoy’s 1938 Fairchild model 82D (CF-MAK) was taken on July 12, 1962, while moored at the Float Base tie-up in the Old Town at Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Thus, this image of the aircraft on pontoons probably shows exactly how it appeared on the day it went down on June 9, 1964 about 100 miles (161 km) southwest of Bathurst Inlet near Lupin Lake in what is now the Northwest Territories/Nunavut border.
    http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/3312.htm

08/07/2003. From the Edmonton Sun newspaper: "Wreckage believed to be the remains of McAvoy's plane was found Sunday (August 3, 2003) near the border between the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, about 364 mls (585 km) north of Yellowknife.... McAvoy planned to land near Yellowknife, but the ice wasn't stable. Instead, he headed for Itchen Lake, east of Great Bear Lake. It was the last anyone heard from him."

http://ensign.ftlcomm.com/ensign2/mc...03/mcavoy.html

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Just did a Google Earth of Yellowknife, Rob. Some real vintage commercials scattered about that airport !

Since I mentioned it; here is a screenshot of the Fairchild 82 WIP. (Sorry, the FS2004 computer was busy, so I took it in FS2002.)

It is an 82A, with the same "banana tail" as the early Fairchilds. It also used the same wings as the Fairchild 71.

I did alot of "point pushing" to convert the fusalage of a 71 similiar to the one in the background to an 82. It worked to a point, and had the advantage that you could use the same texture files for the other planes in the "Early Fairchild Series", despite the differences. But, the mesh is bit of a mess, and still have lots of cockpit details to figure out; so I pushed it into the back of the hanger for now.

Onward and upward with our latest mystery. Well, at least onward....

-James

Looks like the Bruyere C.1. (Made an appearance once before).

Like that Fairchild James.

Yes, I like the Fairchild slider too. I have a nice pic of her sister on floats.

Thanks guys. Only problem with modeling it on floats is that I don't know what kind of floats they used on the 82. It is definitely not the same as the Fairchild P6 floats used by the FC2, FC2W2 and Fairchild 71.

Rats, searched for Bruyere before I posted; but missed it. This thread is getting too long. :mixedsmi:

for Moses. Over to you....

-James

P.S. Thanks Lefty for the great Fairchild 82 pictures; stashing them in my photo folder for future reference.

They are Edo Type YD-6470 all-metal floats, according to Jane's 1937.

Thanks. Oh, and after studying pictures of Fairchild 82s for months; your floaty picture is the first one I've seen that clearly shows that there is cylinderical section right in front of the cockpit. After looking at it, I've gone back and looked at my other pictures, and can see it now; but the lighting on that one makes it stand out clearly. Goes to show, you can't have too many pictures when researching something like this.

-Thanks again.
    James

And here is a wheelie version

There is a lot of detail in Janes re dimensions, weights, performance, etc etc if you are interested, James.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    And here is a wheelie version

There is a lot of detail in Janes re dimensions, weights, performance, etc etc if you are interested, James.
    Thanks. Sure, if you don't mind; that would be great; I've got a set of specs; but they are not detailed. A second source is also always nice to have.

Been digging around the web; the Noorduyn Norseman Mk. 1 & 2 also used the Edo Type YD-6470 floats. If I can find a three view of one; that would take care of the floats. And having the floats scaled properely will help make sure the rest of the plane is proportioned correctly; since I am just working off of photographs.

-James

Sorry for the photo quality on this next one. Pictures are hard to come by...

I suspect that is the only picture !

It's a Bartini Stal-7.

Well what do you know about that. A big frosty brew for the master!

Going to have to go deep into the stinker archive next time.

Thank you, sir.

Here's an oddball

I'm convinced it is another Russian...

OK, I'm sure that's a limp white flag fluttering over the Alamo, so we'll continue.
    It's a Petlyakov VI-100, precursor of the Pe-2. Pressurised cockpits and other features too advanced for its time (1939).

Here's something different. (yes, it's a bipe, but it's a military one)

Something USA, East coast? Not much to go on here.

Here is a slightly less altered image.

The location is France Field.

I thought i had it.. then the second pic confirmed it
    Cox-Klemin XA-1
    Purpose-built as an Air Ambulance ( one source said one of two built)

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

You got it, Rob.

Not one of Moses' dreaded bipes, and not a floater either although floats eventually became an option...

I know.. it's a light a/c but it did operate in commercial ( non-flying-school) service

It's a Taylorcraft/Piper clone ! That narrows it down to around 450......... All absolutely b****y identical.......

(Kevin, remind me of the penalty for posting one of those - it's free beers for a week for the rest of us in a pub of our choice, n'est-ce pas ?)

Thought it MIGHT be El Boyero from but not sure.

Anyway, it's an excuse to show the rather pretty !
    RR

De Vliegende Hollander